US Robotics ext. modem dial-up remedied

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cubby

US Robotics ext. modem dial-up remedied

Post by Cubby »

I recently had problems with a Best Data modem, or else it is the ISP and the heavy traffic of late, but I switched to my US Robotics Fax modem I bought a year ago that I haven't used in that time, as my hubby sent me these cheaper Best Data modems. I use a usb to serial cable to connect it to the motherboard. Anyway, I had a bit of a problem getting it to dial up. I finally have an excellent connection by changing flow control from "hardware control" to "none". I think the other option in KPPP is software control.
I also changed CR to CR/LF.

Interesting to see I am able to set connection speed to 115000. With the other modem I was only able to set it to 57600. In KPPP statistics I can now see data in the fields vjcomp out, vjunc out and nonvj.

Just in case this helps those few out there that :roll: have dial-up, and have a US Robotics modem.

Lisa
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: US Robotics ext. modem dial-up remedied

Post by Pierre »

Those speeds are from the PC to the MDM = not the actual line speed, that you connect to your isp with. ( 56k)
Ie: the serial port speed, which can get as high as 960k, although generally only to 115k. or 230k.
Don't get confused here.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Cubby

Post by Cubby »

Understood, Pierre, and thanks for enlightening me. I somewhat knew it had nothing to do with connection speed as I've read some about it a while back, that you still get -56K whether modem "connection speed" is set to 57600 or 115000.

Lisa
Cubby

Post by Cubby »

Since I don't like to be without a backup modem, I recently looked at MultiTech brand. I purchased the MultiModem MT9234ZBA-USB unit as the specs mention is it compatible with LINUX. Well, I found out from the read me file that I would have to recompile my kernel and module to get it to work, so I sent it back and exchanged it for a refurbished (no longer made) MT5634ZBA-USB v.92 unit. This modem uses ACM0 instead of ttyUSB0 like my other modem did. It worked right out of box! It has a USB cable, not the serial to USB converter cable like my other two units used. The Baud speed in wvdial is recognized as 468000, or something like that, real high, and in order to connect without problems, I had to reset it in the wvdial.conf file to 57600. This is fine for our telephone line, considering that it has been torn up so many times by the tri-annual road grader and carelessly spliced by the telephone line repairmen numerous times, it is a miracle we get a telephone connection at all. I'm glad to have found a unit that works very well and wonder why MultiTech discontinued this brand? Highly recommended for dial up users.

Interesting read:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-23.html

Edited to add this helpful page of changing the init string. Now I do not got the, "pppd daemon died unexpectedly" that I would get intermittently, but very frustrating as I would eventually get connected if I get redialing. I lengthened "modem timeout" to 85 seconds, changed ATZ to AT&F, and changed ATDT to AT W2 DT in the modem commands section, and in KPPP's connection speed, changed it from 57600 to 38000, or whatever the next lower speed down is. Mu husband told me to learn about the AT commands in the manual that came with my modem, but still, I wasn't sure what to use, so this how to did help and I am learning about AT commands at the same time.
http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/modem.html

Return to “Hardware Support”