17.1 users not going to upgrade?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Habitual

17.1 users not going to upgrade?

Post by Habitual »

Anyone else not planning on upgrading from 17.1 to 17.3?

Just curious.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: 17.1 users not going to upgrade?

Post by richyrich »

Still running 17.0 Qiana Xfce on one of my machines. No plans on ever upgrading this one until 2019. :-)
lexon

Post by lexon »

I am running 17.0 on one laptop.
16.0 on another.

Might try Debian. A local PC store does Linux also and can help me.
Couple issues with Mint I cannot solve.

No plans to upgrade.

L
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

lexon wrote:16.0 on another.
You should definitely upgrade that one. Mint 16 is dead as mutton and therefore insecure.

As for myself: upgrading within the 17-series is a piece of cake with little risks, because they share the same codebase (Ubuntu 14.04). So: yes, I've upgraded all my machines. No problems whatsoever. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

lexon wrote: 16.0 on another.

No plans to upgrade.
You do know that mint 16 is unsupported and hasn't received security updates for quite some time now, right?
(Meaning that it's more or less insecure if connected to the Internet.)

EDIT: Pjotr--looks like you beat me to it. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara »

Have 17.1 MATE on one system. It works. If it works, I don't bother.

On another system I had 17.3 MATE. Went back to Mint 13 on this particular system because of intermittent (sometimes endless) error messages during boot.

Hans
All my computers are in Mint condition.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

My desktop has 17.1 Mate, and laptop is 17.1 XFCE. Don't really have plans either way. I'm content with things like they are since it's working just fine, but may go ahead and up to 17.3 at some point.
RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RubyStone »

I use 17.2. Its the most stable and fastest.
I noticed some rendering issues/speed issues with 17.3 and teh whole revision seems slow.
Menu tree scrolls slowly and when I re-size the settings window it is quite slow compared to 17.2. Don't know why.

I tried the current version of Ubuntu Mate and it screamed. I just can't stand the lack of refinement in other areas. Example, the Fn+Screen hot keys JUST WORK with Mint but forget it with Ubuntu. Go figure.

Still, I have basically made Linux Mint my main OS with only occasional dual-boot to the W-OS to use some of the paid software I have, etc.
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Have Xfce 17.1 on a couple of machines, Xfce 17.2 on one or two others. Not in any particular hurry to upgrade anything, but I'm sure I'll at least test 17.3 at some point down the line. If no major differences that I care about in it, I'll probably just keep machines as they are and possibly change when 18 comes out.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I skipped 17.1. I have two machines I installed 17.0 on, but didn't upgrade them until 17.2 came out. Will probably upgrade both to 17.3 sooner or later.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Still on 17.0. As a KDE owner there is no real reason for an upgrade and I always install from scratch so it would be a pain to set everything back the way I want it.

With KDE's focus 100% on Plasma 5 there was nothing in 17.x to warrant an update. Libreoffice I install via the online debs and that's it for me. The SW in the repositories is fine for me in the main and 0.9.6 is a solid workhorse.

I wait impatiently for Mint KDE 18 and access to later versions of Kdenlive. I will confess that the tablet interface style of Plasma is not winning my heart like 4 did/has but dolpin is still there, keyboard shortcuts and the lovely QT apps.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it.", at least that's what I see why. Especially that all 17x releases are LTS releases.

Our Guidelines for Upgrading says it, too:
"As a general rule... unless you need to, or unless you really want to, there's no reason for you to upgrade."

Also, Mint doesn't automatically shove her upgrades to any user's throat. Unlike Windows 10.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I do not think I will.
I keep one laptop on 16 Cinnamon and it runs better than 17.0. I have found 17.0 runs a little slower than 16.

From what I have seen over the years, Linux is slowly bogging down PC's, probably because of more code. Not unlike Windows in some ways. Firefox is slowly becoming the pits.
Up to about 9 or 12, Mint was really nice but those days are gone.

L
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

lexon wrote: I keep one laptop on 16 Cinnamon...
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1113200 ;)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Hey, we LMDE Betsy users count too, right?!? I'm lovin' the Debian Stable base.
I'm not planning on "upgrading" to 17.x anytime soon. :)
- Albert Einstein
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Actually, I was very nearly at the point of upgrading or jumping distro - which would have been a pain as I have everything set up nicely under 17.0 and it would take an age to set everything back.

I needed to reverse the direction of clip under kdenlive but, whenever I rendered the clip... it jumped and stuttered! Indeed, clips in which speed had been changed were also stuttering. I installed every video editor under the sun trying to reverse the clip, including openshot which provides a play backwards feature... and got the same result.

