Unable to boot Elyssa from hard drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Unable to boot Elyssa from hard drive

Post by Alpha-Geek »

I've recently upgraded to a new m'board & cpu. Specs are:
Motherboard: Gigsbyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000
Memory: 2) 2 gb, DDR2 1066, total 4 gb
Hard drive: Western Digital 20 gb ide
Optical drive: Lite-on Model LH-20A1L, SATA DVD/CD recorder
Video: ATI Radeon HD3850, PCI-e, 512 mb ram

Problem is, I can boot & run the live CD. (Posting from it now) If I install to the hard drive, it hangs at the load screen. (Mint progress bar going from one end to the other, back and forth. Does this indefinitely.) I've checked the MD5, burned the disk from new iso on 2 different computers & burned at speeds as low as 4x with 3 different burning programs. On this same computer,I can install Ubuntu Hardy, both 32 bit & 64 bit, as well as GOS, which is built from Ubuntu. All burned on same hardware, all work fine. I'm guessing this is something unique to Linux Mint. I've also tried using the all_generic_ide & ide=nodma boot options with no success. I REALLY want to continue to use Mint, but I'm sure where to go from here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Update: still not solved, but if I let it try to boot long enough, it goes to BusyBox followed by (initramfs) :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Unable to boot Elyssa from hard drive

Post by Alpha-Geek »

*BUMP*
Anyone?
supulton

Post by supulton »

Same problem here.
Unknown

Post by Unknown »

I have this same issue as well with the x64 copy...its very confusing and I've yet to find a solution
hoe

Post by hoe »

I had the same thing happen to me! I think it was the UUID thing in the menu.lst . I had to boot with the live CD and do a 'sudo blkid' in the consule to get the UUID for the partition and copy and paste it in the /boot/grub/menu.lst in place of root=/dev/hdax .

Wayne

Return to “Installation & Boot”