Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintsane

Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX

Post by mintsane »

Thank you Linux Mint Developers. 17.2 supports all of my hardware. LM really pushes my logitech 5.1 sound GREAT, Far surpassing what I could get out of them in windows 7 ultimate. I am going to dump w7 and use/learn Mint.

QUESTION: I have a Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX. All the buttons work except the button behind the wheel that I would press for 'autoscroll' in windows.

I mapped the numbers that correspond to each button. Can I edit a config file to make the button work ?
Which one and how ?

Thanks and Thanks for an awesome O.S.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintsane

Re: Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX

Post by mintsane »

Sorry,

I use the 64-bit Cinnamon (i think it is gnome).

inxi output: CPU~Quad core AMD Phenom II X4 955 (-MCP-) clocked at Min:800.000Mhz Max:2100.000Mhz Kernel~3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 Up~12 min Mem~561.4/7983.7MB HDD~128.0GB(7.2% used) Procs~189 Client~Shell inxi~1.9.17

I really just need the config filename and location, I'll figure-out the rest.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Code: Select all

xinput --list
Is your mouse listed? Note the id#
then

xinput list-props id#
where id# is the is the device id from above
You should see a list of adjustable attributes for your mouse
Look in man xinput to see how
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI "mintsane",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

I am not highjacking this thread, but I too would like to know the answer to this as well.

Hi "all41": I would like your help with this as well, please.

I am using Linux Mint KDE 17.2 and I use a Logitech Couch Mouse M515 (almost 2 year battery life) and a Logitech wireless keyboard K520 on one unifying receiver, and this mouse also has a button behind the wheel that does not do anything, that I can tell. It would be nice to choose the global options for all the buttons, etc... Everything seems to work on the mouse except the button behind the wheel. The keyboard came with a different mouse originally.

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/produ ... mouse-m515
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Couch-Mo ... B004HIN8N2
~>xinput --list

⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless PID:1024 id=8 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless PID:2011 id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless PID:4007 id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
I am only using one mouse, but these are the results from the command and when I check "Solaar" information,
Index : 3
Wireless PID : 4007
Protocol : HID++ 2.0
Polling rate : 8 ms (125Hz)

~> xinput list-props id 10
unable to find device id
Device 'Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless PID:4007':
        Device Enabled (137):   1
        Coordinate Transformation Matrix (139): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
        Device Accel Profile (265):     0
        Device Accel Constant Deceleration (266):       1.000000
        Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration (267):       1.000000
        Device Accel Velocity Scaling (268):    10.000000
        Device Product ID (254):        1133, 50475
        Device Node (255):      "/dev/input/event4"
        Evdev Axis Inversion (269):     0, 0
        Evdev Axes Swap (271):  0
        Axis Labels (272):      "Rel X" (147), "Rel Y" (148), "Rel Horiz Wheel" (263), "Rel Dial" (287), "Rel Vert Wheel" (264)
        Button Labels (273):    "Button Left" (140), "Button Middle" (141), "Button Right" (142), "Button Wheel Up" (143), "Button Wheel Down" (144), "Button Horiz Wheel Left" (145), "Button Horiz Wheel Right" (146), "Button Side" (258), "Button Extra" (259), "Button Forward" (260), "Button Back" (261), "Button Task" (262), "Button Unknown" (257), "Button Unknown" (257), "Button Unknown" (257), "Button Unknown" (257), "Button Unknown" (257), "Button Unknown" (257), "Button Unknown" (257), "Button Unknown" (257), "Button Unknown" (257), "Button Unknown" (257), "Button Unknown" (257), "Button Unknown" (257)
        Evdev Middle Button Emulation (274):    0
        Evdev Middle Button Timeout (275):      50
        Evdev Third Button Emulation (276):     0
        Evdev Third Button Emulation Timeout (277):     1000
        Evdev Third Button Emulation Button (278):      3
        Evdev Third Button Emulation Threshold (279):   20
        Evdev Wheel Emulation (280):    0
        Evdev Wheel Emulation Axes (281):       0, 0, 4, 5
        Evdev Wheel Emulation Inertia (282):    10
        Evdev Wheel Emulation Timeout (283):    200
        Evdev Wheel Emulation Button (284):     4
        Evdev Drag Lock Buttons (285):  0
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I checked the "man xinput", and was wondering if there is a "GUI" for this?
couch-mouse-m515-blue-gallery-11.png
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

You can see if the event is detected by:

xev | grep button
This will display a small test area.
If the button event is detected there should be method to define an action for that event.
I can't really test that.
I have only one mouse with a button below the scroll wheel and it's function is to change the
cursor speed (cpi) which is quite useful for fine control--but the button functions within the mouse electronics only
and does not produce a button event to the outside world.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "all41",

1.) Thank you, I will check this out.

I am left handed, but I am also ambidextrous, so I need to have a mouse that is physically designed as neutral, so that I can switch from the left side or right side when I want to. But, most mice are physically designed for right handed. This mouse was not.

2.) Very Late last night (early this morning), I found this interesting post, but I have not yet tested it:
"BTNX" for Ubuntu 12.04 Precise - two programs "btnx-config" and "btnx", install "btnx-config" first, then "btnx"

"Posted by "Sadarax", "btnx" is the best mouse-button configuration program I have found, bar-non, in any operating system so far. (I've tried others but they are either too complicated OR don't do the simple things I wanted.)

