Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
gekxxx

Re: Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Post by gekxxx »

The introduction of systemd in Sarah is a major step forward. Out of the posts I suspect LM17 still uses systemv. Used Debian 8 before and it works like charm.
maggy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maggy »

What happened to the pattern of ending the name in "a"? Leave off the "h"
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

I switched from Ubuntu to Mint 13 (Maya) some years back and have been using Mint ever since. As long as Mint functions reliably, as it has done so in the past, the "name" is not important... unless you want to call it "John" :D

J
gekxxx

Post by gekxxx »

gekxxx wrote:The introduction of systemd in Sarah is a major step forward. Out of the posts I suspect LM17 still uses systemv. Used Debian 8 before and it works like charm.

I did some research on my LM Mate 17.3. It uses systemd. I'm very happy ir does.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

As a bit of clarification, while Mint 17.x uses some aspects of systemd and the myriad applications/tools that come with it, the init system is still either sysvinit or upstart (I forget which one). :D

On LMDE Betsy, we have a choice whether to use sysvinit/upstart/whatever-it-is (the default) or full-blown systemd, simply by choosing the corresponding option in "Advanced Options" in Grub.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Long-Time-Rider01

Post by Long-Time-Rider01 »

To those who earlier stated 'why have females names', wh ynot use male names when it gets back around to "a"? :roll:
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Because it's the rule and that's it... Why would we change this?
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Long-Time-Rider01 wrote:To those who earlier stated 'why have females names', wh ynot use male names when it gets back around to "a"? :roll:
I'm sure it's not politically correct, but: Maybe Clem is heterosexual (and a male), lol?

I don't care whether Clem is or isn't - but it could explain things. Heterosexual males seem to have a tendency to name inanimate objects with female names - even though such things are obviously neither female NOR male, and it is utterly nonsensical to name them after either in the first place.

Although the above might (IDK) only apply to heterosexual males who reside in the United States, come to think of it. Here, the people who confuse things with people will use "she" and "her" in place of "it" and "its," but I think maybe people in some countries (Germany?) will refer to, for example, a ship that they once served on while in the navy, as "he." So... IDK.

I still wish that Clem would call Mint 18.0...

Mint 18.0. And leave it at that. <SHRUGS> But he is giving it to me for FREE, lol, so I won't be overly troubled even if he decides to call it Mint Oscar the Grouch (hey, that puppet is GREEN ;) ).

Laughing,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

MtnDewManiac wrote:I think maybe people in some countries (Germany?) will refer to, for example, a ship that they once served on while in the navy, as "he."
Time for some fun off-topic talk... Well, the Dutch sailors (the neighbours) refer to such a ship as "she", even though it should grammatically be "it" (and therefore "his", etc.). That's because both us Dutchies and our eastern neighbours have three word genders in our languages: male, feminine and neuter. The ship = het schip / das Schiff, which is neuter.

Yet ships somehow strike us as feminine. That's psychology, I think. :mrgreen:

Oh well. What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

MtnDewManiac wrote: but I think maybe people in some countries (Germany?) will refer to, for example, a ship that they once served on while in the navy, as "he." So... IDK.
It's because you only speak English. If like some of us, English was not your mother tongue, you would understand why we have a hard time to say "it" for animals or things...
As Pjotr said, in Dutch, French, or German, we have a gender differentiation for everything. Especially, nothing is neutral in French even if some words can be used with feminine or masculine.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

From a native German:

A ship named by its generic name is neutral: Das Schiff (The ship).
But called by its own name it is female: Die Andrea Doria, Die Europa, even Die King Edward (although the person who gave the name was male), die Titanic.
BTW: In case of airplanes its is really weird: Die Boeing, Die Illushyn, Die Concorde, Die Cessna, but Der Airbus.
(Die = female "the", Der = male "the")
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I learn something every day. Even though it was a bit off topic, I found it interesting. Thanks, folks.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I'm a bit late...
but in Spanish we also extensively use masculine/feminine pronouns.

So for example a "rock" is feminine, i.e. "La roca." A fork is masculine, "El tenedor."
But in English you know that both of these are neutral.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

FWIW, I don't find the human names particularly charming or helpful, especially since the point releases started to be used seriously with version 17.

Honest, two years from now is anybody going to remember off the top of head whether Qiana, Rafaela, Rebecca or Rosa were point releases 17, 17.1-2-3 in that order, will it just waste everybody's time to refer those monikers without the version number? I thought Android's sweet dessert names were cute, for about a week a few years ago, then started calling them Android G, J, K, L, M for short. That would work fine for Mint if something other than the version number is wanted at all, which isn't by me.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

I don't care what its named.

What I do care about is my hardware. Specifically my AMD GPU. Ubuntu will not support the fglrx drivers for it in version 16.04, will mint 18 drop support for it as well?

Restricting me to open source drivers to run hardware I paid for is not acceptable.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

This thread is now on page 3. I cannot remember, that the announcements for the names for the previous releases created such an extensive discussion.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

stormryder wrote:What I do care about is my hardware. Specifically my AMD GPU. Ubuntu will not support the fglrx drivers for it in version 16.04, will mint 18 drop support for it as well?

Restricting me to open source drivers to run hardware I paid for is not acceptable.
Then simply stick to Mint 17.3 for the time being. A solution is likely to emerge long before the end of support for the 17 series.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

stormryder wrote:Restricting me to open source drivers to run hardware I paid for is not acceptable.
Okay, so if you won't accept it... what then? :?: :?: :?:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

M0em wrote:
stormryder wrote:Restricting me to open source drivers to run hardware I paid for is not acceptable.
Okay, so if you won't accept it... what then? :?: :?: :?:
He may pay for the software... :lol:
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

He could just download the drivers from ATI and install them himself?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”