Change Forum Password or account deletion questions

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Change Forum Password

Post by Pierre »

Cosmo. wrote:
Pierre wrote:although, there still seems to be a few, who say that they still can't get in, straight away.
Count me to them. Logged in half an hour ago - with captcha.
eaahh - again - that happened - after a few days of peace, too..
- but was that a one-off ? ..

Edit: - nope - the issue is back, again.
- it takes a couple captcha guesses - to get in.
was all fine 'till an hour ago .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

It is still the same for me :mrgreen:
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

As I wrote (in another thread) I know from users, who are not affected and I wonder, why respectively why not. My guess is, that Clem & Co. don't know this answer also, otherwise it should be easier to solve it. But if doesn't know the technical cause, ....

For me there has nothing changed until today: Without wrong message about login attempts and captcha no login.
Again the question is: Why is this for others like Pierre different?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it may have been a captcha glitch - it's been fine ever since,
& have logged.in & out a few more times.
:?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

I saw a "Placeholder" with Clems's name on it, so I changed mine, again.

Industry Standard is what? Once every 90 days?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Habitual wrote:I saw a "Placeholder" with Clems's name on it, so I changed mine, again.

It may pay to Hold Fire - until we know the full story. .. ..
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Pierre wrote:
Habitual wrote:I saw a "Placeholder" with Clems's name on it, so I changed mine, again.

It may pay to Hold Fire - until we know the full story. .. ..
I ain't scared!
w1k0

Post by w1k0 »

I am trying to change my password but the forum's engine replies:
The password does not contain the required characters.

Username must be between 3 characters and 20 characters long and use letter, number, space or -+_[] characters.
My new password fits the above rules including everything but the spaces.

So it seems to me that there is something wrong with the forum's engine.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

try making one letter capital
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
w1k0

Post by w1k0 »

Well... That did the job. Thank you all41.

Deleted passage (I misread the instruction from “Edit account settings”).

The other problem concerning the login procedure is that the engine rejects the first attempt and displays the captcha. More elegant way would be to display the captcha at the first attempt.
bert99

How do I deregister from Forums?

Post by bert99 »

Being this is the 2nd time, in what 2 weeks, I have changed my password, I would like to deregister from the Forums until you have solved the hacking problem. I got zilch info. in Searches: How to deregister & Forum deregister? I did get 2 hits not on topic, tho.
I would appreciate specific steps to remove all my profile data so no hacker will have info as to my name, email. password, etc.TIA
Krzychu

Re: How do I deregister from Forums?

Post by Krzychu »

Hacking problem is fixed. Whatever was stolen is already stolen and nothing can change that. From few days looks like site and ISOs are safe. And I believe it will stay this way for a very long time.

If you still want to remove your account, check this post:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=217506#p1137867
bert99

Re: How do I deregister from Forums? SOLVED

Post by bert99 »

tHANX Changed passwords at all but Angie's list for which I am waiting 24 hours for reply to How to ?
Krzychu

Re: How do I deregister from Forums? SOLVED

Post by Krzychu »

bert99 wrote:tHANX Changed passwords at all but Angie's list for which I am waiting 24 hours for reply to How to ?
? I don't understand anything from that sentence, sorry...
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

Sorry, i have no idea how to delete a forum account. But if it's account security you're worried about, it makes more sense to change all your important passwords so that each is unique and complex. (email, paypal, business, government accounts)

Deleting your account won't do much to protect you, as mentioned, the data is already stolen.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/StrongPasswords
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Chiefahol wrote: Deleting your account won't do much to protect you, as mentioned, the data is already stolen.
And if you keep the account, you retain control over the data inside it. Not always a bad idea.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, bert99.
bert99 wrote:Being this is the 2nd time, in what 2 weeks, I have changed my password, I would like to deregister from the Forums until you have solved the hacking problem.
The problems have been solved. You will come across the request to change your password even more often if you go through the relevant threads and announcements. It is always the same request. And changing your password after the forum website hack is only required once. In case the intruders have hacked your account, then after changing your forum password once, they will not be able to login as you.
I got zilch info.
The following announcement / sticky thread exists and many more threads about the same topic which had been created by forum users. Difficult to miss them all.
+ Linux Mint Forums Back After Double Attack
+ All forums user should reset their password
in Searches: How to deregister & Forum deregister? I did get 2 hits not on topic, tho.
Please, do as explained by xenopeek here: How to change forum password / How to request account to be deleted
I would appreciate specific steps to remove all my profile data so no hacker will have info as to my name, email. password, etc.TIA
Too late, the forum DB has already been copied by the intruders.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

karlchen wrote:panic
A so short word for such a big misunderstanding.

Panic is always the least useful adviser for a helpful decision, especially if it goes about safety.

No stolen data will get back if the user decides for deregister. No data submitted since the last week will be affected by the hack in the last month.
But: A deregistered user would (likely) not get e.g. the just send admin-mail with the important security notice. So obviously not deregisted users are in advantage. (Not to speak about the main purpose of the forum: support.)
Georgia boy
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Change Forum Password or account deletion questions

Post by Georgia boy »

Okay. What's going on? For a little while I was able to just log in normally with my user id and my new password. Now I'm back with that you've attempted too many times message again with just first attempt and then need to do those put what I see again. When did this start back up??
Linux Mint, Mageia
Leveno IDea Centre

ASUS A53SD-TS72 Intel Cor i7-2670QM 2.20GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M, Mint LMDE2 64 bit.
0verdrive

How do I change my forum password, please? Solved.

Post by 0verdrive »

Hello. I have a temporary password which I want to replace, but can't seem to see how I should do this. Any assistance appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by 0verdrive on Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”