Upgrading. what just happened???

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
georgetoon
Level 3
Level 3

Upgrading. what just happened???

Post by georgetoon »

I was having a few little nuisance problems with firebox and the system. Nothing major, just a few that prompted me to log into Adept where I saw that I could upgrade and update. Thinking this may help, I did a full upgrade. No problems.:) Hooray.:) Then I decided to do a full version upgrade. Adept said I was going to move up to Hardy eron. Okay, click.

Well, something went amiss. Not sure what. So, when I thought things were completed, I closed out of Adept and re-opened it only to get a message that Adept was still running. well....I waited and then did a system restart..

Okay, the first selction in Grub tells me I'm running a new generic Kernel (ends in .15) I boot this and I get nothing but a prompt. I do a restart and get the same thing again. I do a restart and move down the grub menu to a selection that runs kernel ending in .14. Everything comes up.

I go back into Adept and it says that an upgrade and version upgrade to Hardy Heron is available. My system tray also now tells me that 779 updates are available.

Okay, before I do something stupid and completely break this system, can someone tell me what my next move should be?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Upgrading. what just happened???

Post by exploder »

Oh boy... Sounds like you accidentally started a dist upgrade from Daryna (Gutsy base) to Hardy. I have never had to fix this type of problem. Just guessing, try and use Synaptic to undo the changes that were made. The "History" in Synaptic will show the changes that were made.
Husse

Post by Husse »

It's already too late I'm afraid - I agree with exploder - he got here before me while I was answering other questions
Always use mintUpdate to update
I guess you had Daryna KDE
Never ever !!!!! do an upgrade to some Ubuntu version in Mint! If you push that button (don't think it's there in Elyssa KDE) you destroy your Mint
(I'm not saying it's impossible only that you need to understand what you are doing really well and even so the end result is somewhat uncertain)
georgetoon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by georgetoon »

Well, Okay...I'm still running as long as I select the second kernel. I juast checked Grub and the first selction is:

Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic

This one does not work.

the next selection is recovery.

After that the next Grub selection is:

Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic

This one works. I'm in it now. Everthing comes up. I did get an error message regarding an upgrade package that can't be launched.

So I'm thinking I should still be okay only because Adept is still showing that an upgrade is needed.

Just a guess.

Should I at least do the updates in system tray?
Last edited by georgetoon on Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Get all of your data saved off ASAP. It will not hurt to try and undo the changes but be prepared for the worst.. You most likely will end up reinstalling. the operating system. Unfortunately the release you were using did not have mint packages pinned in apt preferences. Elyssa KDE CE does not suffer from this issue. The bottom line is as long as you recover your data it's only software. It's a learning experience and wost case is spending a little time to reinstall the system. We learn far more from our mistakes than our successes. :mrgreen:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Make absolutely sure that "Dist Upgrade" is not selected and refresh Adept. I am guessing that Dist Upgrade is enabled.
georgetoon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by georgetoon »

exploder wrote:
Make absolutely sure that "Dist Upgrade" is not selected and refresh Adept. I am guessing that Dist Upgrade is enabled.
I don't think it is. where exactly do I double check this?
georgetoon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by georgetoon »

Found it. Preferences inMint Updae. It is unchecked. Updating now.)

Thanks. will let you all know how it goes.:)

worst case scenario..I'll have to reinstall. no big deal. been there before. I un a rack system. I have backup Linux distros (and Windows) that I can run in the meantime if necessary. Best case is things get updated and all I need do is edit grub and remove the "Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic" entry or, at lest move it down the list.

...or am I missing the bigger picture here??
georgetoon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by georgetoon »

QWell,

I'mstil here!:) As ong as I boot the "Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic" kernel, everything comes up!:) All updates were completed successfully. and there were a lot!About an hour's worth.

wo things hapened. wo apps came up in my system tray: katapult and Adept update manger. I quite adpt update manage thinking it would conflict with Mint Updater.

I've kept katapult as I'd like to know more about it.

Also, Firefox updated and the flash-tab problem is no longer a problem.:) (I was unable to play a flash video in a new tab when other tabs were open.)

I've launched a few programs (Amarok, Firefox, Scribus, OpenOffice, KWord, Gimp ) and things work. Gimp told me that a new Lib file was installed so I had to update the version of Gimp I'm using. I did this and it works!:) Whew! That's the one program I absolutely need!

So far,so good!:) (Knock wood!)

So, I'm wondering what may have happened. Did this upgrade I accidentally did also upgrade the kernel and, in turn, want to move things to this new kernel while keeping the present kernel in case things do go wrong? If so, this is brilliant!

I'm now going o edit the Grub menu so the "Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic" kernel is listed first.

Any thoughts?
georgetoon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by georgetoon »

And my screen savers now work! Gee, maybe this was a happy mistake? How would I know if I have any broken packages? I know synaptic allows you to view these. Any way to do this in Adept? Mint installer doesn't give me any error messages. Looks like my system is up to date and running fine.
georgetoon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by georgetoon »

Okay...ran into fist glitch. My scanner does not open. Xsane is installed. Scanners are enabled in my user group. But scanner is not found. What else do I need to do? It worked before i did all this updating, etc.

And VMWare no longer launches. so, i can't run my virtual windows. i tried doing a reinstall and i get a message saying this is not possible...i tmay break some packages. sigh...any way to get this to work? Do an uninstall and reinstall perhaps?

Return to “Software & Applications”