Linux Mint in the Wild

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skjones007

Linux Mint in the Wild

Post by skjones007 »

Is there a posting describing installations / uses of Linux Mint in the wild? Companies, libraries, schools, etc. Just curious how Linux Mint is used around the world.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
skjones007

Re: Linux Mint in the Wild

Post by skjones007 »

what do you mean by "hobbyist distro"?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

3fxuEqRtX45n8w wrote:Linux Mint is not used around the world... It is just a hobbyist distro.
Umm... excuse me, but that's incorrect:
If you look at the Linux Mint Community homepage there are only about 10 nations that have not had at least one Mint user. The US gets the lion's share of Mint users, of course, but nearly every nation has Mint within its borders. :D

I'd also argue that it is a serious thing. IIRC, Clem works solely on Mint and related things (such as MATE)--so it's not like he's a hobbist that only works on Mint in his spare time. Mint is also the single most popular Linux distro as per DistroWatch.
There's a thriving community supporting it--myself and everyone else on these forums included--and several big names in the internet world (such as PIA) sponsor Mint. Sound's pretty serious to me! :lol:

To answer your original question, OP: I recall that a "member" here, Librum, is actually a library somewhere in the States. I've also heard of Mint being used in the workplace, but most of us are either computer hobbists or ordinary folks who have found a great Linux distro.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Tar_Ni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tar_Ni »

Fred Barclay wrote:I'd also argue that it is a serious thing. IIRC, Clem works solely on Mint and related things (such as MATE)--so it's not like he's a hobbist that only works on Mint in his spare time. Mint is also the single most popular Linux distro as per DistroWatch.
There's a thriving community supporting it--myself and everyone else on these forums included--and several big names in the internet world (such as PIA) sponsor Mint. Sound's pretty serious to me! :lol:
''Hobbyist distro'' is probably not an accurate term but it's true that the Mint userbase are particulars, not really enterprises, schools, librairies ect.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm an enterpreneur. I use my computer for business as well as for fun. And it runs Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

3fxuEqRtX45n8w wrote:
skjones007 wrote:what do you mean by "hobbyist distro"?
It is not a serious thing. People just decided to make it on their free time.

And that is all.
Sigh... Complete nonsense.

Got bored and decided that throwing some flame bait in this forum would be fun? If so, stop trolling and get a life.

If not: Linux *itself* was started as a hobby project. And it took over large parts of the computing world. I fail to see how its hobbyist beginnings would qualify it as "not a serious thing".

Furthermore, for some developers (not only Clem), Mint is a business that pays the bills. And as it's built on Ubuntu, more than 90 % of it comes directly from a company: Canonical.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

This is not the first "hobbyist" comment from this origin lacking any knowledge[1] or explanation.

[1] Proof:
Clem wrote:Linux Mint ... grew and it's now something I do full time, every day and with no spare time left for anything else.
That was said already 2 years ago.
recluce

Post by recluce »

Professional services company here (financial and IT Audit, Enterprise Risk Management) in Canada. Linux Mint is the base OS for our IT Auditors and is starting to replace Windows due to privacy and security concerns. Windows applications (which we cannot do without yet) are run in a highly restricted virtual machine. About 50 people in the company.

That being said, Mint is not a server distro and desktop Linux is still not that prevalent in "professional" environments. At least in North America, the go-to distro seems to be CentOS and/or Red Hat for most companies.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I have visited many "hippies" living in the woods (I guess that's the wild) and most of them run Linux Mint.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Rocky Bennett wrote:I have visited many "hippies" living in the woods (I guess that's the wild) and most of them run Linux Mint.
It doesn't get much wilder than that, I suppose. :lol: Catch that hippie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wSr7h_pjxs
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”