oddity with password change [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
fotonix
Level 2
Level 2

oddity with password change [SOLVED]

Post by fotonix »

I'm 'testing' Betsy on my 'spare' laptop. Which meant wipe the W7 and do a full install :)

Anyway, when I set up the machine, I created one user who is Admin as well, with a password.
I later changed this password using the Users & Groups GUI under Menu -> Administration.

I can login fine, and apply updates using the new password. Synaptic (full version, not icon category version) and sudo work fine. But the icon category version of Synaptic (from the menu favourites panel) does not recognize the new password at all - but was happy to accept the old one! Mystery...

Machine is an MSI i5 (64 bit) running LMDE Cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: oddity with password change

Post by jimallyn »

When you create one user and set the password, that is the admin password. If you change your password, the admin password stays the same as what you set it during the install.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
fotonix
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fotonix »

Let me try to describe the problem another way. I changed my only "admin" level user account's password on both machines.

Regular edition Mint, Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca":
1. login - new password
2. Update Manager - new password
3. Synaptic Package Manager - new password
4. Software Manager - new password

Debian edition Mint, Cinnamon 17.1 "Betsy":
1. login - new password
2. Update Manager - new password
3. Synaptic Package Manager - new password
4. Software Manager - OLD password <=== refuses the new password!
LMDE2User

Post by LMDE2User »

In LMDE2 (MATE 32bit) I had the same problem with the software manager. I found that this worked when typed into a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config libgksu-gconf-defaults
Then, choose the gconf-defaults.libgksu-sudo option by entering the right number (normally it is option 2)

Code: Select all

sudo update-gconf-defaults
problem solved.

I found this many moons ago when I had the same problem on LMDE1 at this source: http://www.howtoeverything.net/de/linux ... an-edition
fotonix
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fotonix »

Thanks! I knew it was some simple setting in some place someone had already found. :D
blueinca99

Re: oddity with password change [SOLVED]

Post by blueinca99 »

But how do you get into a terminal window when you can't get past the first login screen?
Having setup LMDE2 Betsy, the username/password is being rejected. Is there anyway I can change the login prices to 'automatic login' without having to reinstall the whole OS, manual partitioning etc.
This is not a good start to life with LMDE2!
Many thanks for any helpful replies
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Try logging in as root with the old password.
blueinca99

Post by blueinca99 »

I tried the above provided by LMDE2 User, but it still didn't work~ still says user name/password is incorrect

Return to “LMDE Archive”