Mint Update update keeps reappearing

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wheelspin
Level 2
Level 2

Mint Update update keeps reappearing

Post by Wheelspin »

I had a couple of updates appear that I had already installed. They were both updates for the Mint Update system. I installed them again and then a load of other updates appeared. I installed all of those and got "System up to date".
A little while later I clicked the Refresh button in the Software Manager and the two Mint Update upgrades that I'd previously installed re-appeared. I installed them again and the same list of other updates appeared again.

I seem to be going round in a loop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint Update update keeps reappearing

Post by all41 »

Hi,
Try updating your package list in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
Then refresh the update manager and install the updates.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
cogier
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cogier »

I agree with all41. This needs to done in the Terminal so that you can see if you get any errors which you can post here to get further help.
Wheelspin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wheelspin »

Tried a full update and upgrade from the CLI and got the same result in the update window. No errors at all reported from apt-get.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Wheelspin wrote:two Mint Update upgrades that I'd previously installed re-appeared.
Which packages?
Which is the old version and which the new version? You must probably make the needed columns visible in the display menu of the update manager.

Also tell us th version of Mint and the desktop environment. If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.
coder123

Post by coder123 »

I agree with Cosmo but also what happens when you use the update manager? What does it show that needs updating and what happens when you try to let it run updating? Does it fail updating? Also FYI you can go into preferences->startup apps and disable it.
Wheelspin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wheelspin »

Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13
Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela

Packages:
mintupdate Old: 4.9.3.2 New: 4.9.3.3
mint-upgrade-info Old: 1.0.3 New: 1.0.4
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Open in the update manager help menu -> about. What does it say about the version number?

Note, that this problem is critical, as you don't get any other updates via the update manager, as long as those packages are not up-to-date (and Mint is convinced, that you have those 2 updated packages).
Wheelspin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wheelspin »

mintInstall 7.6.2
Wheelspin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wheelspin »

Sorry, brain dead (and it's late).

mintUpdate 4.9.3.2
Wheelspin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wheelspin »

Cosmo. wrote:Note, that this problem is critical, as you don't get any other updates via the update manager, as long as those packages are not up-to-date (and Mint is convinced, that you have those 2 updated packages).
The odd thing is that they install successfully and the update program allows me to install all of the subsequent updates. It's only after a reboot that it is all reset.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Go in your file manager to /var/cache/apt/archives and search for the packages mintupdate*.deb and mint-upgrade-info*.deb. Do you see there the new versions (4.9.3.3 respectively 1.0.4) or only the older ones? After you opened the file manager go at first to file system at the left side, than you can navigate to the said path.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Cosmo is putting the crosshairs on this problem.
It would also be interesting to see how Synaptic history is reporting/logging updates.
In the Syanaptics toolbar: File/History
Screenshot.png
also shows the directory for archives
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Wheelspin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wheelspin »

Cosmo. wrote:Go in your file manager to /var/cache/apt/archives and search for the packages mintupdate*.deb and mint-upgrade-info*.deb. Do you see there the new versions (4.9.3.3 respectively 1.0.4) or only the older ones? After you opened the file manager go at first to file system at the left side, than you can navigate to the said path.

$ ls mintupdate* -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 305388 Jan 11  2015 mintupdate_4.8.1_all.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116530 Jun 27  2015 mintupdate_4.9.0_all.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116576 Jul  3 12:33 mintupdate_4.9.2_all.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116938 Sep 23 21:27 mintupdate_4.9.3.1_all.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116928 Sep 25 16:04 mintupdate_4.9.3.2_all.deb
$ ls mint-upgrade-info* -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  93848 Jun 27  2015 mint-upgrade-info_1.0.1_all.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  93914 Jul  3 12:33 mint-upgrade-info_1.0.2_all.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 188412 Jul 23 16:41 mint-upgrade-info_1.0.3_all.deb
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There is no hint for the new packages.

Please do also what all41 advised.

Next do the updates for those 2 packages again. This time do not apply the other updates, if the update manager reappears, but open the menu help -> about and report, which version it shows after the update. I guess, that it will still show 4.9.3.2. If this is the case click the refresh button in the update manager window, I assume, that those 2 updates will reappear.
Wheelspin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wheelspin »

all41 wrote:Cosmo is putting the crosshairs on this problem.
It would also be interesting to see how Synaptic history is reporting/logging updates.
In the Syanaptics toolbar: File/History
Screenshot.png
also shows the directory for archives
Nothing in the Synaptic Package Manager history since the 1st Dec.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I suspected this result.

Don't overlook the last advice in my previous post.
Locutus of Borg

Post by Locutus of Borg »

I've got a similar problem with the Update Manager. Help --> About shows mintUpdate 4.9.3.3 I'm stuck in the same kind of loop as user Wheelspin. There's only one update appearing, mint-upgrade-info new version 1.0.4, and when I click "Install Updates" the same exact upgrade package reappears, over and over again. So now, I can no longer update anything at all.

I've checked the files in /var/cache/apt/archives/ and I have the following:

mintupdate_4.9.2_all.deb
mintupdate_4.9.3.2_all.deb
mintupdate_4.9.3.3_all.deb
mint-upgrade-info_1.0.3_all.deb

Prior to getting into the stuck-in-a-loop Update Manager, I was seeing VBoxClient errors on startup. I wonder if these two things are related somehow? The last semi-successful update I ran yesterday failed to install all of the selected updates.

I wish I could be of more help. Nevertheless, I'll be watching this thread to see if a solution is found.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Starting at the end: The VBox client popup is annoying, but harmless and not related. See the pinned thread in the sub-section for virtualization.

Your problem looks a little bit different than the one of the OP, because he gets after the update other update packages offered (but doesn't seem to be able to really update them).
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I have the verdict that the cause for the problem is not the update-manager, but apt-get. Strange thing is, that the OP tried to do apt-get update without success and also without a message.

You might try a test with synaptic: Install a package, that gives no further problems and does not need any dependencies installed, meld would be a good example. Question is, if this installation works successful. If not activate in the confirmation dialog of synaptic the option to download only without installing and check afterwards, if the package can be found in the apt-cache (described in a previous post). The example meld has the preposition, that you never installed it before, otherwise it would be in the cache already.

Return to “Software & Applications”