Move the dialog window back to the titlebar [SOLVED]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Move the dialog window back to the titlebar [SOLVED]

Post by gibbs1984 »

A new feature(?) in Rosa was to move the dialog windows to the centre of the screen but I preferred to have it on the titlebar, I've looked round the settings but can't see any options to change it, is it possible?

From the Linux Mint feature page:
Dialog windows are now attached to their parent window by default. This setting was already present in Cinnamon (in “System Settings”->”Windows”->”Behavior”->”Attach dialog windows to the parent window”), but it was improved in version 2.8; Dialog windows are now attached to the center of their parent window rather than their titlebar, and the shading of the parent window was made a little more obvious than it was before.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Move the dialog window back to the titlebar

Post by Cosmo. »

You can disable the feature as described, but there is no configuration option.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Move the dialog window back to the titlebar

Post by gibbs1984 »

Yeah I found the disable button, shame I can't configure it as I preferred it the way it was before :(
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
gwi
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Move the dialog window back to the titlebar [SOLVED]

Post by gwi »

Many thanks for this tip!

I hate the fixed dialog windows! To me it seems like a totally useless option.
If I want to drag the dialog window into another position (for example because I want to read something that is hidden by it) I don't want the parent window to move along with it.
Regards,

George

Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria Cinnamon 64-bit, Asus Vanguard B85, Intel Core i7 4770S
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Therefor it is an option.

The argument for this option is this: Without the option it can happen, that you click the parent window and the child window gets probably (in case of maximized windows: necessarily) hidden and the user has to make some effort, to get the child window back.
misGnomer

Post by misGnomer »

gibbs1984 wrote:A new feature(?) in Rosa was to move the dialog windows to the centre of the screen but I preferred to have it on the titlebar, I've looked round the settings but can't see any options to change it, is it possible?

From the Linux Mint feature page:
Dialog windows are now attached to their parent window by default. This setting was already present in Cinnamon (in “System Settings”->”Windows”->”Behavior”->”Attach dialog windows to the parent window”), but it was improved in version 2.8; Dialog windows are now attached to the center of their parent window rather than their titlebar, and the shading of the parent window was made a little more obvious than it was before.
Thank you gibbs1984 for bringing this up and to others for pointing out how this new default "improvement" could be turned off.

I'm sure it works in some user cases, but the way my screens and workflow are arranged means I often grab the dialog popup either to move it to a place where it gives me running status or just needed to confirm something from its parent window (now greyed out) and the change was uncomfortably disruptive for me.

Offtopic mini rant warning: :twisted:

Other new and more minor bugbears with Cinnamon 2.8 for me personally are 1) the Workspace Switcher app has a few wasted pixels on its top side so instead of just flinging the pointer there against the edge and have it work one now needs to carefully pull back a few pixels, and 2) [FIXED] the new panel icon popup representations are so large and never fade out that they can end up blocking useful content. I'm sure anti-Pavlovian muscle memory will eventually kick in to stop me from resting the pointer up top where my panel is but I'd rather just turn this particular improvement off too.

Of course Mint is still bliss compared to where Gnome and Canonical went with their take-it-or-leave interface dictates.
Last edited by misGnomer on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprintcowboy »

misGnomer
You can turn off the thumbnail preview.
In your widow list configuration uncheck show windows thumbnails on hover.
Should be the last box.
misGnomer

Post by misGnomer »

Thanks sprintcowboy.

Even after being told what I was looking for it took me a minute to find the window list configuration under Applets as I didn't associate them with the issue I had with the panel... :)

"System Settings" -> "Applets" -> "Window list" -> Configure

Return to “Cinnamon”