accidently encrypted LUKS to windows system drive

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
slickdaddy96

accidently encrypted LUKS to windows system drive

Post by slickdaddy96 »

Ok I am little new to LinuxMint. I made a USB drive bootable drive. In Mint I was looking to encrypt and install Mint on a bigger USB drive. Unfortunately did not pay attention and accidently encrypted my windows hard drive on the laptop. Now windows will not boot. I had some media files and other things on there I would like to get off, but I can't get it to mount in Mint even with the right password. It just disappears. I assume this is because I have Mint on a 8 GB flash drive and need to have an equal 1 TB Mint drive in order for all the files on the Windows System drive to mount correct?

Will this fix it to get my files off, or am I just screwed and should just reformat and reinstall windows 10 and just say oh well to the files?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LinuxJim

Re: accidently encrypted LUKS to windows system drive

Post by LinuxJim »

slickdaddy96 wrote:I assume this is because I have Mint on a 8 GB flash drive and need to have an equal 1 TB Mint drive in order for all the files on the Windows System drive to mount correct?
Not correct. The size of the Mint system doesn't matter. You can mount any size hard drive.

What program did you use to encrypt the drive?
slickdaddy96

Post by slickdaddy96 »

I encrypted in Mint with ubiquity install command to make a new install. Just didn't choose the right disc when doing it.
slickdaddy96

Post by slickdaddy96 »

So it is a LUKS encryption.
slickdaddy96

Post by slickdaddy96 »

To add more info to this. I've listed the partitions to the physical volume and the biggest one doesn't have a file system type associated.with it. When I search for logical drives I see the big one listed after unlocking the drive in terminal. Again that logical drive does not have file system type listed for it. So when I try to mount the logical volume it asks me to specify a file system type. I have tried all types possible and they all give me error messages and the volume won't mount. I would assume a Windows system volume would be ntfs, but mounting as type ntfs-3g gives me an error just like any other type.

Am I just screwed? All I need to do is mount it to get files off and I plan to reformat the whole volume anyway to get rid of the encryption.

Return to “Hardware Support”