Ubuntu 8.10

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mmesantos1

Re: Ubuntu 8.10

Post by mmesantos1 »

xnostradamusx wrote:weird i tried ubuntu 8.10 beta last few days and heres my experience

desktop

booted the cd and it just goes to the orange wallpaper and shows the mouse and it just stays there forever, i tried it on my vmware player and its working pretty fine hmm a bug maybe.

laptop

ok it work properly but still same issues my wireless still isnt detected in the hardware it says it is detected and already supported b ubuntu but why it isnt working?

some features doesnt impress me too much so ill just stick with mint and wait for mint 6

Actually I am just Beta testing to help make sure less bugs make it into the final release. This will help the Makers of Mint in the Long run. It also lets me see what some of the new features will be in the Next release of Mint that carry over from Ubuntu since Mint is based off Ubuntu. Finally for the bugs that do make it into the final release I will have an idea of how to deal with them. So in short I am not trying to run Ubuntu as my Primary OS. :)
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I have been checking it out, and have found a bug when shutting the system down, or rebooting. it just hangs there, no response, no reboot. I have had to do a hard reboot every time i wanted to shut down so far.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

exploder wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what was the old Intrepid wallpaper? Was it the circles going out in a spiral like an Ibex horn?
Yep, that was it. Man was that an ugly wallpaper.

Here is some information on bugs in Intrepid if anyone is interested.

001- CD-ROM tray opens and quickly closes on eject.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/280931

Gnome has "eject" buttons all over the place, (new feature) and Ubuntu puts out an RC with a bug like this!

There is a bug with screen savers also. I will have to find the bug report again... Screen savers will not stop from moving the mouse, you have to click the mouse or press a key on the keyboard to get the screen saver off. This one is pretty minor.
The CDROM bug is in the final release: Thread
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Yes, the eject bug is still there! There is a bug with the screen saver too. Moving the mouse will not stop the screen saver, you have to touch a key on the keyboard or click the mouse for the screen saver to quit. The release notes state that the current NVidea drivers will not work with the new version of xorg! NVidea user's will have the nv driver that does not support 3D. (I hope the release notes are wrong or there is a solution available for this.) There is already a kernel update because of a regression with time stamps! I would guess that a whole lot more bugs will be discovered and reported. This is what happens when developer's release by schedule rather than when a release is ready...
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

This is from the Intrepid release notes.

The 71 and 96 series of proprietary nVidia drivers, as provided by the nvidia-glx-legacy and nvidia-glx packages in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, are not compatible with the X.Org included in Ubuntu 8.10. Users with the nVidia TNT, TNT2, TNT Ultra, GeForce, GeForce2, GeForce3, and GeForce4 chipsets are affected and will be transitioned on upgrade to the free nv driver instead. This driver does not support 3D acceleration.

Users of other nVidia chipsets that are supported by the 173 or 177 driver series will be transitioned to the nvidia-glx-173 or nvidia-glx-177 package instead. However, unlike drivers 96 and 71, drivers 173 and 177 are only compatible with CPUs that support SSE (e.g. Intel Pentium III, AMD Athlon XP or higher). Systems with older CPUs will also be transitioned to the nv driver on upgrade.

Looks like people with newer cards will be ok.

Here are the release notes.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

exploder wrote: This is what happens when developer's release by schedule rather than when a release is ready...
Thank goodness for Mint :)
timhodkinson

Post by timhodkinson »

"thank goodness for Mint"

I've got both on my computer and after "upgrading" to Intrepid I had my first experience with upgrade problems. I started using Ubuntu with 6.10 and then upgraded through Fiesty, Gutsy, Hardy... and never had a problem. But Intrepid, although it seems a little faster than Hardy, has left me with less functionality. Flash doesn't work in my browser and I can't seem to fix it!

So I'm sticking with Mint even if they never upgrade it.

Mint is faster, has a better main menu (mint-menu) and has just be all around easier and smoother to use. It just seems to be one step ahead of Ubuntu, or at least just a bit more polished.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

to release by schedule is great! and that is the way it should be, the problem is when the schedule time from one release to the other are tooooooo short.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

I think release schedules should be determined by how complete the team feels the dev version of the OS is, so it can be extended should they feel they need more time to work on it. But releasing Intrepid with a bug like the CD bug? Considering they already knew about it, that's pretty poor form IMO.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

I bealive Mint has the same problems as ubuntu ( it is base on Ubuntu), and i bet you that they are going to release Mint 6 with same bugs or at least most of them :wink:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+bugs

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diar ... 1101085517
Husse

Post by Husse »

We'll do our best to avoid the bugs - but we simply can't avoid them all - Mint is after all based on Ubuntu
The general impression though seems to be that Mint is more stable
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I see today that the bug report for "eject" now has the status marked as "High". Many have reported the proposed fix as working and not causing any new issues. Hopefully this pain in the a## bug will be resolved quickly!
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ exploder
Up early? I see you are online at 12:30 (am) GMT - must be something like 6:30 in your location :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Up early? I see you are online at 12:30 (am) GMT - must be something like 6:30 in your location :)
Yeah, my pregnant wife does not believe in me getting any sleep.... :lol:
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Well, after hearing about Ubuntu for all these years, I finally installed it on one of my spare hard drives. So, I can now say I have used Ubuntu. To be honest, Ubuntu 8.10 is actually an excellent distro, and I really should have gotten involved with the beta testing. If 8.10 is any indication, then Mint 6 is going to be fantastic.

As for the CD ejecting issue, you just have to be quick. It is an interesting feature that challenges your hand-eye coordination. Though, this dexterity exercise is best done after a few cups of coffee, I have discovered.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

exploder wrote:
Yeah, my pregnant wife does not believe in me getting any sleep.... :lol:
Whoa, I have the exact same problem :D and it is 2.51am here. We should start a support group or something.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Whoa, I have the exact same problem :D and it is 2.51am here. We should start a support group or something.
That might not be a bad idea! :mrgreen:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Just received another e-mail on the eject bug. Fedora has released the fixed package. Hopefully Ubuntu will do the same.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

rivenought wrote:As for the CD ejecting issue, you just have to be quick. It is an interesting feature that challenges your hand-eye coordination. Though, this dexterity exercise is best done after a few cups of coffee, I have discovered.
:D

Return to “Chat about Linux”