Going to try another Dual boot install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rokytnji

Going to try another Dual boot install

Post by rokytnji »

Hello, I tried once before to install Mint on a IBM M41 1.8 GHZ, 1 gig ram, 200 gig hardrive. I currently have Ubuntu installed in Windows XP using the Wubi install. I had a bios limitation of 127 gigs in Windows XP and also in my bios. I enabled big LBA in Windows and made a partition F that was approx 60 gig. I didn't do a bios upgrade at this time. I went and did the install manually to the second drive F making a 512 mb Primary swap partition and the rest was just a / primary partition. Did the install and I must of selected the wrong Grub option on where to install grub, because when I rebooted I received the dreaded GRUB 17 error. I proceeded to try and rectify this on my own and downloaded and burnt a Super grub disk. As I went through the options, I was able to boot Ubuntu from the Windows boot screen. Booting Windows gave me a BSOD. I booted into Ubuntu and went into boot file and then opened grub file and had to delete the sda01 grub entry. Windows is on the hda0 entry. Hardrive is IDE so I don't know why Mint called it a sd drive instead of a hd drive. Deleting that fixed the Windows boot problem. Now before I did all this I tried to get Mint to boot up using Supergrub but the error I received was a bios not supported error. I said fine and erased drive F to start over. I went to IBM site and upgraded bios also so now my drive 0 registers in bios as 200 gig. Right now I have a working install of Windows and Ubuntu (via Wubi) using Windows Bootloader. I am posting this blog/question running Mint right now in Live CD mode. All I need to do is hit install. My question after this long winded description is.

1. Where should I tell grub to go when asked during install. Drive F or Drive C (Windows and Ubuntu)
2.Is Wubi Ubuntu still going to be an option or should I uninstall it before I go for the Mint install.

I just want to have a selection to boot from when I do this install. I don't care if its a Windows or Grub menu. I just don't want to lock this up like I did with my last snafu. I am a bit familiar with dualboot as my laptop already runs XP and Ubuntu, but on a 100 gig drive that didn't have this 127 gig limit issue. As described above, I think I have resolved that issue, though I don't want to wipe drive C to start out with a 200 gig drive C and shrink it to install Mint. Let me stress again that my Windows shows my 2 partitions as drives, not partitions. I have about 40 gig of stuff on the Windows Drive but Ubuntu is helping at packing it up. Sorry about the long winded post, but I figured the more info I gave, the easier to answer. Thank you, rokytnji
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rokytnji

Re: Going to try another Dual boot install

Post by rokytnji »

Screenshot--dev-sda - GParted.png
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Well, The drive is now being wiped With Killdisk so I can have access to the whole 200 gigs and I will go about doing a dualboot install the way I am already familiar with. Thanks for all the replys.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

rokytnji wrote:Well, The drive is now being wiped With Killdisk so I can have access to the whole 200 gigs and I will go about doing a dualboot install the way I am already familiar with. Thanks for all the replys.
Wait - is that sarcasm because you didn't get immediate free advice? :?:

Return to “Installation & Boot”