Closing Lid Problem in Laptop

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Gameranand

Closing Lid Problem in Laptop

Post by Gameranand »

Hello, I recently switched to Mint LMDE2 from Windows.
Everything is working fine but there are a few problems that I face and specifically this one.
Whenever I close the lid of the laptop, and I reopen it again then many times it just shows be black screen and nothing else. I tried to press some keys but nothing happens. I have specified the computer to do nothing if I close the lid, so basically it should work as usual and lock the screen. But when I open the lid its nothing nada.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Closing Lid Problem in Laptop

Post by Pjotr »

Gameranand wrote:Hello, I recently switched to Mint LMDE2 from Windows.
I don't know the answer, because I'm unfamiliar with LMDE. But I do want to say this: for a Linux beginner, LMDE is not the right choice. LMDE is meant for advanced and experienced Linux users.

Beginners better select the main edition. So I advise to consider a switch.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Gameranand wrote:I have specified the computer to do nothing if I close the lid
This is a potentially dangerous setting, as the laptop may easily overhead.
Gameranand

Post by Gameranand »

Cosmo. wrote:
Gameranand wrote:I have specified the computer to do nothing if I close the lid
This is a potentially dangerous setting, as the laptop may easily overhead.
I do this when I have to download something in night while I sleep.

Also this is not a regular problem, I mean sometimes opening lid works just fine. But sometimes, it does happens. Till now it happened two times that is why I aksed here.
Gameranand

Post by Gameranand »

Pjotr wrote:
Gameranand wrote:Hello, I recently switched to Mint LMDE2 from Windows.
I don't know the answer, because I'm unfamiliar with LMDE. But I do want to say this: for a Linux beginner, LMDE is not the right choice. LMDE is meant for advanced and experienced Linux users.

Beginners better select the main edition. So I advise to consider a switch.
I used to use Ubuntu but switched to Mint because of bloatware is Ubuntu in recent times. I used to use it a little because I am a gamer and because of that as you can understand using windows is compulsory. Recently I have paused gaming for personal reasons for some time and my laptop is not that good so switched to this edition to have very small footprint. And I should say that I am quite satisfied. :)
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

You'll find that @pjotr has a terrible habit of being right. The main edition looks and acts much like LMDE2. And if it's light weight you want, consider the xfce desktop. I'm sure the "bloatware" in Ubuntu has been removed in Mint, if it was there to begin with; the few times I tried Ubuntu I never found any, but that's been awhile. In any case, it costs nothing but time to try it out, and you may find that your lid-opening problem disappears. If all else fails, you can set your screensaver to blank and simply leave the lid open.
Gameranand

Post by Gameranand »

kevinthefixer wrote:You'll find that @pjotr has a terrible habit of being right. The main edition looks and acts much like LMDE2. And if it's light weight you want, consider the xfce desktop. I'm sure the "bloatware" in Ubuntu has been removed in Mint, if it was there to begin with; the few times I tried Ubuntu I never found any, but that's been awhile. In any case, it costs nothing but time to try it out, and you may find that your lid-opening problem disappears. If all else fails, you can set your screensaver to blank and simply leave the lid open.
Ubuntu was awesome but then the Ubuntu One, ads in search etc pissed me off. And No Mint didn't had any bloatware to begin with, I love it.
I'll try your suggestion.

Return to “LMDE Archive”