Install Muffin In Mate [Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guimaster

Install Muffin In Mate [Solved]

Post by guimaster »

Greetings,

I love everything about Mate except that Marco will not allow me to tile 4 windows at a time. I found a tutorial on how to install KWin, but I don't think I want something that heavy. I don't need a desktop cube. I also hear that Compiz is on the way out, so I don't want to use it.

Is there an easy way to install Muffin in Mate? Will it work? I tried to install it in Ubuntu Mate but it gives an error. The error said something like "org.cinnamon" is missing. I don't want to have to install a ton of packages, but I suspect I need some more.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Install Muffin In Mate

Post by cwsnyder »

Muffin is listed as one of the bases for Cinnamon, not Mate. You would probably be better off installing a minimal system, then muffin on top, then installing your applications afterwards, to ensure all of the dependencies are satisfied.

Don't expect all Mate applications to work with Muffin, likewise, don't expect all Cinnamon applications to work with Muffin unless you essentially load all of Cinnamon.

Could I recommend the x-tile application?
guimaster

Re: Install Muffin In Mate

Post by guimaster »

Wow, that's fantastic! It's a much simpler solution.

I tried looking for something like this, but somehow I missed it.

I appreciate your help!
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Install Muffin In Mate [Solved]

Post by cmost »

You could also try the Compton window manager. It's available by default in Mint 17.3 and should do what you want according to what I've read, while still being lightweight.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100

Return to “MATE”