Nemo doesn't do the job: it hangs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bao2

Nemo doesn't do the job: it hangs

Post by Bao2 »

I have a 12 minute movie that I converted to jpgs. So I have in a folder 17620 jpgs of 1920x800 pixels each.

I wanted to move them to another folder so I selected a few of them in Nemo and it just hangs: a popup window appears saying it is going to move the files but it hangs. You end killing nemo and look if he moved or not the files. Yes, it moved the files, only it hanged in the process (I was looking to the cpu use and kill nemo when the cpu use was again near 0%).

I tried then with around 400 files only. All my tries Nemo hanged.

I deactivated the preview of images and also the counting of files in folders, my guess was it was doing the previews or counting. But no way. it continues to hang when heavy number of files to copy or move is the job.

So I was to Software Manager, searched for "file managers" and the best rated was "gnome-commander". I downloaded it and it remembered me of first years using Linux, probably it was this program. Ugly interface but... holy sh*t, does the work! I moved my 17 thousand files without any problem.

So: Nemo has a serious problem with heavy jobs. :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bao2

Re: Nemo doesn't do the job: it hangs

Post by Bao2 »

To try yourself, create some thousand jpgs from some movie with this order:

ffmpeg -i foomovie.avi -vframes 17000 -f image2 images-%06d.jpeg

where:
-i foomovie.avi is the movie you want to convert to jpgs
-vframes 17000 to process only the first 17000 frames
-f image2 don't change this. It indicates you want to create images
images-%06d.jpeg the name the images will have, numbered with 0 padding to the left

Then try to move the frames created with nemo and you will go crazy!
mashen

Post by mashen »

Wow. Sorry man, that sucks.
Bao2 wrote: I deactivated the preview of images and also the counting of files in folders, my guess was it was doing the previews or counting. But no way. it continues to hang when heavy number of files to copy or move is the job.
Exactly what I was going to suggest, we were thinking alike. Did you try also changing the view from icons to list or compact?
Bao2 wrote: So: Nemo has a serious problem with heavy jobs. :?
Yeah, apparently. Not suprising, it's got a lot of eye candy and it's pretty recent, even though it's a fork of Nautilus.
You could also get used to doing it through console commands?
farque

Post by farque »

Try logout and login to start a fresh session

Now open terminal and run:
pkill gvfsd-metadata

A temporary fix but it's all I've found that works. Otherwise I get stuck on "preparing to move xxx files" and ctrl-alt-backspace is the only option other than waiting hours? days? for 100 odd jpgs to move.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Do you really think, that the topic starter sits after 2 years and waits? :roll:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Kind of funny but Mint 17.2 will address this problem. :D
stevedonato
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stevedonato »

17.2 Linux Mint stills has the nemo bug. I found that not only does it Hang often, it appears that Nemo is single thread and cannot handle doing more than 1, copy, move, or even folder view, at a time. If you try a move or copy, then try another file function it says waiting for prior function to complete. In this day an age not to be multitasking in an important system function is Ridiculous. In one of the posts here the response was, "there is nothing we can do", FALSE. We can Change to a different more robust File manager and replace 'nemo'. There are many to choose from, some already mentioned in this post. There is also pcmanfm, spacefm, thunar etc. all are available via synaptic or apt-get. Also if you do copy/paste it does not display transfer speed, if you say "copy to" it does.
This Poorly designed Puma file manager, makes the maintainers of this code look like amateurs.
One suggestion in a post here of a workaround, was "logging out and in" this is no way an acceptable fix where replacing Puma is a simple permanent fix.
I am a long time software developer and nemo's design is just terrible. Maybe it is because developers of nemo started by copying "nautilus" code to begin with, and did not write a good file manager from scratch. A good design would not only multi-task many functions concurrently, but also be able to dispatch different processes into separate CPU's, in a multi CPU environment (IE intel i7).
They just need the right skill set in programming.
Sailor in Florida
prof.bhushan

