Can't install sound card driver

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kwatson512

Re: Can't install sound card driver

Post by kwatson512 »

That's the first thing I tried. It failed, saying either the file was corrupted or I didn't have permission. Tried again as root and got the same result. Do you know any other source for OSS drivers?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Seems like a faulty download - download again....
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

I just downloaded the .deb file and tried to install it, but got the same result. Package installer opens, but the attempt ends in this error:
Could not open 'oss-linux-4.0-1016_i386.deb' The package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file. Check the permissions of the file.
OSS offers .rpm, .deb, and .tar.bz2. Would the .tar.bz2 file work?
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK then I guess the .deb file is not for the version of Mint you have, things may have changed too much between versions
I can't say if the tar file will work, but I see no reason why it should not. But you may run into "dependency hell" and you have to know how to compile a program (don't forget build essential)
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Partial success. It was an error on my part after all. I misread the command to install the package manually. Double-clicking on the .deb file didn't work because I don't log in as root. So I used sudo dpkg to do it. But the print was so small in the post that I thought the flag was -l (not -i as it really is). So then I did a little research on dpkg and discovered -i means "install". Doh! When I typed in the command correctly, it worked. I now have sound, except for flash or other streaming videos from the web.

I think I'm nearly there.
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Don't do it! Save yourselves! Stay with the OSS driver (at least for now).

I noted that Creative Labs released the source to their XFi card for Linux (
). I downloaded and installed it, and it corrupted my Mint installation. Installation failed with a "segmentation error." The system would not reboot, hanging at "Loading manual drivers." I had to reinstall. Ugh.
kwatson512

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install sound card driver

Post by kwatson512 »

Eureka! The OSS4.1 version worked. I now have system sounds, sound in flash, DVDs, etc. Please see the well-written install procedure here.

I had some unique difficulties, but got very quick help through the thread I started here

My next computer won't have an XFi sound card in it, for sure, but I don't have to go out and buy new hardware. Hope this helps others.

Return to “Installation & Boot”