I figured I would have to at least upgrade to 0.9.8 which meant jumping to 17.x or going the whole hog to an RPM distro with Plasma 5 when the light went on.

ffmpeg.

I loaded up a PPA, upgraded ffmpeg, re-rendered in kdenlive and bingo!

And that's te nice thing about Mint. I am happy with repo software mos of the time and don't need state of the art but when I need a little update here and there... I can get it. I would have been stuffed if I were on LMDE (I think.) So.... 17.0 proves its worth and keeps me with safe, stable Kdenlive 0.9.6. Impatient for Mint 18 though. I could really do with looking at the latest renderings of Kdenlive.
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
RonC

Post by RonC »

Jedinovice wrote:I loaded up a PPA, upgraded ffmpeg, re-rendered in kdenlive and bingo!
I'm also running 17.0 and have two questions:
Please share the name of the PPA that worked for you. There are, or were, three of them, and right now I'm wondering which I can install without causing problems!
Second question: you said you 'upgraded' ffmpeg in your copy of Mint 17.0? My installation of the same Mint version never had ffmpeg -- instead it came with a 'fork' of it called libav.

:?: I'm trying to make sure that whichever PPA you found for ffmpeg can be installed 'on top of' libav, without conflicts. I read somewhere else that the two packages have 'overlapping' file names? But then, as I mentioned, there are three PPAs, presumably with three different packages ... :?
poorguy

Post by poorguy »

I'm perfectly happy with LM 17.1 however I have upgraded 2 of my computers from 17.1 to 17.3 cinnamon and mate.
Both upgrades went flawlessly and the cinnamon upgrade to 17.3 not a problem anywhere.
The mate upgrade to 17.3 I noticed several icons in the control panel and start menu had doubled.
Not a real problem as all icons work as suppose to and the remedy seems like a PIB so I am leaving it the way it is.
I really see no difference from 17.1 to 17.3 but did them just to see what exactly had changed.
All works well on both so really no complaints.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

RonC wrote:
Jedinovice wrote:I loaded up a PPA, upgraded ffmpeg, re-rendered in kdenlive and bingo!
I'm also running 17.0 and have two questions:
Please share the name of the PPA that worked for you. There are, or were, three of them, and right now I'm wondering which I can install without causing problems!
Second question: you said you 'upgraded' ffmpeg in your copy of Mint 17.0? My installation of the same Mint version never had ffmpeg -- instead it came with a 'fork' of it called libav.

:?: I'm trying to make sure that whichever PPA you found for ffmpeg can be installed 'on top of' libav, without conflicts. I read somewhere else that the two packages have 'overlapping' file names? But then, as I mentioned, there are three PPAs, presumably with three different packages ... :?
Well, in the end I had to upgrade both ffmpeg and kdelive to 0.9.8 - which was interesting because the latest/last version for QT4 was/is kdenlive 0.9.10 which is bugged to hell.

The repositories I used are here:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kirillshkrogal ... ext/ubuntu trusty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kirillshkrogal ... ext/ubuntu trusty main

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/sunab/kdenlive ... old/ubuntu trusty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/sunab/kdenlive ... old/ubuntu trusty main

I don't know about libav and ffmpeg. Can anyone else advise?
rcentros
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcentros »

I'm sticking with 17.1 Mate on my desktop (Optiplex 755) and older laptop (Latitude D400). It just seems a little "lighter" than 17.3. But I'll be upgrading to the 64 bit version of 17.1 on the desktop instead of the 32 bit version (mainly so I can use a supported version of Google Chrome 64 bit for playing Vudu and Netflix on the Chromecast). The newer laptop (Latitude E6400) is already on 17.3 Mate 64 bit, so I see no reason to do anything with it. It's kind of superfluous anyhow. I bought it for next to nothing on Craigslist because I thought the D400 wouldn't be supported past April next year. (I had it on v13, still do on its extra hard drive, and didn't realize I could force PAE to go to 17.x). I tried 17.3 on the D400, it worked fine -- I also tried Ubuntu Mate 16.04 beta 2 (to see if Linux Mint 18 would work) and it seemed to work fine (except I don't like the way Ubuntu Mate seems to "tack on" its theme). I also couldn't fix the Intel "popping" sound issue in Ubuntu -- Linux Mint Mate (13 and 17.x) clears the issue with one a one line change in the intel-audio-powersave configuration file. This may be a problem in LM 18, I don't know yet. Sorry to ramble. But, yes, I'm sticking with Linux Mint Mate 17.1 on the computers I use mostly because I don't see any good reason to change and I like consistency between computers.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”