Help, slow etho1 file transfer between local machines 45 hrs

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kd7ura

Help, slow etho1 file transfer between local machines 45 hrs

Post by kd7ura »

ok need help. i have a live mint17.1 usb in one comp #1, mint17.3 on second #2, a etho cord between the 2.
both machine show 100mbps cards and i have to move 200plus gigs data to #2 comp then install mint on first by liveusb then move saved files back to new linux install, #1 comp was win7,, files are mostly famly vidio and pics,, my skills are weak in nature,, i made public folder in #2 shared, mounted in #1 and drag drop Saved stuff folder to public shared. transfer shows 2.4mbps and 45hrs to transfer.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, HELPPPPP ;)
im solar here and power gets shut down nightly!!

how can i speed things up, ???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kd7ura

Re: Help, slow etho1 file transfer between local machines 45 hrs

Post by kd7ura »

still slow, a bit faster or 14 to 24Mbps i reboot #1 with usbstick live 17.1, and restart #2 after updates
then re did smbd connect and add again samba.services to #1 from the link network 2 linux mint machines link found in forum,, now i have to relearn how to mod my live install for perm samba,, would be very nice to move lots of files faster for windows killing without hassles.
i get a few people asking if i can fix there windows systems, most i move to mint, a few have more saved junk than ive collected in 20 years.
and they absolutely cant part with any of it, this system has 270GB of vidio and photo saved, i went through windows found all files and saved to a folder
now im trying a transfer to another win machine #2 thats been fixed to mint17.3 that has a 600G hd

so any ideas as to how i can push these 100Mbps etho cards to max?? or get better than 25%

my paths for files are mint/media/Acer/Saved stuff on #1 the windows hdd to the full linux machine but i cant access the live machines files from the #2 machine, i can see the mint machine through the windows share on mint or network /windows network/WORKGROUP/mint/Acer.
but cant mount the Acer file from #2 i get permission denied
on #1 machine i see #2 SMB in network but in #2 machine i see the #2 machine and #2 SMB no indication of #1 except through the windows network folder
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I don't know if you are still having an issue with this but I can't help thinking you are using the wrong tool for the job. You are using a scalpel ( samba ) when a bread knife ( http ) would do the job faster.

You might want to try something called: woof

On the machine that has all these files you want to transfer:

** Install woof:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install woof
** Then in the terminal run woof pointing to the directory that contains all these files. For example I will specify the Downloads folder in a user's home directory:

woof -u /home/tester1/Downloads
When you do that a temporary http server is created for the single purpose of transmitting that folder to one other person on the network:
tester1@vmint173cin ~ $ woof -u /home/tester1/Downloads
Now serving on http://192.168.0.106:8080/
On the machine that wants to download this folder:

** Open an internet browser and specify that ip address and port:

//192.168.0.106:8080
** When you do that you will get a pop-up that looks something like this:
woof-client.png
Once the transfer is complete the http server is terminated.

By default woof will compress the folder to a tar.gz but you may spend more time compressing and uncompressing the folder if it's as large as you say so I specified the "-u" parameter which tells woof to create an uncompressed archive ( tar ) instead.

HTTP is going to be faster than Samba but no matter how you look at it 200GB+ is a large amount of data to transfer all at once regardless of the protocol used.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
kd7ura

Post by kd7ura »

thanks ill try woof, i started to do the transfer 2 days ago, i move about 200 gigs at 74.4Mbbs,,, today i turned on both computers again had about 2 hrs remaining on transfer at time of shut down and now only getting 8.7Mbps i rebooted both computers again and same speed?? 8.7Mbps
its not making any sense why such a variation on transfer speed from day to day??
2.8 max after several reboots, 2 days later 74.4Mbps just booted and started transferring files, today 8.7 Mbps same 2 computers after rebooting both same speed 8.7 max???
kd7ura

Post by kd7ura »

i tried woof , no luck. i get woof working on #1 and browser directed from #2 ,, computer #1 sees #2 access but #2 browser only says connecting, no pop up
#1 has live usb running may not allow transfer or access by woof, terminal was tried from main dir and directly from acer directory where saved files exist on #1 i see attempt by #2 to access through woof in both cases but not browser connect pop up on #2 only connecting shows in browser tab
both Acer drive and sub folders are set to allow share
kd7ura

Post by kd7ura »

boot order helped, booted, #2 first, then #1 im not sure, guess a slave master thing with live usb and updated samba on #2, running 80Mbps
blah,, crazy how the live usb boots faster than the full install by more than 60 seconds ..
ill try woof again when i have full installs on both machines and see how the data return to #1 goes,,
should i charge by the hr or gig for data recovery?? ;) :twisted:
kd7ura

Post by kd7ura »

still a problem,, i got speeds up to 80 Mbps finish the transfer 270GB to #2 computer.
installed Linux mint on #1 now I’m maxed out 12 to 14 Mbps moving files back.
if i try and access either computer through the WORKGROUP folder either direction i get a request for password
so i follow path through #2smb link in network to public folder where the saved file resides and use cut and past because i have to shut things down .
im on solar and only have a 5 hr window for electric use with computers rest is used from batts and runs the entertainment system till bed time
with cut and past i don’t have to restart a partial complete transfer and risk data loss.

any ideas as to why i get such extrem differences in transfer speeds??
i may start another post on such variations !!

Return to “Networking”