Where would we be without Ubuntu

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lexon

Where would we be without Ubuntu

Post by lexon »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Where would we be without Ubuntu

Post by Bolle1961 »

No Ubuntu...no Mint
yeah, right ......
Mint would probably be based on Debian.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

No Debian... no Ubuntu.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Yawn.
Fragezeichen

Post by Fragezeichen »

Where would we be without Ubuntu?
Where would Ubuntu be without Debian?
Where would Linux be without Torvalds?
Where would the kernel be without C?
Where would life on earth be without water or oxygen?
etc...
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Happily using LMDE, probably.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Joss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joss »

Consider that Linux might not even enjoy high quality font rendering without Ubuntu. Even in recent releases of Fedora, fonts don't render nearly as well as they do in Ubuntu.
I agree. I also agree with the crux of the article. Maybe without Ubuntu there would have been something else (Mint or whatever), but we'll never know.
What we know is that Ubuntu did change the Linux landscape dramatically.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I'd (reluctantly) be using Fedora.
GreyGeek

Post by GreyGeek »

Bolle1961 wrote:
No Ubuntu...no Mint
yeah, right ......
Mint would probably be based on Debian.
And sometime in the future it probably will be, if Shuttlesworth shutters Conical and withdraws his $$$ support.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

I am a late starter when it comes to computers, first learned how to use a PC on Windows 2000 at 43, got my first PC at 45 with XP on it and switched to Ubuntu (Intrepid )that same year, and in another 6 months, to Linux Mint Gloria. Wouldn't even have tried Linux if i hadn't heard of and come across Ubuntu. So yes, although i don't think much of it as an OS and now use LMDE and Debian exclusively, i am inclined to agree with the author. i feel every Linux user owes a debt of gratitude to Ubuntu for popularizing Linux to the extent that even a yokel like me found it the most accessible first step when looking for an alternative; not to forget the community created around it, google any issue and you are most likely to find it discussed and/or solved on the Ubuntu forums first.
Last edited by mzsade on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

The article forces readers to recognize Ubuntu's influence with Linux and the world. And I also find it important to know where Linux Mint came from.

However, Clem chose a distro that he considered could become better, and modified it that vision. Hence, Mint was born.

In theory:
Without Ubuntu, Clem would've chosen another distro to improve upon. And that distro would become the "Mint" of that universe.
Fragezeichen

Post by Fragezeichen »

Well, you can't deny that Ubuntu has had its impact on Linux and has increased its popularity. However, it is also a fact that Canonical have always taken more from Linux and the FOSS community than they've given back. There certainly are a lot of other distributions and companies that have contributed way more to furthering Linux and open source as a whole, yet they're not even remotely mentioned as much as Ubuntu/Canonical. I'd imagine that's because they're more focused on actual development rather than aggressive marketing.
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

Fragezeichen wrote:Where would we be without Ubuntu?
Where would Ubuntu be without Debian?
Where would Linux be without Torvalds?
Where would the kernel be without C?
Where would life on earth be without water or oxygen?
etc...
Along a similar vein...
...Where Would I Be Without IBM?
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
frodopogo

Post by frodopogo »

That aggressive marketing may be worth SOMETHING.

I'm also a former Windows user (XP). One day I got together with a fellow musician to jam. While we were taking a break, he showed me the Ubuntu installation on his desktop computer. And I thought... if a musician who's not much of a computer geek is aware of and liking Ubuntu, maybe it's reaching some kind of maturity as far as user friendliness.... and maybe I ought to check it out.
And I did... but I couldn't handle the color scheme or the control panel across the top. So I never even downloaded it initially.
I remember doing a search for "best Linux version for Windows users", and Distrowatch came up. And Linux Mint was high in the rankings, at the time just behind Ubuntu. So I checked it out, and did a dual boot install with Linux Mint Elyssa and XP.

Somewhere I'd also heard of Knoppix on live CDs as a diagnostic tool, and a way of have a virus-proof way of accessing the internet. And I downloaded that, and used that. But I can't remember if that was before or after the encounter with the Ubuntu user. I think it was before. But it was way too cluttered (How many editors do you really NEED?) and confusing... obviously something a computer geek could be comfortable with, not so much a musician. BUT it WAS usable.... and it definitely could detect hardware! So I was impressed with the technology, but not enough to use it constantly.

Anyway, I get the impression that in the early days of Mint, it wasn't THAT big a deal to Mintify Ubuntu. After Unity, it seems like it got a lot harder.
But I think that back in the early days, Ubuntu was pointed in the right direction... right enough to inspire Clem to take it even further.
poorguy

Post by poorguy »

When i first considered to use Linux it was ubuntu.
Most apps and support is what i found and learned from and became a Linux user.

Test drove several different ubuntu based Linux distros until i discovered LM 17.x and other Linux distros which satisfy my computer needs.

Still using ubuntu and LM 17.x and one other distro.
Enjoy them all and have learned so much.

I believe the open source world that Linux gives is the best choice to use for my computer use.

Just my own opinion which only matters to me.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

poorguy wrote: I believe the open source world that Linux gives is the best choice to use for my computer use.
+1. :)

I don't use or like Ubuntu, and probably never will (unless Unbutu MATE counts--that's a great distro!) but I have nothing personally against them. It just doesn't scratch my itch like Mint, Debian, Manjaro, Arch, Kali... Okay, you get the idea. :lol:
But I do value the choice that it gives the Linux community at large. I'd rather use Ubuntu than Windows anyday, and I think Ubuntu has been a starting point for many *nixers.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara »

Whatever you think of Ubuntu, apparently Canonical does something right:

"AMERICA'S SECOND biggest telecoms company has announced that it is switching to Ubuntu for its infrastructure.

AT&T, which has been around in its current form since 2005, has selected Canonical, the company behind the Ubuntu Linux operating system, "to be part of an effort to drive innovation in the network and cloud", beating rivals such as Microsoft Azure and IBM to the punch."

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... t-contract

Back to the original question "Where would we be?":
glazen-bol.jpg
Hans
All my computers are in Mint condition.

Return to “Chat about Linux”