newbie question for Open Office & other uninstalls

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ElQuia

newbie question for Open Office & other uninstalls

Post by ElQuia »

Hello everybody:
Questions:
1- How do I UNINSTALL fully an app, in this case OpenOffice? by fully I mean leave NO traces of it on my system.
2- I downloaded the new OpenOffice 3.0 from home page (the deb package: 157 mb),: How do I install it in order to get the gnome menus?.

Both questions could be extrapolated to any soft, HowTo uninstall fully, How to install getting the right menus in mint.

Thanks !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: newbie question for Open Office & other uninstalls

Post by SiKing »

To uninstall something you installed manually, depends on that particular package. Everyone is different.

To install use: System > Administration > Synaptic. Everything installed using Synaptic, can also be easily removed using same.
ElQuia

Post by ElQuia »

In this case I want to remove complete Open Office that came with Mint, and install new version 3.0
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

I would suspect that OOo3 is going to be in the Ubuntu repos, and therefore available in Mint, like by the end of the month. If you actually need to have it faster than that, then you probably already know how to do it.
ElQuia

Post by ElQuia »

mmm, it´s not that I need it. I´m Just a sucker for the latest, I´ve been using OO 3.0 on windows since early betas and it´s really cool. I know how to do it on windows :lol: but I´m a noob on linux, I always deffer to my betters :lol:.

What stems me because I have not done it before is uninstalling apps in linux ....
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

ElQuia wrote:What stems me because I have not done it before is uninstalling apps in linux ....
Each distro has it's own package management. From user point of view, it is definitely one of, perhaps the most, distinguishing feature of the distro. Ubuntu, of which Mint is a derivative, has Synaptic. Mint also has a more beginner friendly addon called mintInstall. The closest equivalent under Windows is the Add Remove Software thingie.
For some additional reading try this:
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 22#feature
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 29#feature
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 13#feature

HTH, SiKing.
ElQuia

Post by ElQuia »

OK SiKing, thanks for the data, will look arround.

Return to “Software & Applications”