Linux Mint 18 Wayland

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
siemien

Linux Mint 18 Wayland

Post by siemien »

Hi Guys, I have a question, does Mint 18 will have a wayland on board? As default like FEDORA 24? :>
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Penn

Re: Linux Mint 18 Wayland

Post by Penn »

In the blog post about 18 (Sarah) someone asked about Wayland and Clem said, "No". Just check post #87 in comments http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2975
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 18 will have Wayland (and Mir) included in the repos but it will use X. AFAIK Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce as of yet don't have usable Wayland support anyway. KDE and GNOME are getting there. Mind that "Wayland by default in Fedora 24" is likely said in context of the work ongoing for GNOME 3.20 that Fedora 24 will use (5 months from now?). Linux Mint 18 will have GNOME 3.18.
siemien

Post by siemien »

Hmmm so maybe the Linux Mint 18 KDE will support wayland as default? That was be a good news, because KDE is my favorite desktop. :>
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

I'm trusting that the non-Wacom graphics drivers can be integrated into any Wayland changes as brilliantly as they are now. I'd tried another flavour of Mint briefly recently, just to see if I could speed up Krita further, and hadn't been able to get pressure sensitivity, plus absolutely love Cinnamon anyway.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Wayland sounds interesting but it's been my experience that with major changes like that you do NOT want to be the first on the block to get it if you want something that is not a bug fest. That's why I only use LTS releases unless a hardware support issue deems otherwise.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux”