Pen drive problem in mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anthony2010

Pen drive problem in mint

Post by anthony2010 »

Hi.

I did the stupedest thing and pulled out a pen drive without dismounting it. I know, I know :)

Any way I can no longer open a file thats massively important to my degree. It was saved as a .doc, then it was opened in mint using open office, I read it, made no alterations to it, and closed office then pulled out the drive.

The question is, Can I get this file back?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Pen drive problem in mint

Post by Husse »

No problems I hope
Install testdisk from Synaptic
The program photorec is included and that's an application that can salvage most anything, I've actually used it for mp3 files after the same mistake
When you have salvaged your important file(s) you can use testdisk to repair the file system - I can't guarantee success there but if you read carefully and do the right thing there's a good chance
anthony2010

Re: Pen drive problem in mint

Post by anthony2010 »

Thanks guys.

The folly of my ways has been noted :) Test disk it is and loads of backup in future.

Thanks again.

Anthony.

Return to “Beginner Questions”