Can't write files to SD Card -- Mint claims it's read only

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stephenleotti

Can't write files to SD Card -- Mint claims it's read only

Post by stephenleotti »

Today I bought a 16gb SD card for storing larger files since my hard drive is always running out of space and I'm not a fan of USBs since they stick out too much. When connecting it I am told the card is read only. Same on Ubuntu. If I plug it into windows, it works fine. I've tried a lot but to no avail. Please send HELP!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Can't write files to SD Card -- Mint claims it's read on

Post by WharfRat »

stephenleotti wrote:Today I bought a 16gb SD card for storing larger files since my hard drive is always running out of space and I'm not a fan of USBs since they stick out too much. When connecting it I am told the card is read only. Same on Ubuntu. If I plug it into windows, it works fine. I've tried a lot but to no avail. Please send HELP!!
With the sd card inserted paste back the output of

Code: Select all

mount
stephenleotti

Post by stephenleotti »

/dev/sda7 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
none on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,none,name=systemd)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/stephen/23A4-27F7 type vfat (ro,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks2)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=stephen)
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Yes, it is mounting read only so what you will have to do is first umount it

sudo umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
then remount it with

sudo mount -t vfat -o rw,dmask=002,fmask=111,uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt 
That should do it. Your access to it will be at the folder /mnt
Chimera

Post by Chimera »

I use latest Mint 17.1.
Same problems here, can write to diverent SD cards.

Isn't there a simple solution, that every SD card can be writeable?
Why are there no write problems with USB sticks?

And what's the most easiest way to write to a SD card on Linux with write problems?
cogier
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cogier »

This is probably because you are using the Nemo File Manager. It is a known bug but there seems to be little motivation to sort it out.

Try installing Nautilus or Dolphin (or any other File Manager, there are loads in the Software Center) and trying again.
MarkTheMorose
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MarkTheMorose »

stephenleotti wrote:... I'm not a fan of USBs since they stick out too much.
Not a technical answer, but you can buy very short USB sticks, I've one here bought recently that's only 25mm long, including the USB plug. It sticks out only 12mm or so when plugged in.

Kingston DataTraveler Micro, mine is 8GB, they also have 16, 32, and 64GB versions.
pfd27

Post by pfd27 »

Has there ever been a fix for this? Im having the same issue in mate with caja
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I use MATE and caja and don't have that problem. I just checked it now with SD card from my camera. I was able to view all files and to create 2 empty files on the SD card and then to delete them. Took opportunity to delete an unwanted old folder on it too. Maybe it has something to do with the particular SD card instead? Or how it's formatted by the device using it?

I used to have that problem with windows and found if I unplugged and replugged the SD card it then would allow access as normal. Check for a slider on side of the SD card that locks it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Chimera

Post by Chimera »

Thx, tried all options and different sd cards..
Nothing works.
On windows no problems.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Chimera wrote:Thx, tried all options and different sd cards..
Nothing works.
On windows no problems.
reformat it. See if the camera then recognizes it. If not, then the problem is created by formatting it in the camera instead of on computer.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Beginner Questions”