(SOLVED) 1280x1024 ATI Rage 128 Pro not working

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinuxForever

(SOLVED) 1280x1024 ATI Rage 128 Pro not working

Post by LinuxForever »

I have an ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro video card with 32Mgs of ram. It was made in 2000. The highest resolution I can go to is 1152x864. I'm using Mint 5. The system is up to date.

Is there any driver for Mint that will let me do 1280x1024? I can do 1280x1024 with Mandriva and OpenSUSE. Is there some special driver in Mandriva and OpenSUSE that isn't available for Mint? Thankx for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: 1280x1024 ATI Rage 128 Pro not working

Post by Husse »

It's a bit old but should have no problems
You may have to install the ATI driver - I prefer Envy for that, but you can also use the restricted drivers tool
Oh - it may have to be the legacy driver
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

Thankx for the help Husse. I'll try Envy and let you know what happens.
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

I used Envy. It couldn't install the ATI drivers automatically so I had it install them manually. Then It told me I had to reboot the computer. I rebooted. Oops! When Mint started to load a window opened saying displayconfig-gtk is not installed so I'd have to set up the drivers manually. I have no idea how to do that.

Then text came up on the screen, blinked off and back on, and said it couldn't boot KDM. There was a blinking cursor at the bottom of the screen. What do I do now? I can't even login to Mint now.
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

It's working ET it's working!!! Ok, I booted Mint with the recovery kernel or what ever it's called. Then I was able to start a terminal. Then I "sudo apt-get install displayconfig-gtk". I rebooted with the generic kernel. A window told me Ubuntu was running in a low res mode. I changed the settings for my video card and monitor and then rebooted. Then Mint booted into the login screen. After logging in Mint to the KDE desktop.

I had to click System Settings>Peripherals>Monitor & Display as root to set up the 1280x1024 res and I was finished.

Now atp-get tells me there are 16 updates available and the Mint Update icon says there 3 updates. Should I install both or just the Mint updates?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Now atp-get tells me there are 16 updates available and the Mint Update icon says there 3 updates. Should I install both or just the Mint updates?
Definitely not the apt-get ones - there are updates to the kernel and ATI drivers (fglrx) I have ATI now so I've sen it
There's a high risk your success with graphics changes into failure...
This is why we recommend mintUpdate - it sorts updates so that potentially dangerous ones are not shown (even if it has a bit of a problem finding updates in older versions)
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

You're right Husse I looked at the Adept updates and it's hal-info and dbus and kernel 2.6.24. I'll just install the mint updates. Thanks again for your help.

Return to “Software & Applications”