[Solved] easiest photo editor?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] easiest photo editor?

Post by catch22 »

Advice wanted:
The simplest editor possible for photo editing.
I need to add text to a photo, that's it!

So the only fancy stuff I need, is nice fonts; there's no need to edit the photo itself.
Thus the lowest learning curve possible please - it's something I have to do only occasionally.

In the irc I was advised to go with Shutter, but there I couldn't find how to delete text once it's in there, and I already managed to erase a great photo I had :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: easiest photo editor?

Post by all41 »

pinta is available in the repositories and is a basic but good
photo utility. Just open a photo, select the font, size, color and click the
T (text) icon on the left and add the text. Then flie/save as and give it a new name.
When you close out the program it will ask if you want to save the changes to the original or not.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

+1 for Pinta.
It's small, simple and yet powerful enough to manipulate pictures (also adding text, of course) :)
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "catch22",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

+1 for Pinta

There is also "KolourPaint" which is super simple and quick; It is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). Just click the Text tool, draw a text box wherever you want it, click text box type "opaque" background or "transparent" background (on bottom left), pick a text color (on bottom), font (upper right), and font size, and type in your text, and you can resize and or move the text box if you want to as well.

KolourPaint Manual in PDF
https://docs.kde.org/trunk4/en/kdegraph ... rpaint.pdf

Hope this helps ...

Sample screen shot of KolourPaint editing a screen shot to add text and highlight certain areas
KolourPaint.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

using Libre Office Draw will also allow text to be added,
but you would have to save the result as a ODT
or export it to a PNG or JPEG file.

mine are just kept as a ODT file.
& then printed out.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

In Libre Office Draw the FontWork gallery is very cool
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Phatch, it's in the repo's.
Besides adding text to your pictures you ca also resize them, complete folders or just a single or multiple files
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

This task would also be super simple to do using Inkscape as it (and other vector based apps like Libreoffice Draw) allow you to create a composite image comprised of objects which include other images, vector graphics and text. Just drag the image into Inkscape, select the text tool and write over the image using it... And because the text and image are two distinct objects, you can easily come back days later and delete the text that you added without affecting the underlying image in any way. Likewise, you can re-position the text in relation to the image (or other objects) if you want without difficulty. My advice is to boot up from a live CD/DVD and install any or all of these mentioned apps and just spend some time playing with them.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Another vote for Pinta. And it's best to always save the changed file under a new name so you'll never have to worry about reverting the changes you made.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by catch22 »

Thank you kindly for all the suggestions.
I will be looking into each single one more in depth during the week.

I happened to pick up a magazine in the supermarket this afternoon also, with an article about ImageMagick. That's another option added to the list.

Undecided at present, but marking solved in confidence 8)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [Solved] easiest photo editor?

Post by Pjotr »

A word of caution about Pinta: it's dependent on the Mono infrastructure. So if you've just removed Mono out of security concerns, installing Pinta will pull Mono right back into your system.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Pjotr",

Good point on the "mono" sub-system security issue. "Pjotr", I have a question on that. If you have "mono" installed to run certain applications, are you only at risk when those applications are running and using the "mono" sub-system, or are you at risk all the time just having "mono" sub-system installed? I would like that answered regarding the Linux "Wine" system as well, although I no longer use "Wine" or have it installed.

It looks like the "mono-project" people are keeping fairly up to date in making sure it is secure, but I do not know that for sure. It looks as if the "mono" programs on my Mint system are version 3.2.8.

LinuxSecurity.com - Mono vulnerabilities
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/163543/

Mono-project.com - Vulnerabilities
http://www.mono-project.com/docs/about- ... abilities/
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

@phd21: First one, if you run a mono-based application. (In Wine I do not accept to install Mono).
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

The background is: Mono poses a limited risk. Because it allows cross-platform software (based on Microsofts .NET) to run on Linux, including (at least theoretically) specially crafted malware and viruses. It's not high-risk, though: the risk is limited.

But why run even a limited risk, when you have no real need for legitimate Mono based software? That's why I advise to remove Mono as a standard practice, and to install non-Mono alternatives for the two applications that are being removed together with Mono. :)
Last edited by Pjotr on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

But why run even a limited risk, when you have no real need for legitimate Mono based software? That's why I advise to remove Mono as a standard practice, and to install non-Mono alternatives for the two applications that are being removed together with Mono.
Is there a tutorial/guide for doing this properly. I see tons of dependants.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

all41 wrote:
But why run even a limited risk, when you have no real need for legitimate Mono based software? That's why I advise to remove Mono as a standard practice, and to install non-Mono alternatives for the two applications that are being removed together with Mono.
Is there a tutorial/guide for doing this properly. I see tons of dependants.
This one on my own website, for example:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... o-and-Orca
(item 2.1, right column)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Thanks Pjotr--I knew I had seen this somewhere before.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Thank you "Pjotr", (and Cosmo) for the replies,

I checked my "system monitor" to see if anything using "mono" was running be default, and there was not. Once I started using a program that required mono, then that changed of course. I figured if you are only using a program like "Pinta" or "KeePass2" once in awhile, then the "threat" is minimal, and only while using it. On the other hand, if you keep any program that does use the 'Mono" system, open for a long time, like "Pinta" to edit a bunch of images, or you use KeePass2, versus KeePassX, and keep that open for a long time, then you increase your risk. And, as you pointed out, why take any risk with this when it is unncessary.

On my Mint system, I have these programs that use "Mono": Sysinfo, Pinta, KeePass2, mistelix. Even though the risk seems relatively low, I am going to remove them and use programs that do not use the "mono" system. For Image and photo editing and creation programs, there are many, and I already have Gimp, KolourPaint, Inkscape, Blender3, Phatch, ImageMagick, XNViewMP, LibreOffice Draw, Krita (Calligra), and more, etc... and none of these use the "Mono" system. And, the newer version of "KeePassX (v2.x)" can now read the wonderful "KeePass2" password files directly, so I do not really need "KeePass2" either, although I still like some features that are available in that, but as of yet are not in KeePassX.

What about the Linux "Wine" System, does that have anything running by default, even if there are no "Wine" programs running? Does it pose a security threat just having it installed, or only when using an application installed in Wine? I cannot use my "System Monitor" to check that because I do not have anything "Wine" related installed anymore.

Thanks again ...
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

What risk are we talking about here, Pjotr? What makes a mono application any different from other Linux applications that get installed from the repos?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

phd21 wrote:What about the Linux "Wine" System,
For Wine there's the same objection as for Mono.

I advise to run the Windows application(s) that you still need, in a secure sandbox: namely within a Windows VM in VirtualBox in Linux. That's a much safer solution.

I've sent you a PM, by the way. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”