Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] How to make Network areas visible in Nemo window

Post by nathanjh13 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi all, when I sign in to my QNAP NAS nemo displays the folder structure there-on fine. But in all subsequent instances of Nemo (say, when uploading an attachment, or browsing which folders to compare in Meld etc) when the Nemo window pops up, the network drive/path isn't there, it's like it was never mounted...

Any clues? Should I change my file manager or will this be common throughout do you think?

Yes, I workaround at present, putting the file from the NAS onto the desktop etc, but it's hardly ideal.

Best wishes, thanks
Last edited by nathanjh13 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to make Network areas visible in Nemo window

Post by altair4 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:13 pm

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question so I'm going to guess.

Let's say I mount a samba share on another machine through Nemo. I will get an icon on the side panel to that share where I can see it's contents. But if I try to access that share in an application that icon is missing.

The way around this issue is to make a bookmark in Nemo to the parent folder of the mount point.

For example I will mount a share ( downloads ) on another machine ( at 192.168.0.100 ) in Nemo. The mount point is located at:
/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=192.168.0.100,share=downloads
If I bookmark the /run/user/1000/gvfs folder a "gvfs" folder shows up on the side panel of nemo and just about everywhere else including Meld. Clicking on that "gvfs" bookmark displays the mount point:
Meld-GVFS.png
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:38 pm

Many thanks for answering but it's not solved it. Screenshot shows Nemo Vs Meld.

1. In nemo, my "Network" folder at the bottom. I login to the NAS and mount "home on n..." as shown. Duly bookmarked (can't change bookmark name from /

2. In meld, folder tree as shown, no network no bookmark..

Thanks again
Attachments
Nemo vs Meld
Nemo vs Meld

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:57 pm

I just tried it with a new install of Mint Cinnamon and it works just a s I described it.

You might want to check the bookmark folder to see if there is something wrong with it. Mine looks like this for the "gvfs" bookmark I created.

For me it's at /home/tester1/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks and the line looks like this:
file:///run/user/1001/gvfs
Either way you can access the /run/user/xxxx/gvfs folder directly from Meld. Right?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:09 pm

The NAS has two access options, SMB and FTP, I've logged into it using both methods.

In "/run/user/0/gvfs" I get "permission denied"
In "/run/user/1000/gvfs" it's blank.

On here, if I go to attach a file it doesn't see the mounted folders (same view as meld). Should I ditch Nemo?

I'm still 17.2 there was a post recently about 17.3 not seeing NAS files at all so I've resisted. Thanks, sorry for the runaround,

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:14 pm

In "/run/user/1000/gvfs" it's blank.
Then it's not mounted.

Run this command in a terminal to mount the NAS:

Code: Select all

gvfs-mount smb://nas/share
Change nas and share to the right values.

Is /run/user/1000/gvfs still empty?

nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:26 pm

Thanks. Yes I think I put the correct values in, says "location already mounted" and still blank. Thanks for trying though, I'll have a longer look at it and maybe try another fm as a test etc. It shouldbe seamless like yours I know, maybe a 17.3 will help.

Thanks again!

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:33 pm

You might want to see if a package is missing although you should have seen an error message if it was missing:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gvfs-backends
Another file manager is going to use the same backend as nemo so it may be some odd nemo bug ....

Either that or go old school and use a cifs mount to bypass gvfs completely.

Return to “Software & Applications”