Adobe Flash 10

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sasafrass452

Adobe Flash 10

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Adobe just released the flash player 10, so I downloaded the .rpm file. But I can't figure out how to install it.... I tried following the instructions at adobe.com, but it didn't work. It said I need to be "root" to install it, but I have Mint set to auto-login for my user account. Can I use the sudo command? What exactly do I type in the terminal for that? I can never remember these things.... :P Btw, I'm still using Daryna, so I can't download the .deb file which is for Elyssa/Ubuntu 8.04. Or will that still work? PLEASE HELP!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sasafrass452

Re: Adobe Flash 10

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Anyone?
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Any help would be appreciated!
Blakers McAwesome

Post by Blakers McAwesome »

I think I had to go into terminal and type:
sudo apt-get install rpm

Then I just logged in as root. I think if you just switch users to Root, you should be golden. I just opened the file as root and had no problem.

I don't know if this really helped, but it worked for me when I was trying to open an rpm file earlier this week.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

I tried it, but I got an error that said it couldn't find the package. Now what?
Blakers McAwesome wrote:I think I had to go into terminal and type:
sudo apt-get install rpm

Then I just logged in as root. I think if you just switch users to Root, you should be golden. I just opened the file as root and had no problem.

I don't know if this really helped, but it worked for me when I was trying to open an rpm file earlier this week.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You can download Flash right from Adobe and install it. Just download the .deb for Ubuntu 8.04+ and install it. When you have it installed, the old version will be in "residual config" in Synaptic, simply remove it from there and you should be good to go.

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download ... kwaveFlash

I installed Flash 10 final with no problems. Image quality is better and the audio is a much better. No more cranking the speakers up to be able to hear.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Another failed attempt.... "dependency is not satisfiable: libcairo2". But that's already installed. Now what?
exploder wrote:You can download Flash right from Adobe and install it. Just download the .deb for Ubuntu 8.04+ and install it. When you have it installed, the old version will be in "residual config" in Synaptic, simply remove it from there and you should be good to go.

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download ... kwaveFlash

I installed Flash 10 final with no problems. Image quality is better and the audio is a much better. No more cranking the speakers up to be able to hear.
m_l

Post by m_l »

Have you tried to remove the old version?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove flashplayer-nonfree
I removed the old version and installed the .deb file. It's working
much better for me than old version. I no longer get crackling noise
I was getting from some websites.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Yes, but I still can't install the new one. I also logged in as root & tried it, but no luck.
m_l wrote:Have you tried to remove the old version?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove flashplayer-nonfree
I removed the old version and installed the .deb file. It's working
much better for me than old version. I no longer get crackling noise
I was getting from some websites.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Can anyone help?
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP????
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

If anyone cares enough to help me, PLEASE respond.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Their was an announcement about flash here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =0&t=17973
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Please see my above posts. I can't install it unless I resolve the issue I mentioned above.
merlwiz79 wrote:Their was an announcement about flash here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =0&t=17973
mikegahan

Post by mikegahan »

Dear colleagues
I had this problem, which occured suddenly without warning. I did try some of the suggested remedies. But the problem was that although I seemed to be able to successfully download and install the relevant Adobe Flash 10 plug in, my Firefox did not acknowledge :roll: it and it was not shown in the add on section of Firefox. However I downloaded the Flock browser from the get Deb repositries and that now works in that I can play you tube videos. I did try other browsers, such as the Mint version of the Epiphany browser but I could not get that browser to work at all ,and I had similar problems with the Gecko-mozilla browser.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Maybe I'm not making myself clear....
Sasafrass452 wrote:Another failed attempt.... "dependency is not satisfiable: libcairo2". But that's already installed. Now what?
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Well, I'm still unable to install Flash 10. I installed a few dependencies, but now the installer tells me there's a conflict with "libnss3-0d". However, removing that in order to install a newer version(via debian.org) will also remove Firefox, Thunderbird, plus many others which I don't want to do. Now what? PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

*bump*
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

*bump*

Return to “Software & Applications”