Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
zippytex
Level 2
Level 2

Yeah Write! Word Processor on Linux Mint and Wine

Post by zippytex »

You can find a word processor at yeahwrite.com that is very different and organized. You can run it on linux mint with wine. It works just fine! No problems and is so logical to keep files, as you would with file folders in a file cabinet. Take a look. My problem is that although the program works fine, I cannot seem to put a link on the desktop.

If I click on Menu, then under applications choose wine, then click on browse c: Drive, and then click on YW folder and right click on YW.exe and open with wine, it works fine.
However, if I try to put a link on the desktop from the yw folder, it will put it on the desktop, but it won't open up. Even if I right click on yw.exe link on desktop and tell it to open with wine, it won't do it. There must be something else in the YW folder that I need to make a link for also.

Anyone have any ideas? The program is so great, I will do what I have to do to use the program. You can put a whole book in one main file folder and then create sub tabs, etc., for chapters....

Thanks for looking.
Mary :P
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Yeah Write! Word Processor on Linux Mint and Wine

Post by Habitual »

try something like:

Code: Select all

wine $HOME/.wine/drive_c/path/to/yw.exe
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Yeah Write! Word Processor on Linux Mint and Wine

Post by Flemur »

Habitual:
try something like:
wine $HOME/.wine/drive_c/path/to/yw.exe
That'll work. However, the below will allow passing parameters, and "rt-click->open with" in a file browser:

~/bin/foobar:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

QUICKPARLOCATION="c:\\pgms\\foobar2000\\foobar2000.exe"
PARAM=`winepath -w "$*"`
wine "$QUICKPARLOCATION" "$PARAM" &
exit 0
Just
- change the QUICKPARLOCATION to match your program.
- put (keep) quotes around the path if it's installed under "Program Files" rather than the superior "pgms".
- put the file in your $PATH (e.g. ~/bin) and mark it executable (chmod +x filename).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Software & Applications”