is the linux desktop environment still going the direction?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Crewp

Re: is the linux desktop environment still going the directi

Post by Crewp »

I disagree mrgoogle, Cinnamon is easy to use, simple yet functional, and nice looking I might add. Mate & Xfce are as easy to use as Windows XP was. But better, because you can tweak them to your exact tastes. IMO Linux DE have lots of choices, and most of all give the end user the freedom to tweak them to meet each users tastes & needs.
Fragezeichen

Post by Fragezeichen »

Well, I could imagine some new users or people interested in Linux being quite overwhelmed considering how many choices and customization options there are regarding Linux desktops..
It might be more beneficial to focus development on the existing desktops instead of forking them over and over or building new ones from scratch...
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Personally, I don't find Cinnamon at all complicated. I find the so called 'simple/easy' OS like Elementary confining and actually harder to use.
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

this is always been the biggest advantage of linux over windows, we have the freedom of choices
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

Fragezeichen wrote:Well, I could imagine some new users or people interested in Linux being quite overwhelmed considering how many choices and customization options there are regarding Linux desktops..
It might be more beneficial to focus development on the existing desktops instead of forking them over and over or building new ones from scratch...
that's true but when it comes down to user-experience, regardless of its customization freedom and endless choices, the question is; how easy it is to customize for noob people ?
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

Fragezeichen wrote:Well, I could imagine some new users or people interested in Linux being quite overwhelmed considering how many choices and customization options there are regarding Linux desktops..
and speaking of development; in case you've heard of chromebooks which is pretty well known for its simplicity, i would say that's just how people want their desktop environment is, for simplicity and easy of use, although the chromebook's UI and UX is still NOT that fluid and more importantly if you carefully check my posts especially the images its obvious that the goal is to bring life into the unity desktop environment to meet these modern day standards of a desktop environment
Last edited by mrgoogle on Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

mrgoogle wrote:that's true but when it comes down to user-experience, regardless of its customization freedom and endless choices, the question is; how easy it is to customize for noob people ?
But what have to do experienced people? Everythig in world is for noobs, kids, dumbs, etc?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

BigEasy wrote:
mrgoogle wrote:that's true but when it comes down to user-experience, regardless of its customization freedom and endless choices, the question is; how easy it is to customize for noob people ?
But what have to do experienced people? Everythig in world is for noobs, kids, dumbs, etc?
at some point i did realize that the thing so called "user-friendly" is a UI/UX or any design that the noob people can understand regardless of the product design or concept or purpose and the people your referring to as "experienced people" is just a very small market and the bigger target market that you should keep on eye on are always these noobs
Last edited by mrgoogle on Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

Crewp wrote:I disagree mrgoogle, Cinnamon is easy to use, simple yet functional, and nice looking I might add. Mate & Xfce are as easy to use as Windows XP was. But better, because you can tweak them to your exact tastes. IMO Linux DE have lots of choices, and most of all give the end user the freedom to tweak them to meet each users tastes & needs.
were in 2016, that standards is so decades ago, people's standards/taste for a user-friendly UI/UX is changing faster than u think
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

mrgoogle wrote:people your referring to as "experienced people" is just a very small market and the bigger target market that you should keep on eye on are always these noobs
So. there is only one acceptable direction of DE: one big button at center of the screen with text: "make all my work perfectly". Color of background may be user defined.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

mrgoogle wrote:were in 2016, that standards is so decades ago, people's standards/taste for a user-friendly UI/UX is changing faster than u think
More people than you seem to think really like Cinnamon's interface just as it is. I'm one of those people. Everyone I've shown it to liked it too; no one said it felt outdated.

Where do you get your information on people's standards and taste?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

BigEasy wrote:
mrgoogle wrote:people your referring to as "experienced people" is just a very small market and the bigger target market that you should keep on eye on are always these noobs
So. there is only one acceptable direction of DE: one big button at center of the screen with text: "make all my work perfectly". Color of background may be user defined.
Looked like a good idea until you had to get 'clever' with the user defined background. This complexity will certainly scare the average user off! :wink:
mrgoogle wrote:were in 2016, that standards is so decades ago, people's standards/taste for a user-friendly UI/UX is changing faster than u think
I think you're wrong. If you're talking about tablet-centric UI, I would agree Mint is 'outdated' - but the team are very clear about their mission - to create the best desktop OS. A 'traditional' desktop like Mint is so much more productive
in this environment than all the other OS' that try to push tablet features onto the desktop.

