Passwords: Isn't ONCE enough?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
simplebasics

Passwords: Isn't ONCE enough?

Post by simplebasics »

I came to Linux Mint because after twenty years of windows, I was fed up with security and permissions, and most of all, MY pc acting like it belonged to Microsoft. Enough. Of course I understand the need for security measures in the workplace, but not at home, especially if I'm the only one here :)

I liked Linux from the beginning, but then....
I mean, having to enter my password a hundred times a day is beyond ridiculous. And yes, I have searched and searched for an answer. but I can't find it.

So, my first question is: (and I can't believe it hasn't been asked a million times, but I can't find it)
How can I enter my password ONCE, and work on my pc the rest of the day without having to prove who I am? Thank you
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Passwords: Isn't ONCE enough?

Post by Moem »

By not doing anything that results in changes to the system. In other words: don't install or upgrade anything. Just open your applications and use them. Then you won't need your password.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

simplebasics wrote:I came to Linux Mint because after twenty years of windows, I was fed up with security and permissions, and most of all, MY pc acting like it belonged to Microsoft. Enough. Of course I understand the need for security measures in the workplace, but not at home, especially if I'm the only one here :)

I liked Linux from the beginning, but then....
I mean, having to enter my password a hundred times a day is beyond ridiculous. And yes, I have searched and searched for an answer. but I can't find it.

So, my first question is: (and I can't believe it hasn't been asked a million times, but I can't find it)
How can I enter my password ONCE, and work on my pc the rest of the day without having to prove who I am? Thank you
Best go back to Windows then.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

simplebasics wrote:I mean, having to enter my password a hundred times a day is beyond ridiculous.
This suggests that for an unknown reason you seem to be constantly changing system-wide settings. Or you are constantly fiddling around with system files which you as a newbie should very likely leave alone.
Honestly, "hundred times" reads like you are vastly exaggerating.
Of course I understand the need for security measures in the workplace, but not at home, especially if I'm the only one here
This sentence suggests that you do not understand the need for security measures at all. What makes you think that an office computer running inside a company LAN were exposed to a higher risk than your home machine?
Company LANs are frequently managed by trained IT people who are at least aware that risks exist and who sometimes even have an idea how to protect their users. Home machines, however, ... :shock:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Doug B
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Doug B »

simplebasics wrote:I came to Linux Mint because after twenty years of windows, I was fed up with security and permissions, and most of all, MY pc acting like it belonged to Microsoft. Enough. Of course I understand the need for security measures in the workplace, but not at home, especially if I'm the only one here :)
Passwords are put in for your own security. As long as you are connected to the internet you may well ***NOT*** be the only one with access to your computer. (Think cookies, for one). Don't say we didn't warn you and don't blame us!

Having said that above if you want to eliminate the password on login, go to User Manager/System Settings/ choose your user then tick the Automatic Login box.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

simplebasics wrote:I mean, having to enter my password a hundred times a day is beyond ridiculous.
What do you do with the computer? I mean, I have difficulties to imagine to do 100 separate system relevant changes per day.
Leaves the conclusion, that you feel the hundred times, but you did not really count them.

You get asked for the password, if the system must make sure, that you - the user - has requested the system change, and not a local or distant (Internet!) unauthorized person or script. With a cached password this would be impossible.

If you have a new system installed it is rather likely, that you have at first some more system tasks to do, starting with the needed updates. But that is only on the first day and this is hardly only near to hundred times. And surely this is nothing you do daily.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

simplebasics wrote:(and I can't believe it hasn't been asked a million times, but I can't find it)
Well, I would not confirm that it has been asked a million times before, at least not in the Linux Mint forums alone, but I am pretty confident that not many weeks pass by without a newbie asking this question or a question to the same effect.
So, it is not amazing that it took me less than 5 minutes to find a small number of such threads, simply googling for "Too many passwords site:linuxmint.com". (Took me more time to type this post.)

2015: <RESOLVED>Too many Password Requests
2015: How to stop Linux Mint asking for passwords
2015: Identity Crisis! (Account Permissions) SOLVED
2014: A plea about passwords
2013: How to disable password prompts in Mint 14?
2010: Too many passwords asked
2009: Help -too many password requests
2009: too many password requests

As the same question can be expressed in different ways, it should be possible to locate more such threads by modifying the searched expression.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
simplebasics

Post by simplebasics »

@karichen
Obviously, you don't remember when you installed Linux. You HAVE to change settings to make it comfortable to your likings. Remember: It is MY pc, not Microsoft's or Linux.

Also, you HAVE to update and install etc, etc, and every time you do, you have to prove who your are.

I can't believe you asked this question: What makes you think that an office computer running inside a company LAN were exposed to a higher risk than your home machine?

Because I am the only one using or who has access to my pc. (Yes, there are malicious people who could hack and whatever, but I'd take the chance. And, more important, I should have the choice to take the chance. That is why I left Windows.

@Doug B
Thank you, but logging in IS the once I was talking about that I don't mind.

@Cosmos
No, my friend. The transition to Linux from Windows is a MAJOR thing, a MAJOR change, and I had to install, and re-install, and look up HOW to install, and find out WHY "terminal" couldn't find my pkgs, and find out why a hundred other things. Thank you for being so understanding though.

@Habitual
I think I will. Thank you all for your lame help.
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler »

simplebasics wrote:How can I enter my password ONCE, and work on my pc the rest of the day without having to prove who I am? Thank you
To be honest I've used many ubuntu distros and Linux Mint does seem more annoying than the others somehow. It is indeed while setting up a fresh installation by installing the packages you need and making config changes that I really wish there was an easy way of having privileges for half an hour or so at a time. Wouldn't even mind if there's a big red flashing warning sign on my desktop for the duration.

