Incoming connections disabled, torrents still seeding?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KabirGandhiok

Post by KabirGandhiok »

Hi,

According to the ufw default settings all incoming connections are disabled, why do torrents still seed then? Does this mean that incoming connections are active even though ufw shows they are disabled? I hope my system security isn't compromised.

ufw settings -
kabir@kabir-G50-80 ~ $ sudo ufw status verbose
[sudo] password for kabir:
Logging: on (low)
Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing), disabled (routed)
New profiles: skip
kabir@kabir-G50-80 ~ $

Any help regarding this would really be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NathanRodriguez

Re: Incoming connections disabled, torrents still seeding?

Post by NathanRodriguez »

Think the torrent client is seeding with your machine sending/starting the connections. You can try a port scan to see if something in your public IP is open.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

Blocking incoming connections isn't going to prevent seeding. You'll still seed to peers found via outgoing connections.
KabirGandhiok

Post by KabirGandhiok »

Thanks for responding. :) I understand it now.

Also, when I access torrent websites, there are pop ups which are most of the time blocked by Firefox, but sometimes they do come through. Can these pop ups compromise my system's security by any way?

I'm running cinnamon 17.2, fully updated and my firewall is enabled.

Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

KabirGandhiok wrote:Also, when I access torrent websites, there are pop ups which are most of the time blocked by Firefox, but sometimes they do come through. Can these pop ups compromise my system's security by any way?
Not necessarily, but possibly yes.

If you get popups this means, that either you have in the preferences -> content popup-blocking disabled or you have set exceptions (see the button beside the option) or they are driven by javascript.

The firewall is irrelevant in this context, because you have set (I am at least rather sure) to allow outgoing connections. Going to a side, clicking a bookmark or a link lets FF create a (outgoing) connection and the website uses this connection (by design) to answer.
KabirGandhiok

Post by KabirGandhiok »

Cosmo. wrote: If you get popups this means, that either you have in the preferences -> content popup-blocking disabled or you have set exceptions (see the button beside the option) or they are driven by javascript.

The firewall is irrelevant in this context, because you have set (I am at least rather sure) to allow outgoing connections. Going to a side, clicking a bookmark or a link lets FF create a (outgoing) connection and the website uses this connection (by design) to answer.
I Just checked, popups are blocked in Firefox and I don't have any set exceptions, but I still get them once in a while. Can you help me block them altogether? I'm not sure what you mean by them being javascript driven and if that's the case, could you help me in blocking them?
Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Javascript can be embedded in websites - and mostly it is - and leads to executable code. This code can be needed to make the website work, it can be superfluous and it can be dangerous.

Firefox has javascript enabled by default. It can only be disabled with a hidden setting, but this is cumbersome, because for the one or other site you visit it might be needed. But there is a fine solution with the extension NoScript, which disables by default all javascript, but gives you the option to allow it very easily, when it is really needed and the website trustworthy. Besides that the extension provides some more security enhancements.
KabirGandhiok

Post by KabirGandhiok »

Cosmo. wrote:Javascript can be embedded in websites - and mostly it is - and leads to executable code. This code can be needed to make the website work, it can be superfluous and it can be dangerous.

Firefox has javascript enabled by default. It can only be disabled with a hidden setting, but this is cumbersome, because for the one or other site you visit it might be needed. But there is a fine solution with the extension NoScript, which disables by default all javascript, but gives you the option to allow it very easily, when it is really needed and the website trustworthy. Besides that the extension provides some more security enhancements.
Awesome, thanks so much for this :) it works really well. I can see all pop-ups are blocked now and Firefox isn't even redirecting to other websites, which it sometimes did earlier, even though I had selected the "warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page" option.

Return to “Beginner Questions”