Which Mint version is ideal for an older machine?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
atheistsunited

Which Mint version is ideal for an older machine?

Post by atheistsunited »

Hello all,

I have an old ( 2002) Asus machine (1.7ghz- 2gb memory) with windows xp installed. I use it once in a while and when we have guests( family/close friends), we let them use it. I am thinking of installing mint on it and keep windows XP, of-course. Could someone tell me which mint version would be ideal for this machine?

Also, please let me know the commands for the grub file so that I can set windows XP as a default OS when the system boots.

This machine has no WiFi, so for internet, we use the ethernet cable . Could someone explain how to set up internet manually while/after isntalling mint? - I am familiar with the windows set ups, but new to Linux.

Many thanks in advance,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Which Mint version is ideal for an older machine?

Post by WharfRat »

Either the Mate or XFCE desktop versions. I use and like the Mate version, It will make the transition easier.

For networking the connection should happen automatically for the ethernet cable connection.

For the default OS, post back here once you get Mint up and running.

Good luck :wink:
atheistsunited

Post by atheistsunited »

Thank you WharfRat, just to make sure I got you right, is this one you mentioned?
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=206
pls let me know,
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

That's the one. Now are you sure you have a dual core processor :?:

If not then you will have to install the 32 bit version.
atheistsunited

Post by atheistsunited »

Yes, it has dual core processor
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

atheistsunited wrote:Yes, it has dual core processor
Then the MATE (64-bit) version is the one you want :wink:
supertuxkart
Level 4
Level 4

Post by supertuxkart »

I beg your pardon, which processor is it ?

I believe in 2002 dualcores were not in production.
atheistsunited

Post by atheistsunited »

it is Asus F3JC Intel core duo T2250 1.74ghz. I guess I wrote the year wrong, i think this model was released in 2006 :)
supertuxkart
Level 4
Level 4

Post by supertuxkart »

The processor has a benchmark of 770, it's enough for Linux Mint Mate from version 17 on.
It works well, for normal purposes, on Atom 1.6 Ghz single core, dual threads with benchmark of about 500.

Before, you must try it in live, to see if in the kernel there are all drivers for your own hardware.
atheistsunited

Post by atheistsunited »

Thank you supertuxkart
atheistsunited

Post by atheistsunited »

hello there, I am getting an error " this kernel requires an X86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. unable to boot"
Does it mean I should opt for 32 bit Mint? I have windows XP 64 already running on this machine and will be installing mint along with XP.
Thanks very much
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

atheistsunited wrote:hello there, I am getting an error " this kernel requires an X86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. unable to boot"
Does it mean I should opt for 32 bit Mint? I have windows XP 64 already running on this machine and will be installing mint along with XP.
Thanks very much
I was suspect of the 64bit capability.

The message " this kernel requires an X86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. unable to boot" means you have a 32bit processor so the 32 bit Mint is the way to go..
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

Hidden out in the open it was...
http://ark.intel.com/products/27232/Int ... 33-MHz-FSB
Instruction Set : 32-bit
Perhaps XP downgraded itself to match the machine?

Warning Warning Warning : Ubuntu gparted included in Mint 17 has been found "incompetent" when it comes to resizing Microsoft file systems, both FAT32 and NTFS can (will) be permanently damaged. Please don't skip the back-up-your-unique-data-to-a-removable-drive step.
atheistsunited

Post by atheistsunited »

Mute Ant wrote: Warning Warning Warning : Ubuntu gparted included in Mint 17 has been found "incompetent" when it comes to resizing Microsoft file systems, both FAT32 and NTFS can (will) be permanently damaged. Please don't skip the back-up-your-unique-data-to-a-removable-drive step.
Thank you for this warning!
atheistsunited

Post by atheistsunited »

On a lighter note, I am quite surprised that a 32 bit machine let me run 64bit windows OS for so many years without any problems! I don't use it so often but it never gave any problem. Actually with my other systems I have always faced hardware /software issues.
supertuxkart
Level 4
Level 4

Post by supertuxkart »

A 64bit machine can run 32bit O.S.
A 32bit machine cannot run 64bit system.

You have to be little bit skilled with linux to correct some small problems.

It's better to backup all important data everytime you use a partition program, whatever the program or O.S. is.
In Windows you must start with scandisk, then defrag the system, backup your data ( better an image for example with True Image ) and resizing with a Windows partition program. From Vista on, there's an integrated tool for. That is for 32bit system with legacy MBR bios.

Beside, i used the Mint Mate 17 gparted to resize partition in Windows XP and Windows 7, nothing wrong happened.
But it is possible sometime, you cannot enter anymore the hidden OEM recovery partition or other troubles.
atheistsunited

Post by atheistsunited »

"A 32bit machine cannot run 64bit system" Supertuxkart, does it mean that I have a 64bit machine? then why this kernel requires an X86-64 CPU error message while installing Mint?

By the way, while installing Mint on my HP laptop ( 64bit) last week showed memory error and when I did a check on bios, it showed hard rive failure. Memory was fine and ended up replacing the hardrive.
LinuxJim

Post by LinuxJim »

atheistsunited wrote:On a lighter note, I am quite surprised that a 32 bit machine let me run 64bit windows OS for so many years without any problems!
You didn't run 64-bit Windows. You ran 32-bit Windows. The Intel Core Duo processor is not capable of running 64-bit *anything*. It was not until a year after your laptop was made that the first 64-bit Intel processor came out - the Core *2* Duo.

So, you can only use 32-bit (Windows *or* Linux).
supertuxkart
Level 4
Level 4

Post by supertuxkart »

No, it's viceversa.

32 bit machine is not able to manage 64bit lenght instruction set, for physical impossibility.

Return to “Beginner Questions”