Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
riedochs
Level 1
Level 1

Dropbox trayicon is missing in KDE

Post by riedochs » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:21 am

Hi,

I'm using LinuxMint 17.3 with KDE. I installed dropbox but the trayicon is not showing up. Any solution on this?

regards

riedochs

jmg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dropbox trayicon is missing in KDE

Post by jmg » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:11 pm

There is a temporary workaround for this Dropbox tray icon bug on other threads. Basically:

Code: Select all

dropbox stop
sudo dropbox start
Some related threads on the Linux Mint Forums:
- Dropbox Applet Not Appearing
- Dropbox requires sudo
- Dropbox, applet/ indicator not appearing
- Dropbox icon still not ok in Mint 17.2

futanari
Level 1
Level 1

Post by futanari » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:12 pm

I had a similar problem with another application which didn't show in the tray icon. The solution was to go to the startup programs and then to deactivate an app called "application indicator" which is used for gnu. Reboot the pc aftewards. Might be a solution. If nothing changes, reactivate it.
Linux Rosa Mint 17.3 XFCE:
  • CPU: Single Core Intel Pentium M
    Speed: 1700 MHz
    Memory: 494.2 MB
    HDD: 80.0 GB

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi "riedochs", and anyoine else interested in this,

I don't really use Dropbox because the free version only has 2 gb of space available, although that can be useful for some things too. But, because of this post and previous posts, I decided to retry "Dropbox". I do have a free Dropbox account, and their paid for service seems very reasonable at $1.99 a month for 100 gb of space; that is pretty good.

I am using Linux Mint KDE 17.3, and I installed the "Dropbox" programs from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), and for the Dolphin file manager through the Dolphin manager options. When I ran the Dropbox program from my menus, it automatically wanted to download and install the Dropbox daemon which I let it do. I do not have the "Dropbox" system tray panel icon either. I then downloaded their newest version from their website, still no joy, and no system tray icon. The program works well from the menu, just no system tray panel icon. I tried all kinds of stuff recommended here and in other posts, but nothing worked except, what user "jmg" posted, stopping the "Dropbox" service daemon from the console terminal prompt, and restarting it using:

dropbox stop
sudo dropbox start

I tried "kdesudo", and other variations (dropbox start -i), but only "sudo dropbox start" works for me, not sure why. Some articles said, add a delay of 10 in the startup section, but I do not know how to add a delay in the KDE startup section, do any of you? I read that it could be a "bug", software glitch, and it definitely has a permissions problem or "sudo" would not be required. I was thinking that maybe changing the permission to whatever Dropbox file(s), might also resolve this, but I do not know which files, or the correct permission command to run.

So, when anyone finds out a better solution, to manually running these commands, or creating a script of these commands and running that, maybe a Dropbox program, permission command, or installation update, please let us all know. Thank you.
KDE_DropBox1.jpg
Dropbox programs in my Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).
KDE_DropBox2.jpg
When I first ran the Dropbox program from the menu.
KDE_DropBox_Dolphin.jpg
Linux Mint KDE Dolphin file manager,
Dropbox options.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

jmg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmg » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:33 pm

phd21 wrote:I tried "kdesudo", and other variations (dropbox start -i), but only "sudo dropbox start" works for me, not sure why. Some articles said, add a delay of 10 in the startup section, but I do not know how to add a delay in the KDE startup section, do any of you? I read that it could be a "bug", software glitch, and it definitely has a permissions problem or "sudo" would not be required. I was thinking that maybe changing the permission to whatever Dropbox file(s), might also resolve this, but I do not know which files, or the correct permission command to run.
Yes, all seems to point to a bug related to permissions in current Dropbox versions (3.14.5 now). The delay was a solution for previous bugs, but not for the current one.

There are additional details on this and current related bugs and the temporary workaround (which also works on other Linux distros such as Xubuntu), and also important details on files affected by sudo, at:

Dropbox icon is not working Xubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 - Ask Ubuntu
phd21 wrote:So, when anyone finds out a better solution, to manually running these commands, or creating a script of these commands and running that, maybe a Dropbox program, permission command, or installation update, please let us all know. Thank you.
Running as root with sudo is naturally just a very temporary workaround and, really, Dropbox should fix this bug soon, since it affects so many Linux users.

Anyway, if you prefer a simple shell script instead of entering the workaround by hand these days, until the hopefully next bug fix, see Linux Mint Forums - Dropbox requires sudo.

jmg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmg » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:12 pm

New: There is now a much better workaround than mine, suggested by kk78 to have the Dropbox tray icon as normal user, no root. It works at least for Xubuntu and Linux Mint:

dropbox stop && DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="" dropbox start

jmg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmg » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:47 pm

A more recent and even better workaround, working for more Linux operating systems, and also without the file ownership recovery inconvenience of the sudo (root) one:

dropbox stop && dbus-launch dropbox start

woohoo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by woohoo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:44 pm

This problem still exists in 2019 :)

Thanks (jmg) for the solution, I am using XFCE in Debian, and in "Session and Startup" I can start Dropbox with this line:

dbus-launch dropbox start

Return to “Software & Applications”