Laggy windows move since Cinnamon 2.8 / Mint 17.3

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jupiter66

Laggy windows move since Cinnamon 2.8 / Mint 17.3

Post by jupiter66 »

I have an issue since my upgrade to Cinnamon 2.8 (on 17.2 with romeo and still now after a full update to 17.3). All is ok after a fresh cinnamon restart (login or CTRL-ALT-ESC). But after a few minutes/hours of work (e.g. firefox on desktop#1, gedit and nemo on desktop#2), some windows become "hard" to move. When I click and drag the title bar, there is a very annoying lag. It can happen on some windows and not the others and I unfortunately I don't know what is the exact cause (how to reproduce systematically). Also, if a nemo window is laggy and I open a new one, the new one has no lag at all. I can affect at least these applications: nemo, firefox, gedit, calc, evince, archive manager. I'm not sure but it didn't happen yet on nvidia setting and banshee (but I don't play very much with these windows after they are open).

My system is not new (AMD Phenom X4, nvidia GT 430 with prop. driver) and I run the 64-bit Main Edition (17.1 updated to 17.2 and now to 17.3).
I updated the kernel to 3.19.0-32 + any other level 1 to 3 packages (including the nvidia driver) and it didn't fix anything.

I don't know if it's possible to easily return to 17.2 with Cinnamon 2.6?
But anyway, I would prefer a fix for 17.3. I could update the xorg stack but I'm don't know if there is a safe way to do this (and if there is a chance that it could fix the issue).

It may be related to this issue: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/4799
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Laggy windows move since Cinnamon 2.8 / Mint 17.3

Post by Dave B »

Hi jupiter66,

Does the same thing happen if you download and run Mint 17.3 as a live USB/DVD session (USB is preferable)? Trying to identify if it could be some configuration files, or older MESA stack.

David
jupiter66

Post by jupiter66 »

@David Black

I didn't try a live session. Eventually I will do a fresh install on another hard disk, since the issue seems to be related to nvidia proprietary driver. Also, it seems that restoring Cinnamon to the default settings (right click on the panel...) helps a lot. I have to conduct more tests, but the issue has then happened after activation of the "intellihide panel" feature.
JCruz

Post by JCruz »

Which version of nvdia driver are you using? I also have Cinnamon keeps crashing on me with the nvidia-304* drivers. See my post on "Help Mint 17.3 upgrade problem system broken". Try going back to the nvidia-173 driver or switching to Mate and see if that helps. I was so happy and my system was running very stable until I upgraded to 17.3. :( Hope I don't need to reinstall Mint to resolve this.

JC
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

jupiter66 wrote:... It may be related to this issue: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/4799
In that thread one user says that "Right click on panel -> Troubleshoot -> Restore to default helped :)". Did you try this?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
jupiter66

Post by jupiter66 »

@JCruz: right now I have nvidia 352.63. But I was not better with the previous version (340 I think). I didn't try to return to 304.

@Hoser Rob: Yes I know. This I why I tried this. Like I said, it seems to help a lot, until I activate the intellihide panel. Right now, I run without intellihide to see if the issue really never appears.
MaxL

Post by MaxL »

Hi there,

I have just installed Linux Mint 17.3 with MATE desktop, and am seeing the same weird lagging behavior when dragging app windows around the desktop. Tried playing with the window size, and it seems like it is only annoying when the application's window is relatively large in size. For small windows this lag is not very noticeable. If your window is comparable to the size of the screen, it starts lagging the mouse pointer big time.

I am running Mint 17.3 64-bit on Presario SR5450F. Installed it clean today trying to pick a flavor of Linux that works for me.
MaxL

Post by MaxL »

Actually, just found what worked for me:

Control Center -- Desktop Settings -- Windows:

Set the Window Manager to something that does not use Compositing or Compton. You'd get some jagged edges of the windows when you move them around your desktop but it is not as annoying as the lag that comes with Compositing feature turned on.

Cheers!

Return to “Cinnamon”