Installing windows driver "Error during installation"

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BlueBeastie

Installing windows driver "Error during installation"

Post by BlueBeastie »

So, I decided to try Mint 5 "Elyssa".
Mostly because I wanted to try Linux, but I need the Windows Driver whatchamacallit already installed.

Anyway, I install Mint 5 for a dual boot. (Got a boot problem with Windows. o.o But that's been resolved. Yay Rescue Disks! :D )

Anyway, I go and run the Windows Driver whatchamacallit, find the .inf driver for my Huawei EC228 (AUTORUN.INF) and hit install. But wouldn't you know it? It says there was an error. On the list of drivers, there's a big red X over it, and I can't seem to use my wireless card. D:

I says to myself, I says, "Well maybe this here autorun file isn't actually the driver, it just has a similar file extension."
But I've looked everyinternetwhere and AUTORUN.INF is the only .inf whatchamajigger that has anything to do with my Huawei EC228. D:

I know this may seem like a newb question, and I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for such a question. But any assistance I can get would be most appreciated. <3
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Installing windows driver "Error during installation"

Post by Husse »

AUTORUN.INF is a file found in the root of a CD to make it autostart under Windows, no driver at all :)
I can't find out what Huawei EC228 really is - is it a wifi or as I suspect a 3g modem?
It's connected via USB as far as I can understand
Run lsusb in a terminal and post the result (right click to copy)
I think Felicia has a better support for this
Perhaps this helps you?
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... lit=huawei
BlueBeastie

Post by BlueBeastie »

So... I was right! That wasn't the driver! >:3

It is a USB modem. I don't know where you're getting "3g" from, but yeah, it is a modem that connects to a USB slot.
If you want me to run it to see if Linux knows it's there, I already have. It says it's there. The lsusb command thingy, I mean. If you want it for some other reason, tell me and I'll have to post it later. I don't have a lot of time left on the computer as it is and it's a little time consuming to switch between OSs.

Thanks for the link. I don't know if it'll help much though, it seems to be about connecting via Bluetooth, and the Huawei model mentioned doesn't match mine.

Besides, it confuses me a little. @.@
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ok you say it's a modem - to connect to the GSM or 3g cell phone network I guess
And please if someone asks you to post something specific it is because the info is (more or less) needed
If I see the lsusb result I can, and you can, google for that specific device and see what it really is and how to treat it
BlueBeastie

Post by BlueBeastie »

Okie-dokie then, here ya go:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 413c:5112 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c016 Logitech, Inc. M-UV69a Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 093a:2468 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Easy Snap Snake Eye Webcam
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 413c:2003 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 12d1:1001 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E620 USB Modem
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 058f:9254 Alcor Micro Corp. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

That's what I get when I type "lsusb" in Linux's terminal.
Sorry for taking so long... D:

Return to “Hardware Support”