Can I VM to Windows 10 (already installed) from Mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HRJ21

Can I VM to Windows 10 (already installed) from Mint?

Post by HRJ21 »

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with Mint (my first Linux distro) for a few weeks now and I love it. It's my go to OS when I boot my laptop but I still need to boot with Windows sometimes to use some proprietary software for work. So I have Linux Mint and Windows 10 dual-booted but I would like to open windows in a virtual machine in Mint.

My question is: Is there a way for me to open windows in a virtual machine without me having to reinstall windows inside vm player? i.e., can I open my existing windows OS from vm player (or some other tool)?

I suspect the answer is no and that this is a stupid question.

Thanks
HRJ21
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Can I VM to Windows 10 (already installed) from Mint?

Post by Pjotr »

Better yet: you can download a free and fully legal VM with the Windows of your choosing, from Microsoft itself:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/oldgrub

Good luck! :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I suppose that the OP wants to continue to work in the VM with exactly the settings and data, which he has at now in the physical installation. I doubt, that would be possible, as Windows stores some files and settings during the installation depend from the hardware, which would be obviously a different one in the VM. In any case I expect, that a new activation would be necessary because of the hardware differences.
Riko

Post by Riko »

Hi,

i used to do that with Windows XP. There you could define different Hardware profiles in windows to boot to. You could create a new HW profile within windows and use the physical disk as HD for your VM. When booting from VMplayer, select the new HW profile and it will install the correct drivers for the new HW. Don't know, if W10 still has this possibility. You should search the VMware website where I found instruction way back when! :)

However a word of caution: VMware claims and I can confirm that this is a pretty dangerous approach and might corrupt your windows installation. And in fact I blew mine a few times until I switched to a virtualized windows (not booting a physically installed one). No problems since then!

Good luck!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

there are ways to convert your existing windows system into a VM:
http://www.robolinux.org/downloads/
is just one way. ..

" C drive to VM support package" - which is a script file.
& which can be added to any Linux System - not just theirs.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
HRJ21

Post by HRJ21 »

Thanks!

:D

Return to “Beginner Questions”