Can't encode to Mp3 [Solved!]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
badmotor

Can't encode to Mp3 [Solved!]

Post by badmotor »

Help! Something has changed in my system, and now I can't import CDs and encode to MP3. The only thing I have done differently recently is install and use Banshee.

Is there an obvious fix? I am using Elyssa gnome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can't encode to Mp3

Post by frank392 »

Hi well the first question is what application do you use to encode Mp3?
and second if I were you is to check out if Lame is still there
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Usually use Rhythmbox, the option is gone. Tried Banshee, the option is gone. Had a look and Lame is not installed anymore.

*OK, I re-installed Lame, and rebooted, but there still isn't an option to encode with MP3 on Rhythmbox. I wonder how it disappeared?
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

I haven't used Rhythmbox for mp3 encoding. However your saying it isn't in the pull down on the music radial button on the music preference panel?
If needed soundconverter (gnome) works very well - if you can't get the mp3 encoding working in Rhythmbox..
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

newW2 wrote:I haven't used Rhythmbox for mp3 encoding. However your saying it isn't in the pull down on the music radial button on the music preference panel?
If needed soundconverter (gnome) works very well - if you can't get the mp3 encoding working in Rhythmbox..
That is right. All of a sudden it is not an option in Rhythmbox, Banshee or Sound Converter preferences. I presume they all use the same packages - I just need to work out what has disappeared.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Make sure you have "lame" installed on your system.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

exploder wrote:Make sure you have "lame" installed on your system.
Yep - lame and lame-extras is installed. Still no difference...
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Anyone?
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Check to see if you have the right version of GStreamer-ffmpeg installed.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

I have this:

gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
FFmpeg plugin for GStreamer ver 0.10.3-6
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

did you try using other encoder like:
K3b (my favorite)
grip or sound juicer
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

frank392 wrote:did you try using other encoder like:
K3b (my favorite)
grip or sound juicer
Yeah, I'd rather try and work out what the heck has changed in my machine. I have been importing CDs into rhythmbox as MP3 (so I can throw songs onto my MP3 player) ever since I installed Elyssa, and now something has changed and considering I'm the only one using this machine, I am a little baffled. I wonder if an update would have done anything?

To summarise:
1: All of a sudden, there is no option to import CDs as MP3 under Rhythmbox, Banshee or Sound Converter. This was all working a week ago.
2: I have lame installed.
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

Check for sound juicer in synaptic. It's the app rhythmbox uses to rip CDs and if not installed you lose the option to do so.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

@badmotor
Hi I think the problem with Rhythmbox is that they have updated to a newer version, I was checking the preferences and if you go to music tab the go to prefered format and you click on edit you will notice that mp3 are there but for some reason It will not let me set it. Is that the same problem that you are experimenting?
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

frank392 wrote:@badmotor
Hi I think the problem with Rhythmbox is that they have updated to a newer version, I was checking the preferences and if you go to music tab the go to prefered format and you click on edit you will notice that mp3 are there but for some reason It will not let me set it. Is that the same problem that you are experimenting?
That's what happens, yeah.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

OK!

I finally found what it was. I was installing Sound Juicer as suggested by someone under Synaptic Package Manager, and I noticed ubuntu-restricted-extras wasn't installed. I installed it, and what do you know? I can rip to MP3 again.

Just goes to show you need to be careful. I would never uninstall such a thing on purpose, but I must have uninstalled Sound Juicer at some stage... I wonder if that did it? I also have done a cleanup recently by blindly following (although I'm sure such a thing would never lead me astray) this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ight=clean

Oh well, lesson learned.... or not! (I don't know what I did in the first place).

Return to “Sound”