change IP address in linux mint?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintcandy

change IP address in linux mint?

Post by mintcandy »

any way to change IP from command line or some app in linux mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: change IP address in linux mint?

Post by cwsnyder »

Are you talking about the Internet Protocol Address, or the IP protocol stack? Are you assuming there is a simple, one address IP Address associated with your machine? Or are you talking about the MAC address which is defined by your network interface card (a.k.a NIC)? Are you talking about the one provided to you by your Internet Provider, your local intranet DHCP, or the Internet Provider itself?

Define your term and how it is used, otherwise your question is too broad to be easily answered.
mintcandy

Post by mintcandy »

cwsnyder wrote:Are you talking about the Internet Protocol Address, or the IP protocol stack? Are you assuming there is a simple, one address IP Address associated with your machine? Or are you talking about the MAC address which is defined by your network interface card (a.k.a NIC)? Are you talking about the one provided to you by your Internet Provider, your local intranet DHCP, or the Internet Provider itself?

Define your term and how it is used, otherwise your question is too broad to be easily answered.
Thanks for your reply,

I want to change the IP address that is visible for webpages I visit with my browser. I am unfortunately not sure about the distinction you are making however I do know the difference between MAC and IP address. I have already tried manipulating my MAC address using macchanger as I read somewhere this might also change my IP address. However I had no luck changing it with this method.

I am on a home network with a router if that is of any help
DanielR
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DanielR »

The IP address with which you appear on the internet is the IP address given to your internet connection by your ISP (Internet Service Provider). It has nothing to do with the IP address given to your local PC by your router. Depending on the type of internet access, your ISP has either given you a variable/dynamic IP address (usually changes every 24 hours or at each login to your internet connection) or a fixed IP address. Please check your contract with your ISP for details.

Please explain why you want to have a different IP address for the internet.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Also, if you are seeking to provide more privacy, look into something like the Onion Router (a.k.a. TOR) browser. https://www.torproject.org/
mintcandy

Post by mintcandy »

cwsnyder wrote:Also, if you are seeking to provide more privacy, look into something like the Onion Router (a.k.a. TOR) browser. https://www.torproject.org/
I do have the tor browser but it wont access a lot of non onion web sites, such as google directly for example
DanielR wrote:The IP address with which you appear on the internet is the IP address given to your internet connection by your ISP (Internet Service Provider). It has nothing to do with the IP address given to your local PC by your router. Depending on the type of internet access, your ISP has either given you a variable/dynamic IP address (usually changes every 24 hours or at each login to your internet connection) or a fixed IP address. Please check your contract with your ISP for details.

Please explain why you want to have a different IP address for the internet.
I want a different IP address because my current is not working with certain websites
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You get from your ISP provider a more or less random IP address out of a pool of addresses. It is possible, that the very IP address you have now my be blocked, because of something the previous owner did something bad; in this case changing the IP address might help. But if the complete pool of addresses gets blocked, you will not solve anything by changing the address.

In most cases the random IP address gets automatically changed once in 24 hours. If you do not want to wait for this time, disconnect the router for a few minutes from the Internet, after the new connection it will get a new IP address. Probably the software interface of your router has also an option to make a new connection.
mintcandy

Post by mintcandy »

Cosmo. wrote: In most cases the random IP address gets automatically changed once in 24 hours. If you do not want to wait for this time, disconnect the router for a few minutes from the Internet, after the new connection it will get a new IP address. Probably the software interface of your router has also an option to make a new connection.
tried this, didnt work. means my ISP dont change my IP even when I unplug the router for some minutes?
DanielR
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DanielR »

mintcandy wrote: tried this, didnt work. means my ISP dont change my IP even when I unplug the router for some minutes?
With your current internet connection please visit http://www.showmemyip.com/ and write down the IP address it displays. Then disconnect your router from the WAN (telephone line, cable, etc.) and wait a few minutes. Or better, just power down the router, wait a bit and power it up again. Afterwards visit the same web site from above again and check if you now have a different IP address.
mintcandy

Post by mintcandy »

DanielR wrote:
mintcandy wrote: tried this, didnt work. means my ISP dont change my IP even when I unplug the router for some minutes?
With your current internet connection please visit http://www.showmemyip.com/ and write down the IP address it displays. Then disconnect your router from the WAN (telephone line, cable, etc.) and wait a few minutes. Or better, just power down the router, wait a bit and power it up again. Afterwards visit the same web site from above again and check if you now have a different IP address.
it does not seem to change
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

mintcandy wrote:means my ISP dont change my IP even when I unplug the router for some minutes?
I don't know your ISP and even if I would I wouldn't know, how he handles this. But your ISP should be able to give you the answer, probably also what is wrong with your current IP.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Also some Internet addresses may be blocked by your ISP[/b], for example in China, sites condemned by the government. In another example, if your IP address indicates you are not from in country USA, you are blocked from some sports sites.

Return to “Networking”