which window manager am i using?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msuggs

Re: which window manager am i using?

Post by msuggs »

Gnome does come with Metacity by default although if your graphics card will support it Mint will turn on Compiz for extra effects instead. You can check this by right clicking on the desktop and choosing 'Change Desktop Background'

Click on the Visual Effects tab.

None = Metacity
Normal, Extra and Custom = Compiz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Theleo wrote:But how would i go around changing that?
That would depend on what you want to change it to. Is it just window managers or File managers as well you're after. Which ones?
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

You can install many window managers/desktop environments with the package manager. Aside from the default ones in gnome there is xfce, icewm, kde and fluxbox to name a few. Once installed they automatically add themselves to the GDM login manager and you can choose them by clicking on the sessions button before logging in.

Return to “Beginner Questions”