Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce Review

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce Review

Post by tdockery97 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:52 pm

Nice to see an extremely positive review of Mint 17.3 Xfce on this week's Distrowatch Weekly.
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 17.3 Review

Post by Ozo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:19 pm

I am a new Mint user and appreciate your intro to this pub (Distrowatch). I read the article and it was good to see the nice words. Here is the link;

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20160125#mint

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce Review

Post by Pjotr » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:48 am

Good to read such a positive article about Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce! Its praise is well deserved.

Mint Xfce is the best way for owners of older computers, to enjoy all the benefits, ease and polish of modern desktop Linux. 8)
Last edited by Pjotr on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Distrowatch review

Post by kc1di » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:34 pm

Nice Review of LinuxMint XFCE edtion on Distrowatch this week.
http://distrowatch.com/
Last edited by xenopeek on Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: same topic, merged here
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Drygar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drygar » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:02 pm

Go, Go, LM, Go !

Go, Go, LM, Go !!!!!!
:D
Fan of XFCE, MATE, Linux Mint, RedHat, ecryptFS, FSF
Open source enthusiast
No security - No freedom
LM 17.2

His name is Linux >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOtKZA9ri7M

Mr.October
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mr.October » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:10 am

A better review is not possible, the man gave LinuxMint XFCE a full 100 points.
We have to thank Clem and his team of developers for this. Thank you very much.
Yes, I know Mint is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian but the extra software which is put in Mint is put in by Clem. These extras make Mint Mint. That's how it differs from the underlying distros. Extras, big and small, which make life easier, which make working with the distro a delight. Add to this the Debian stability and ease of use way of working coming from Ubuntu and we have the perfect distro.
I am very happy Mint uses DE's which all have a common factor: they all use a bar at the bottom and a "Start"-menu which is opened by a button at the lower left corner of the screen. Something the whole world is used to.

Great review for a great distro.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:17 am

While no distribution is a perfect fit for everyone, I have to say I was very impressed with how smoothly Mint's Xfce edition performed. I did not encounter any bugs during my trial, no crashes or quirks. Everything worked as expected and the system was both stable and responsive. It is very rare I have such a pleasant experience with an operating system, but Mint was an ideal fit for me this week, finding a comfortable balance between friendliness and staying out of my way.
+1
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 17.3 "XFCE" reviewed by Distrowatch

Post by MtnDewManiac » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:42 am

ByeByeXP wrote:Distrowatch's weekly reviews of linux-distros are, imho, fair & on-point.
IDK about the "on-point" part. I had only read to the third sentence when I found an error. The author referred to the Xfce flavor of Mint as being a community edition, when it's actually an official release. Does the rest of the article have a 33% error rate, too :lol: :roll: ?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fraxinus_63 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:48 am

Thanks. I find it hard to imagine a more positive review than this and I'll be circulating it to some colleagues. I run Mint 17.2 XFCE on an ancient netbook and it's superb.

I'm a long-time (and very happy) MATE user but I must say I like Mint's way with XFCE more and more. In years gone by, the great thing about XFCE was its configurability - but there were always a few aspects of the default desktop settings etc. that seemed to me slightly clunky or inappropriate and needed to be tweaked in a new install. Mint has now given it extra "out-of-the-box" polish and finesse.

jescario
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jescario » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:18 am

Hi everybody.
I see that some people say that are fan of LM with Mate and with XFCE at the same time.
I'm a long-time (and very happy) MATE user but I must say I like Mint's way with XFCE more and more. [/quote]
I have also installed LM Mate and in a netbook LM XFCE, but I don't know the differences between them in terms of memory consumption and speed. How are these differences? Quite important or hardly nonee?
Thanks

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:22 am

jescario wrote:I have also installed LM Mate and in a netbook LM XFCE, but I don't know the differences between them in terms of memory consumption and speed. How are these differences? Quite important or hardly nonee?
Thanks
Xfce is the lightweight champion... From heavy to light:
1. Cinnamon, KDE
2. Mate
3. Xfce

Note that perceived performance difference and system load may vary with usage patterns. Hard to quantify.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:05 pm

Pjotr wrote:
jescario wrote:I have also installed LM Mate and in a netbook LM XFCE, but I don't know the differences between them in terms of memory consumption and speed. How are these differences? Quite important or hardly nonee?
Thanks
Xfce is the lightweight champion... From heavy to light:
1. Cinnamon, KDE
2. Mate
3. Xfce

Note that perceived performance difference and system load may vary with usage patterns. Hard to quantify.
These days, with a reasonably modern laptop, the difference between Xfce and MATE is more personal preference than "what can I run," I think. A person with the more powerful laptop might choose to run Xfce while the person with the less powerful laptop (or desktop) might choose MATE - and both could be happy.

However, if I had a netbook, I'd probably start with Xfce. If things still seemed sluggish, I'd try LXDE or one of the other less well-known solutions that should be available in Synaptic Package Manager (some of which are probably more stripped down than one would need even on a netbook).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”