No boot after installing broadcon driver

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
invfor

No boot after installing broadcon driver

Post by invfor »

Did a clean install of 17.3 Mate...went perfect. Booted up fine, an worked perfect over last few days, boot up an shut down. Decided to look into the wireless issue today. Went to Administrator/ driver and it told me to either connect to internet or put installation cd. I did( put installation CD in) and the screen showed where the Broadcom wireless adapter( BCM4306.802.11b/g wireless controller) was not enabled. I clicked next to "version 6.30.223.248+BDcom oubuntuo.2-lp1415880-1". I thought great...clicked install and started installing driver. When it finished it asked to restart...only thing is then mouse was frozen and would not move. Even tried using a usb mouse that had previously worked an no dice. No keyboard functions either. I had to shut down computer by holding pwr button down...Now after bios screen all i get is blank screen an mint will not boot up...if i hit esc button i get the very small "lm" linux mint logo in center of screen but nothing else.

Mint was running fine until then?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
invfor

Re: No boot after installing broadcon driver

Post by invfor »

Booted from disk and ran OS from disk and tried the same thing just to see. Went to administrator, Driver and tried to install broadcom wireless lan controller and after it finished everything froze...and this was running from disk, had to force close.

Completely reinstalling 17.3 Mate now...

Any idea's?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

invfor wrote:Completely reinstalling 17.3 Mate now...
Re-installing is the easiest quick fix. Can you get a wired connection? Was there a problem with the default driver?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
invfor

Post by invfor »

I do not have a wired connection so i went into driver manager and installed the driver from the installation disc an it froze the system...could it be that the driver from the install disc is not compatible with my hardware? I have a netgear wireless adapter that i will try to install an access the internet from that an update the system an see if it offers me diff. drivers....or that's the plan from here i guess.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Please post the result of:

Code: Select all

lspci -nn -d 14e4:
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

austin.texas wrote:Please post the result of:

Code: Select all

lspci -nn -d 14e4:
You beat me to it ... an issue with broadcom wireless cards is that one of their cards with a particular model name may actually have one of several different cards in there. So you need to know the PCI ID of the card, which follows '14e4:' when you run the avove command.

Unfortunately the Mint Driver Manager isn't always reliable ... this is also the case in the Ubuntu base. I've installed the recommended wireless driver there (actually in Ubuntu) and had it bork the wireless. I'll never, ever use it again.

Once you know the PCI ID have a look at the 1st answer here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/55868/in ... ss-drivers
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Falconus

Post by Falconus »

I was having some issues with my network card after the internet went out. The Broadcom driver was going nuts, and I had to disable the wireless to keep my computer from freezing.

It resolved itself after I reset the UEFI to the default settings. I don't know if that will solve your problem, but it could be worth a shot. Now my wireless card seems to be working perfectly fine.

Return to “Installation & Boot”