Post by prof.bhushan »

stevedonato wrote:17.2 Linux Mint stills has the nemo bug. I found that not only does it Hang often, it appears that Nemo is single thread and cannot handle doing more than 1, copy, move, or even folder view, at a time. If you try a move or copy, then try another file function it says waiting for prior function to complete. In this day an age not to be multitasking in an important system function is Ridiculous. In one of the posts here the response was, "there is nothing we can do", FALSE. We can Change to a different more robust File manager and replace 'nemo'. There are many to choose from, some already mentioned in this post. There is also pcmanfm, spacefm, thunar etc. all are available via synaptic or apt-get. Also if you do copy/paste it does not display transfer speed, if you say "copy to" it does.
This Poorly designed Puma file manager, makes the maintainers of this code look like amateurs.
One suggestion in a post here of a workaround, was "logging out and in" this is no way an acceptable fix where replacing Puma is a simple permanent fix.
I am a long time software developer and nemo's design is just terrible. Maybe it is because developers of nemo started by copying "nautilus" code to begin with, and did not write a good file manager from scratch. A good design would not only multi-task many functions concurrently, but also be able to dispatch different processes into separate CPU's, in a multi CPU environment (IE intel i7).
nautilus will solve your problem....Just by simply uninstalling the nemo and install nautilus untill problem solves/fixes. Have an innovative day to all
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

prof.bhushan wrote:
stevedonato wrote:17.2 Linux Mint stills has the nemo bug. I found that not only does it Hang often, it appears that Nemo is single thread and cannot handle doing more than 1, copy, move, or even folder view, at a time. If you try a move or copy, then try another file function it says waiting for prior function to complete. In this day an age not to be multitasking in an important system function is Ridiculous. In one of the posts here the response was, "there is nothing we can do", FALSE. We can Change to a different more robust File manager and replace 'nemo'. There are many to choose from, some already mentioned in this post. There is also pcmanfm, spacefm, thunar etc. all are available via synaptic or apt-get. Also if you do copy/paste it does not display transfer speed, if you say "copy to" it does.
nautilus will solve your problem....Just by simply uninstalling the nemo and install nautilus untill problem solves/fixes. Have an innovative day to all
Pardon my laziness, is there a bug report about this?

I'm using the latest version of Cinnamon/Nemo and I'm always struggling when I have to copy multiple files from one place to another.

An easy way to reporduce this annoying issue is:
  • Open 2 windows of Nemo
  • Copy one folder with some amount data, (2 GB for example), from one window to another.
  • Wile the copy is ongoing, open another Nemo window
  • Watch how Nemo momentarily freezes
I also noticed if I patiently wait without clicking Nemo it does finish the job and the 3rd window of Nemo open on screen, it just seems unresponsive. I believe the situation gets worse when the amount of data increases.
prof.bhushan

Post by prof.bhushan »

prof.bhushan wrote:
Be carefull while uninstalling nemo. It also uninstall some supporting packages which leads to denying for password. And need to install linux mint again.
prof.bhushan

Post by prof.bhushan »

prof.bhushan wrote:
prof.bhushan wrote:
Be carefull while uninstalling nemo. It also uninstall some supporting packages which leads to denying for password. And need to install linux mint again.
One simple solution is. Keep nemo as it is and install nautilus.
gabrielfern

Post by gabrielfern »

even in linux mint 18.3 nemo has serious problems with file transfer
bernd.wechner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bernd.wechner »

I'm on 19.1 and it's hanging atrociously transferring really modest sized directories over a network mounted disk (NAS) to my local disk. Totally nuts for such a slick system. And no clear way to stop it. There's a stop button even on the progress dialog and you can click it and it responds but the dialog strangely stays up. I can close it with x button on top right mind you (of that dialog) though it stays in the sys tray and I can't kill it short of killing nemo.

Really quite unsatisfactory performance from a central system tool. Had to grsync to do the copy. Over in a jiffy. Good and copied.

Return to “Software & Applications”