Needs something (I know sudo has a duration). Encourages short passwords as is...

(Edited a bit after seeing the post above.)
Last edited by Old Ruler on Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

simplebasics wrote:I am the only one using or who has access to my pc.
When connected to the internet, you're *not* the only one who has access to your computer. For example: every bloody website that you visit has that.
Thank you all for your lame help.
Go back to Windows. Make it quick. On the double. And may you live happily ever after.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
LinuxJim

Post by LinuxJim »

simplebasics wrote: Of course I understand the need for security measures in the workplace, but not at home, especially if I'm the only one here :)
But you're *not* the only one there. If your PC has a network connection of any kind, then there are MILLIONS of others right there with you, trying to get in... ;)

EDIT: just realized that others have said this above. Never mind, move along...
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

simplebasics wrote:The transition to Linux from Windows is a MAJOR thing, a MAJOR change, and I had to install, and re-install, and look up HOW to install, and find out WHY "terminal" couldn't find my pkgs, and find out why a hundred other things.
Day by day? Please keep serious.
If you say with this answer, that you are a Linux-newbie - we all started at some time as such, so we know about this situation - than it is unbelievable, that you can change and install hundred things per day inclusive investigating, what you need to learn.
Say you sit in front of the computer 20 hours per day (very unbelievable) without any break for eating, toilet, talking with somebody else, perhaps watching TV or whatever (not only unbelievable, but also a superhuman power of concentration), than this would give 5 system changes per hour - inclusive downloading the software, reading and understanding the obviously new software ("find out" in your words). That are 12 minutes per task.

As you wrote in the starting post, that you did use some time or finding answers about this topic (therefor is definitely no password necessary) the above calculation is far to optimistic.

Not counted the fact, that a Newbie will also need to investigate in settings, where no password is needed (settings inside the account).

I say it clear: I don't believe it. My experience says the same. What you tell is physically impossible.
LinuxJim

Post by LinuxJim »

Old Ruler wrote:
simplebasics wrote:making config changes that I really wish there was an easy way of having privileges for half an hour or so at a time.
There are several ways to do this. One is:

Code: Select all

$ timeout -k 30m su root
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, simplebasics.
simplebasics wrote:Obviously, you don't remember when you installed Linux.
Hm, you are making (incorrect) assumptions on the number of Ubuntu / Linux Mint installations which I have done during the past few years.
Plus you are making (incorrect) assumptions about the capacity of my memory.
simplebasics wrote:Also, you HAVE to update and install etc, etc, and every time you do, you have to prove who your are.
Correct. This is the default by design. But this can be changed. Convenience vs. security is not an either or, but a tradeoff. And you can move the slider to either side: more security or more convenience. You decide.
simplebasics wrote:I can't believe you asked this question: What makes you think that an office computer running inside a company LAN were exposed to a higher risk than your home machine?
You do not have to believe it, because I have asked you this question. And you have not given a convincing answer.
simplebasics wrote:Because I am the only one using or who has access to my pc.
If you are the only inhabitant of your house, but never lock your front door, intruders are more likely to visit you than if you live in a large house with many inhabitants where everybody locks their frontdoors and a janitor keeps an eye on who comes in and who leaves the house. So being the only inhabitant alone does not make you any safer. - Got the idea?
simplebasics wrote:And, more important, I should have the choice to take the chance.
You have got the choice to lower the default security settings. What you complain about is the security default configuration. You are absolutely free to raise the convenience level at the cost of the security level.
The default configuration is considered to be sufficiently secure without rendering your system unusable.
simplebasics wrote:Thank you all for your lame help.
The problem is not our lame help.
The problem is that the way how you report the problem and the way how you ask the question makes clear that you are not interested in getting answers based on Linux expertise. You want us to agree to your point of view only.
The way how you ask about the password dialogues implies the only answer which you will accept is the answer "yes, entering the password on login alone is enough".
You are not interested in taking into consideration anything which does not conform to your current point of view. Why then ask us and blame us for giving the wrong answers?

Yet, as I said, Linux Mint does permit you to change its configuration. This includes the sudo/gksudo configuration as well as the policykit configuration. You have got the choice to lower the default security rules.

Regards,
Karl
Lifeline
Doug B
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Doug B »

Pjotr wrote: Go back to Windows. Make it quick. On the double. And may you live happily ever after.
Preferably Windows 10! :wink:
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

simplebasics wrote: @Habitual
I think I will. Thank you all for your lame help.
Say Hi to Bill for me.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Doug B wrote:
Pjotr wrote: Go back to Windows. Make it quick. On the double. And may you live happily ever after.
Preferably Windows 10! :wink:

I hate that POS :evil:
LinuxJim

Post by LinuxJim »

Habitual wrote: Say Hi to Bill for me.
He's not there anymore. Didn't want to ride the downhill crash & burn... ;)
wong

Post by wong »

I do sympathise with what often seems like password overload. Keeping up to date on a few machines, trying out new shiny things, keeping the systems lean and clean can make for a lot of password typing.

My want for administrator privileges went up tenfold when I started using linux a few years back in place of osx. Linux might not be about choice but there's a hell of a lot of it available, it's fun to try and a big chunk of how-to or wiki articles out there invoke root privileges.

Whilst the usual 'here be dragons' applies opting out of password authentication for a user or group is something you have control over.

Code: Select all

visudo
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Log in as root - it dangerous and vulnerable and really stupid but it will solve your password problem. Funny thing is today I have been on my machine for a few hours - hmmm. . . no updates - no system changes . . . . gee I haven't used my password once yet today.

Return to “Beginner Questions”