Graphics ok in "gnome failsafe" mode, but not in standard OK

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kloispetie

Graphics ok in "gnome failsafe" mode, but not in standard OK

Post by kloispetie »

Hello!

I'm a total newbie with difficulties with my Ati Radio graphics card.
I installed the EnvyNG software tool, and with that, the ati drivers. afterwards, I followed these steps: http://sudan.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=763649
(now somehow I can't login on that forum), because I had a "flickering" video playback.

When I log into the standard session of linux mint, I still have the same problem, but when I login to the "gnome failsafe" session, all video playback works fine.

Anyone has an idea?

Thanks a lot!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Graphics ok in "gnome failsafe" mode, but not in standard

Post by Husse »

This is odd
Ati Radio
I hope this is a typo for ATI Radeon
I installed the EnvyNG software tool
Envy has been there by default for a long time now in Mint - what did you do?
More facts are needed
Which ATI card?
Which Mint exactly?
run lspci in a terminal and post the result (right click for copy)
kloispetie

Post by kloispetie »

I mean Ati Radeon indeed.
After installing Linux mint 5, my graphics were not that good, so I searched the internet and tried to install the latest drivers from the Ati Website. After rebooting, I only got a 800*600 resolution, so something went wrong. Therefore, I once again installed the drivers with EnvyNG. Now my resolution is ok, but still: visual effects are allmost impossible, and whitchever video file or dvd I try to play, I allways get a "flickering" video.

The result from my lspci:
00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Xpress 200 Host Bridge (rev 01)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI-X Root Port
00:19.0 PCI bridge: ALi Corporation M5249 HTT to PCI Bridge
00:1c.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.1 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.2 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.3 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 2.0 Controller (rev 01)
00:1d.0 Audio device: ALi Corporation High Definition Audio/AC'97 Host Controller
00:1e.0 ISA bridge: ALi Corporation PCI to LPC Controller (rev 31)
00:1e.1 Bridge: ALi Corporation M7101 Power Management Controller [PMU]
00:1f.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev c7)
00:1f.1 RAID bus controller: ALi Corporation ULi 5287 SATA (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV515 [Radeon X1300]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV515 [Radeon X1300] (Secondary)
02:15.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13)
02:16.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 80)
Husse

Post by Husse »

If I'm not mistaken RV515 [Radeon X1300] is a low end card and the motherboard is definitely low end. (Sorry I don't want to offend you) It's ALi chip and ALi has a solid reputation for not being very good
I think you have to turn off Compiz especially when you watch video - this is unfortunately something that a lot of people have to do
(Control Center > Appearance > Visual effects > none)
kloispetie

Post by kloispetie »

that solved the problem indeed. Thank you very much.
I'm not offended by the way :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”