You may not realise it, but Mint is certainly one of the most popular Linux distros; possibly the single most popular. There's a reason for that, and a big part of it is the UI. It also gets rave review after rave review.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... op-distro/
http://www.zdnet.com/article/2015s-best ... mint-17-2/
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

1st of all guys thank you for bothering for giving of your free time for this debate, it really does means a lot to me
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

BigEasy wrote:
with all due of respect, you can't give a proper reply to this statement withOUT the understanding of what is "targeted marketing vs mass marketing" or "market segmentation"
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

M0em wrote:
More people than you seem to think really like Cinnamon's interface just as it is. I'm one of those people. Everyone I've shown it to liked it too; no one said it felt outdated.

Where do you get your information on people's standards and taste?
on the technology review and news programs
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

MintBean wrote: I think you're wrong. If you're talking about tablet-centric UI, I would agree Mint is 'outdated' - but the team are very clear about their mission - to create the best desktop OS. A 'traditional' desktop like Mint is so much more productive
in this environment than all the other OS' that try to push tablet features onto the desktop.

You may not realise it, but Mint is certainly one of the most popular Linux distros; possibly the single most popular. There's a reason for that, and a big part of it is the UI. It also gets rave review after rave review.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... op-distro/
http://www.zdnet.com/article/2015s-best ... mint-17-2/
if we carefully take a look on how software companies does their "market segmentation" and compare it to linux mint's then the idea of best desktop os is too generalize; it should more specific than that and we have to make our community and target people understand the main purpose and concept of linux-mint in a much specific way; a example of this is samsung's hate feedback from their Big Tablets that they have market, when they failed to make their target consumer and end-user understand the purpose and concept of their product,; look i clearly understand this is a community driven project but without putting-in these things we could learn from these tech-giants, it'll slow down our progress and adaption to the ever-changing market industry and i do realize linux-mint is currently the most liked distro; my point is that we're Not keeping up well with these changes happening in the industry
Last edited by mrgoogle on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

mrgoogle wrote:
M0em wrote: Where do you get your information on people's standards and taste?
on the technology review and news programs
I get mine from people I interact with. I've given workshops on Mint for beginners, and they were all happily surprised by the look and feel of Cinnamon. They said: it looks streamlined and pleasant to use. No one said 'that looks like Windows95'. And that is what we had decades ago.

Anyway, what did you mean when you asked 'is the Linux deskop environment still going the direction?' Which desktop environment, and more importantly, which direction?
Not all desktop environments have the same goal, as I'm sure you're aware, so they should certainly not be going in the same direction. So I have no idea which direction you consider to be THE direction. And I'm interested in your opinion on this.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

mrgoogle wrote:if we carefully take a look on how software companies does their "market segmentation" and compare it to linux mint's then the idea of best desktop os is too generalize
Probably. By I lost a point. What are you talking about: OSs or DEs?
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

BigEasy wrote:
mrgoogle wrote:if we carefully take a look on how software companies does their "market segmentation" and compare it to linux mint's then the idea of best desktop os is too generalize
Probably. By I lost a point. What are you talking about: OSs or DEs?
didn't u know that EVERYONE AND EVERY DISTROS WAN'TS TO BECOME THE BEST AND EVERYONE KNOWS THAT" now what makes linux mint or our DE different from other distros and what is the purpose of the project that separates us from them, that's what we should market but you'll understand what i truly mean if you just research what "market segmentation" is
Last edited by mrgoogle on Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

M0em wrote:
mrgoogle wrote:
M0em wrote:
I get mine from people I interact with. I've given workshops on Mint for beginners, and they were all happily surprised by the look and feel of Cinnamon. They said: it looks streamlined and pleasant to use. No one said 'that looks like Windows95'. And that is what we had decades ago.

Anyway, what did you mean when you asked 'is the Linux deskop environment still going the direction?' Which desktop environment, and more importantly, which direction?
Not all desktop environments have the same goal, as I'm sure you're aware, so they should certainly not be going in the same direction. So I have no idea which direction you consider to be THE direction. And I'm interested in your opinion on this.
the reason why all desktop environment projects do not share the same goal is because of this so-called "market segmentation"

im not professional enough to lecture you about "market segmentation" however the easiest way i can think of, to give you an idea on where the market industry is heading to, is to listen to tech-news programs and articles as much as you can, and remember not all product reviewers are intelligent and legitimate, so try listen to the most intelligent tech reviewers that you know on youtube on both sides who likes and dislikes the product, be sure to understand what they dislike and what they like about the product

Return to “Chat about Linux”