Print sharing problem.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
squashpup
Level 1
Level 1

Print sharing problem.

Post by squashpup »

The desktop: Linux Mint KDE, hooked to a HP 1210 and printing beautifully. The desktop is hooked to a wireless router that is hooked to my DSL modem.

The laptop: Linux Mint XFCE, which accesses the network through the aforesaid wireless router.

The question: Why can't I find the printer attached to the desktop, and use it from my laptop?

I've networked printers in Linux many times, and for many different distros. I put in the printer's IPP as follows:

ipp://192.168.1.102:631/printers/psc_1200

psc_1200 is the name that KDE gives for this printer. 192.168.1.102 is the computer's IP address according to my router. But, I've also tried with the hostname of the desktop computer:

ipp://office-desktop:631/printers/psc_1200

Neither works. What else should I try? How should I configure either KDE or XFCE so that the laptop can see the printer?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Print sharing problem.

Post by Husse »

To begin with take a look at this
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... ing#p91330
AvanceIT has posted some nice explanations about networking, however he seems not to have posted lately
I've been trying to get my laptop print through my desktop but so far not succeeded (but I have only given it less than an hour in total :))

Return to “Software & Applications”