Incd formatted discs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Incd formatted discs

Post by gael33 »

I have recently found some old Incd formatted disc's that I think may contain some important data. I have been using Linux Mint for a while now, but I've never seem a Linux program that is capable of opening, reading or writing Incd formatted disc's. Is there a Linux program out there that I don't know about that can handle Incd formatted disc's? If there is, please let me know.

Thanks,

gael.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath
eanfrid

Re: Incd formatted discs

Post by eanfrid »

IIRC InCD made use of packet-writing. Maybe you only need to install the package "udftools" in order to enable packet reading/writing on the drive and then be able to reveal the contents. But if any non-standard packet-writing was used by InCD, it is very unlikely to work either.
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gael33 »

eanfrid wrote:IIRC InCD made use of packet-writing. Maybe you only need to install the package "udftools" in order to enable packet reading/writing on the drive and then be able to reveal the contents. But if any non-standard packet-writing was used by InCD, it is very unlikely to work either.
Thanks for the reply. Someone wrote to me off list and told me that the original Nero inCD program will work through Wine. I'll give it a try and let you know the results.

gael.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath
RonC

Post by RonC »

gael33 wrote:
eanfrid wrote:... Someone wrote to me off list and told me that the original Nero inCD program will work through Wine. I'll give it a try and let you know the results. ...
If you're still subscribed to this thread, could you give us a follow-up, on the above quote?

:?: Did the contents of the PM you received give details on how this was accomplished? And, was this with the final version of InCD, that works with Vista and Windows 7?

I am in the same situation and would like to know how this turned out.

:) It would then be a good reference for other Mint users, coming across this thread in a search.
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

(Solved) Re: Incd formatted discs

Post by gael33 »

RonC wrote:
gael33 wrote:
eanfrid wrote:... Someone wrote to me off list and told me that the original Nero inCD program will work through Wine. I'll give it a try and let you know the results. ...
If you're still subscribed to this thread, could you give us a follow-up, on the above quote?

:?: Did the contents of the PM you received give details on how this was accomplished? And, was this with the final version of InCD, that works with Vista and Windows 7?

I am in the same situation and would like to know how this turned out.

:) It would then be a good reference for other Mint users, coming across this thread in a search.
Sorry I never got back to you ... life got in the way :)
I only had the Windows XP Pro version of InCD and it didn't work through WINE on Linux (or I personally couldn't get it to work) :(
I have never used Vista or Windows 7 so I wouldn't be knowing the answer to your question.
I apologize for not being very helpful in being more specific as to whether InCD would work with Linux using WINE.
Unfortunately, the programs I had on the InCD disc's, most were obsolete and old and so I parted company with them, confining them to the trash can.

gael
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath
RonC

Post by RonC »

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.

Yes, It would be a 'long shot' if that type of a utility could function through Wine. InCD is in the Wine compatibility database ... but, with the result listed as 'Garbage' ... so it was quite a surprise that someone wrote to you, saying they found a way of making it work!

I may have to keep InCD on a Windows 7 partition, in that case.

Ron
DrM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DrM »

How do you format a blank rewritable disc with the UDF filesystem in Linux Mint, in stead of using Nero's InCD under Windows?
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gael33 »

DrM wrote:How do you format a blank rewritable disc with the UDF filesystem in Linux Mint, in stead of using Nero's InCD under Windows?
I think you can do it with Nero 4 for Linux.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath

Return to “Software & Applications”