To install "btnx" in Ubuntu 12.04 (assuming Ubuntu doesn't fix this glaring error themselves), just download the appropriate version for yourself:"

The Link below has other links to download easy to install ".deb" files for 32 or 64 bit systems
http://awesomelinux.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... ecise.html
"btnx-config" provides a GUI for detecting a mouse and its buttons. It then
allows you to configure those buttons for use with btnx.
This way you should be able to use all special buttons you're able to find
on your mouse.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/am ... 9-4ubuntu1
or
https://launchpad.net/btnx-config/

"btnx" is a daemon that can be configured to send keyboard and mouse button
combination events when a mouse button is pressed. It can also execute
commands. It provides an easy and quick way to configure mouse buttons to
your liking.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/am ... 1-3ubuntu2
or
https://launchpad.net/btnx

3.) Linux Mouse Automation Tool with GUI
"MurGuu" Mouse Automation Tool allows users to simulate Mouse Clicks along with Keyboard Keys on Linux."http://www.linux.com/directory/Software ... l-with-gui

Linux Mouse and Keyboard Automation Software Tools
http://www.murguu.com/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
mintsane

Post by mintsane »

That's fine phd21, there isn't alot of info on tweaking mice with Linux.

Thanks for the info all41 and phd21. Being new to Linux I didn't have info to post.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI "mintsane",

You are welcome.

There are mouse programs in all editions of Linux Mint, but they do not address the extra buttons available on most newer mice, ex: "gpointing-device-settings", & others like "imwheel", "wmbutton"?.

I forgot to include these links below... that has some good information below.

How to Customize Extra Mouse Buttons in Linux - Using "Btnx"
http://www.ghacks.net/2011/06/28/how-to ... -in-linux/

ManyButtonsMouseHowto
This page describes how to configure Ubuntu to fully utilize a mouse with multiple buttons, wheels, and other controls.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManyButtonsMouseHowto

To remap mouse buttons permanently...
http://wiki.mbirth.de/know-how/software ... ttons.html

Cool Tricks with Xinput Device
http://www.linux.org/threads/cool-trick ... vice.6178/

USB Human Interface Device (HID) Configuration
http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html

Hope this helps ...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "mintsane"

Okay, I installed BTNX-Config, then BTNX, (32bit for me) and it installed and worked. I have just installed it, and went through the configuration to detect the mouse and the buttons. Pretty cool and very simple. You click button on top to start button detection, then click a button, like the left mouse button a few times until the progress bar is full, click add, then do another button the same way. Then, click the buttons tab, pick a button, to "enable" it, and assign functions to the key(s). You do not need to assign anything to the normal mouse buttons that do work, or to enable them in BTNX, unless you want to assign other functions...

This program, or something like it, should be part of all Linux Mint editions. See Screen Shots below.

BTNX-MouseConfig-1.jpg
BTNX-MouseConfig-2.jpg
BTNX-MouseConfig-3.jpg
mintsane

Post by mintsane »

Thanks pid21 for the plethora of info links and your detailed documentation with BTNX. :D
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "mintsane",

You are most welcome.

I think that using BTNX, especially for the one button behind the mouse wheel, is the easiest way so far. Let us know if you use it, what you think of it. If you chose a different method, let us know which one(s) and how it worked out for you, please.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
mintsane

Post by mintsane »

Hi phd21,

You had a Joy filled Christmas I hope.

Must BTNX use the mouse key in conjunction with a keyboard key ?

Thanks
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "mintsane",

I do not think that is necessary. The other setup options which can use a 'modifier" key are to program other possible functions and actions to that same mouse button(s).

To be honest, I have not programmed my extra mouse button behind the wheel using BTNX yet, because while I was helping another user out with something, I noticed something else. In my Linux Mint KDE, if I right click the desktop, select the last option for various desktop settings, there is a mouse section, see screen shot below. I was going to add a mouse action by clicking the +add action button, which then you can click a mouse key or a combination of keys and a mouse button, when I clicked that button behind the wheel, it said that the button was already assigned, did I want to re-assign it? I thought I would first try to find out what is assigned to it, before doing that. So far, I have not figured out what that button does. And, I have not spent a lot of time recently to find out.
snapshot2.png
mintsane

Post by mintsane »

Thanks phd21.

I have not remapped any buttons with my mouse, yet; on mine the button behind the wheel 'Pastes' the text I've copied and when pressed simultaneously with the keyboard Ctrl key while positioning the cursor on the 'title bar', it switches between windows; like pressing Alt + Tab on the keyboard. Oh, just remembered this; in windows the middle button would Open or Close Tabs in Firefox, Palemoon and IE as well as auto-scroll. Here in Linux it does the Tabs thing also.

I think it was made to initiate auto-scroll so as not to have to grab the keyboard all the time, although learning bash is bringing the keyboard back front and center.Still looking for how to remap that mid button. I'm getting closer. Linux sees the button and I prefer to remap it in bash.
Last edited by mintsane on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "mintsane",

You are welcome.

I can confirm that my mouse button behind the wheel seems to perform the same function(s) that you describe, which seems pretty useless to me, so I will change it. Some people use it for auto-scrolling, or for changing the mouse's resolution. When I press the wheel down, another button press action function, that seems to turn on auto-scrolling on mine. That particular wheel mouse button's press action is difficult to assign in BTNX without it also scrolling a little forwards or backwards which makes assigning that wheel mouse button physically difficult to do, because you get a combination of actions, thus typing in a re-map action would be better for that one button's press action.

Although I am getting pretty proficient with the terminal commands and bash scripting, I would prefer using a graphical user interface (GUI ) to do this, as I am sure most users would, especially new users, thus the "BTNX" and other programs would be very helpful.

All those links that I provided have more than enough information to re-map any of the buttons and their button press actions, and or to assign other functions to them. Let us know which method you chose, and how you did it, and what function you decided to "map" to that particular button's actions, please. I will do the same when I get a chance. Thanks.

Return to “Hardware Support”