Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
andrewam
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dropbox, applet/ indicator not appearing

Post by andrewam » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:43 am

Hello to all!
I think I've found a workaround for this problem (I'm on Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit flavour).
I had created a new entry in Startup Application settings to replicate the launch of Dropbox service and I deleted the original Dropbox entry. But, after a reboot, I have 2 Dropobox entry in Startup Applications.
It seems that Dropbox service makes a copy of the "dropbox.desktop" file from /usr/share/applications into ~/.config/autostart, so rewriting any changes made into the latter copy of the file.
So I've modified the original one file /usr/share/applications/dropbox.desktop file adding the following line at the end of the file itself:

Code: Select all

X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay=7
to have a 7 seconds delay on Dropbox startup after login (I'm on a SSD disk, so you may need a further delay to correctly start the service).

For now, after several reboots and logins, it seems it's functioning.

Bye

dallen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dallen » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:03 pm

I have tried this solution, but for some reason I am still not able to get the Dropbox applet to appear. Any thoughts and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jmg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmg » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:33 pm

I just posted on another thread (Linux Mint Forums - Dropbox Applet Not Appearing) a workaround to get the dropbox icon back on the system tray:

dropbox stop
sudo dropbox start
It worked for some people even without the "sudo" for previous similar bugs, but with the current Dropbox versions (3.14.5 now) this seems necessary, and therefore the current bug appears to be related to permissions.

Of course running as root is just a temporary workaround. Let's hope this Dropbox bug gets fixed soon.
Last edited by jmg on Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmg » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:35 pm

There are additional details on this and current related bugs and the temporary workaround (which also works on other Linux distros such as Xubuntu), and also important details on files affected by sudo, at:

Dropbox icon is not working Xubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 - Ask Ubuntu
Last edited by jmg on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

dallen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dallen » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:34 pm

I just wanted to thank everyone that replies. Linux Mint is awesome and so is the community of users. Everyone is always very helpful whenever I stumble across and issue. So just to update everyone what contributed to my issue was that I deleted the Dropbox applet hoping that I could reinstall it. Part of the problem was that the Dropbox applet is not listed in the available applet list (neither installed nor available online). I had tried the previous suggestion of doing dropbox stop & dropbox start to no avail. However, when I right-clicked on the taskbar and selected troubleshoot there was an option "restore all settings to default." Once I clicked that I tried doing dropbox stop & dropbox start...and it worked. The Dropbox applet has returned. Thanks again.

jmg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmg » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:09 pm

New: There is now a much better workaround than mine, suggested by kk78 to have the Dropbox tray icon as normal user, no root. It works at least for Xubuntu and Linux Mint:

dropbox stop && DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="" dropbox start

jmg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmg » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:46 pm

A more recent and even better workaround, working for more Linux operating systems, and also without the file ownership recovery inconvenience of the sudo (root) one:

dropbox stop && dbus-launch dropbox start

Jlynton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jlynton » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:50 am

jmg wrote:A more recent and even better workaround, working for more Linux operating systems, and also without the file ownership recovery inconvenience of the sudo (root) one:

dropbox stop && dbus-launch dropbox start
After reading the above post, I have fixed my dropbox icon by opening 'Preferences' -> 'Startup Applications' and editing the dropbox entry so the command now reads:

dbus-launch dropbox start
Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa", Cinnamon 64-bit

leona
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leona » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:44 pm

But that do you do if you ave multiple accounts?
Kind Regards

Leona
--------
PC: Intel I3-3225, Zalman CNPS8900 cooler, MSI H77MA-G43 M'board, 8Gb DDR3-1600 Corsair XMS3 RAM, Sandisk SDSSDP064G 64Gb SSD (/ /root) WD WD20EA 2Tb Green HDD (/home), LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM Drive

Fromax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fromax » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:42 pm

Jlynton wrote: After reading the above post, I have fixed my dropbox icon by opening 'Preferences' -> 'Startup Applications' and editing the dropbox entry so the command now reads:

dbus-launch dropbox start
I did that too. But then I realized that an update might overwrite the change. I think it's better to leave the existing entry alone (only disabled) and create a new entry (e.g. "Launch DropBox") with the new start command (`dbus-launch dropbox start`). You should probably also run it with a 20 sec. delay.

Note that this seems to be a Cinnamon issue, and it affects both Mint 17.3 and LMDE2.
LMDE 3 | BunsenLabs 'helium' | Linux Mint 18.2

qbicdesign
Level 3
Level 3

Post by qbicdesign » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:05 pm

jmg wrote:I just posted on another thread (Linux Mint Forums - Dropbox Applet Not Appearing) a workaround to get the dropbox icon back on the system tray:

dropbox stop
sudo dropbox start
This worked for me too - pretty clear its a permissions issue.

gav888
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gav888 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:38 am

Is there a permanent fix?

Helbent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Helbent » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:08 am

andrewam wrote:Hello to all!
I think I've found a workaround for this problem (I'm on Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit flavour).
I had created a new entry in Startup Application settings to replicate the launch of Dropbox service and I deleted the original Dropbox entry. But, after a reboot, I have 2 Dropobox entry in Startup Applications.
It seems that Dropbox service makes a copy of the "dropbox.desktop" file from /usr/share/applications into ~/.config/autostart, so rewriting any changes made into the latter copy of the file.
So I've modified the original one file /usr/share/applications/dropbox.desktop file adding the following line at the end of the file itself:

X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay=7
to have a 7 seconds delay on Dropbox startup after login (I'm on a SSD disk, so you may need a further delay to correctly start the service).

For now, after several reboots and logins, it seems it's functioning.

Bye
This worked perfectly for me with the expection that I had to change the delay to 20 seconds. THANKS!

Return to “Software & Applications”