Mint + SSD + Old laptop, like new again

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NSA_Dontspyoneme

Mint + SSD + Old laptop, like new again

Post by NSA_Dontspyoneme »

So happy with Mint and an SSD in my very old core-2 laptop with 2 gigs mem. It runs great as long as I do not try to do too much. I cannot run 2 VM's at a time but one is fine.

Recently I had to load win10 on one of my VM's and man is it horrible. I had to turn off no less then 30 items to keep just a bit of privacy. I had to weed through all kinds of cracks and knooks to find out all the ways that winblowz tracks and spies. Then I went online and I think it got infected because it never stops grinding away. Something like 34-50% of cpu is being eaten up by winblowz while idle. I really hate windows.......

So happy with Linux. I just wish some things were not so difficult with Linux. But its a fair trade for not having to use winblowz.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint + SSD + Old laptop, like new again

Post by Dngrsone »

It's likely that Windows is downloading a couple hundred incremental updates... it takes hours for a new installation to be fully up-to-date.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

I've personally experienced the euphoria of Mint + Old Laptop, but never Mint + SSD + Old Laptop. Sounds like a plan. :lol:
tarala

Post by tarala »

I also just boosted my old Acer laptop with a SSD. As I did not want to fork out too much, I found the option of using a HDD caddy for the DVD drive slot a good option as I could buy a much cheaper SSD and just rely on the HDD for storage. It does, of course, mean that I do not have a DVD drive in the machine now, but I barely used it anyway.
NSA_Dontspyoneme

Post by NSA_Dontspyoneme »

They make usb plugin dvd drives that are cheap now.

Return to “Other topics”