Linux Mint 17.3 “Rosa” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 17.3 “Rosa” Cinnamon released!

Post by clem »

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Linux Mint 17.3 “Rosa” Cinnamon released!

Post by Pjotr »

Cool! Thanks a lot! It's by rights the most popular Linux desktop distro in the world, and you've made it even better. :)

Have a Kronenbourg on me:

à ta santé!
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Thanks Pjotr, Slainte! :)

I'll have a Guinness if you don't mind though :) Allez les Bleus, without a doubt, but when it comes to beer... hmm.. I don't know, gotta admit defeat here. The German, Belgian, Dutch, Czech.. the Irish even are coming with very convincing arguments :)
NChewie

Post by NChewie »

Treat beers just like linux varieties, try 'em all and come back to the one you like the best!

[That's why we're all reading this on linuxmint :D ]
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

I'm a Guinness man myself clem. :mrgreen:
This new release I installed today, smooth as silk. Thank you and the team for all your great work.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Many thanks and Congratulations to the Linux Mint Team !!!! Tested Cinnamon and works really great in this Edition !!!! Thanks again.-

Now, I hope the Linux Mint Update for 17.2 and hope not delay Linux Mint KDE 17.3.
glhallway

Post by glhallway »

Did the upgrade from 17.2 to 17.3 all I can say is GREAT and the Nvidia HD Graphics are really improved fantastic distro thanks. Now I'm waiting for Mint 18 to arrive.
bugreprt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bugreprt »

Thanks for the release............. great fun!
I have discovered a bug using the Private Internet Access client. Scrolling to disconnect no longer works. It is perfectly ok in 17.2 and earlier. I am using Cinnamon 64 bit.
Thanks again for all your work!!!
Barton7724

Post by Barton7724 »

Thanks for all of your hard work!

I just upgraded from Linux Mint 17.2 'Rafaela' Cinnamon 64-bit to Linux Mint 17.3 'Rosa' Cinnamon 64-bit.
It took about 10-minutes to download and run the upgrade on my Dell Optiplex 790 desktop (i7 2600 - 16gb ram).

Two most obvious changes. The default wallpaper now says "Linux Mint 17.3: and LibreOffice is now version 5.

The upgrade notice is in the Update Manager, but not in an obvious place. I found it by reading a comment and following the update instructions that someone had posted in an earlier install thread.

Here is the comment that helped me to find the upgrade in the Update Manager and upgrade from 17.2 to 17.3:

QUESTION-"I see today on my RSS Feed than 17.3 was available, however my update manager does not show me the upgrade in the edit menu."

ANSWER-"Open the Update Manager, click on Refresh; this should give you an update (mint-upgrade-info). After applying the update you find the upgrade-option in the Edit menu of the Update Manager."
The 17.3 upgrade will be the 3rd selection down on the Edit menu.
B.Jay

Post by B.Jay »

Some should bring this bug to the attention of Clem and/or the developers ...

vwestlife: How to crash Linux Mint 17.3 just by clicking your mouse
(Link to a YouTube video)

Okay, while the guy is clearly a tool (he posted some Linux Mint related rant previously on his channel, proudly showing he has no idea what he's doing other than running his mouth) here's the gist of it in a nutshell...
If you have a floppy drive (internal or USB) and you click often enough on the "Floppy Disk" icon in Nemo without actually having a floppy inserted (for minutes on end - a clear case of while retard; do click();), Cinnamon will eventually reach a point where it crawls to a halt due to metric ton of error windows being open.

While this "bug" (I'd rather call it a "oddity") isn't really terribly bad it highlights two problems that should be fixed in Cinnamon.

1. A totally meaningless error message (Joe/Jane Average will surely NOT get the idea that he's supposed to put a floppy into the drive)
2. The graphical glitch going with the problem of "hundreds of windows in the taskbar" (the right side of the panel slowly shifting off screen - grouping them up at a certain amount might be a good idea) plus the problem that a error window is actually being tracked in the taskbar (as you can see in the video MATE - and other DEs - do NOT track the error window in the taskbar).

Like I said, this is not really a huge problem for day-to-day usage, yet I think it should be fixed as it leads to very unwanted problem.

You can actually reproduce the same problem by, for example, writing a JavaScript, for your browser, that does nothing else but trigger javascript.alert() messages in a endless loop - at one point Cinnamon will come to crawl where it takes north of 15 minutes to respond to a click even on a top-of-the-line 5960X.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

B.Jay wrote:Some should bring this bug to the attention of Clem and/or the developers ...
Is there a reason why you could not be the one to submit your post as a comment on the Blogspot page to which Clem linked in his announcement?
clem wrote:Linux Mint 17.3 “Rosa” Cinnamon released!
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2947
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
B.Jay

Post by B.Jay »

karlchen wrote:Is there a reason why you could not be the one to submit your post as a comment on the Blogspot page to which Clem linked in his announcement?
clem wrote:Linux Mint 17.3 “Rosa” Cinnamon released!
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2947
There is. Believe it or not but I do NOT see any "Post a comment" or "Post a reply" input box on the blog page (not in Chrome, not in Firefox), otherwise I would have actually posted a comment to the release post.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, B.Jay.

Oops, you are right. Right above the comments, there is a small balloon note which reads
Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
mers66

Post by mers66 »

i would like to know, (if) when kernel 4.4.x is going to be avaible via the mint 17.3 update manager?

i know there is the possibility to install it already, but 'officially' avaiable just feels much better.

thanks a lot
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

To Clem and all who've contributed, Rosa is the most polished version of Cinnamon I've seen anywhere...and I've tried a few. Many thanks, I love it! 8)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”