Too many Grub entries

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
idrank

Too many Grub entries

Post by idrank »

I updated my grub loader on my dual-boot laptop (win 8.1 and Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon) and now I have several boot menu entries, as shown by my /boot/grub/grub.cfg file:

menuentry 'Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.13.0-24-generic (/dev/sda5)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os
menuentry 'Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.13.0-24-generic (/dev/sda5) -- recovery mode' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os
menuentry "Windows UEFI bootmgfw.efi"
menuentry "Windows Boot UEFI loader"
menuentry "EFI/Acronis/bootwiz.efi
menuentry "EFI/ubuntu/MokManager.efi"
menuentry 'Windows Boot Manager (on /dev/sda2)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-efi-EAC4-D37B'

I've set the default to my preference, but I'd like to clean-up the bootup screen if possible (I don't think I will ever use MokManager, etc, for example). How can I remove these extra entries?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dyfi

Re: Too many Grub entries

Post by Dyfi »

Easiest way is to install grub-customizer.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Install Grub Customizer with the instructions found here:

https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter200 ... customizer

It's not in the repositories, so you have to install from the PPA.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
idrank

Post by idrank »

Thanks. Installed the customizer and it worked as advertised!

Return to “Beginner Questions”