How to Install ClamAV on Mint 17.3 xfce? [solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JazzAzz

Post by JazzAzz »

I had ClamTX on my older "Mint 17," But here I went to the SOFTWARE MANAGER and have installed EVERYTHING in there that says "ClamAV,"

But nothing has shown up anywhere in my Menu, with the Clam Gui that I had in "17."

Clam is not even listed anywhere. What am I doing wrong???

Thanks for any info
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Newbie, Just Installed 17.3 "XFCE"

Post by richyrich »

Have you logged into and looked in Synaptic Package Manager ?
JazzAzz

Post by JazzAzz »

richyrich wrote:Have you logged into and looked in Synaptic Package Manager ?

Yes I have looked for anything that may lead me to the ClamTX or ClamAV GUI, but nada. There are a bunch of CLAM things there, but like I said, I already installed the four or maybe five I found in the Software manager, but nothing mentions the GUI there or in Synaptic. But thye are not calling it Synaptic in this LITE "XFCE" version (Program Manager), which I installed because my old, 10 yr. old, desktop (Next Month) is just too slow with the full version of Mint 17.

Will have to play with it again a little later, before bed. I'm on my Chromebook at this moment, and need to get OFFLINE, stuff to do :-)

Thanks
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I'm running Mint 17 Xfce, opened the (Synaptic) Package Manager and did a search for "clam", clamtk is right there !

JazzAzz

Post by JazzAzz »

richyrich wrote:I'm running Mint 17 Xfce, opened the (Synaptic) Package Manager and did a search for "clam", clamtk is right there !

Thanks, I really thought that would do it, but still no listing of CLAM anywhere in the MENU, (and I did a RESTART too), under, "ALL," NOWHERE. This "XFCE," is definitely a horse of a different color. I hope that I did not mess up replacing Mint 17 with this. Also when I came out of suspend, unlike when BOOTING UP, coming out of suspend, did NOT ask me for my password, which I prefer being asked for that, and no idea where to set that>>>>GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

But one thing at a time. I WANT MY CLAM BACK :-)
JazzAzz

Post by JazzAzz »

meteorrock wrote:Do you know how some advice NOT to install an antivirus for Linux distros like our Linux Mint? As most virus target a Windows OS? Does not mean there is NO virus for Linux, expecially if you are using a Java Runtime Environment on the internet for gaming or browsing the web. Doing some research online, I have found there is an OPEN source project that does just this. They develop an antivirus software for linux. These developers are from those that write kernels for linux like Linus Torvalds himself along with developers from linux.org. So if they are using this antivirus for their linux distros I am going to do the same :) I will be posting a short tutorial for installing this nice antivirus along with its User interface if you want to use a GUI for your antivirus. There website is at this link here for source. http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/

Install clamav in Linux Mint.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install clamav clamav-daemon clamav-freshclam
The above will get the CLI (command line interface) program for ClamAV along with it daemon and its tools. What is a dameon? In multitasking computer operating systems, a daemon is a computer program that runs as a background process, rather than being under the direct control of an interactive user.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This will complete the basic scanner installation.

~~~~~~~~~~

Now for a GTK frontend for the Clam AntiVirus scanner, that will use your GTK engines on Linux Mint by default:

If you want to install GTK frontend for the Clam AntiVirus scanner in Linux Mint, you can install avscan or clamtk. I went with Clamtk as that GUI has a real nice interface, and I love bells and whistles on my linux mint.

sudo apt-get install clamtk

Thats all you need to install this great antivirus program for Linux Mint. Check your menu box and you will find it now listed in your Menu box if you are using the MATE desktop enviroment or the Cinnamon Desktop environment.

Out of all of the Linux Antivirus I tried yesterday, this one is by far the EASIEST and most pretty antivirus for Linux, and its developed by the Open source community. I tried Avira, Avast, and Comodo antivirus and they all want you to build a kernel module or other tools for their use. And their User interface is bland and ugly.

Hope this helps :

Well I replaced Mint 17 with, 17.3 "XFCE" today, because of my ten yr. old desktop (Next month) , and I have tried installing Clam from the Software Manager. Someone else, pointed out what to install from the Synaptic (Package) Manager, and now I tried all these Terminal, "Sudo," commands, and not one suggestion has gotten me my ClamTK Gui back. Even after trying a RESTART, not showing up in the menu, under, "ALL, " or ANYWHERE>>>GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Last edited by karlchen on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Yea, it takes a bit to get the hang of Xfce, but once you do . . you'll love it! :-)
Check the Internet, Settings, and System menu groups, I'm sure you'll find it. (I haven't used any anti-virus on my Mint machines in 7 yrs.)

Passwords can be set in the Screensaver program, OR the Power Manager program. You'll find a checkbox to tick.
JazzAzz

Post by JazzAzz »

richyrich wrote:Yea, it takes a bit to get the hang of Xfce, but once you do . . you'll love it! :-)
Check the Internet, Settings, and System menu groups, I'm sure you'll find it. (I haven't used any anti-virus on my Mint machines in 7 yrs.)

Passwords can be set in the Screensaver program, OR the Power Manager program. You'll find a checkbox to tick.

Thank-you. Will head over there.
JazzAzz

Post by JazzAzz »

richyrich wrote:Yea, it takes a bit to get the hang of Xfce, but once you do . . you'll love it! :-)

Just checked for that option in SCREENSAVER, and there does not appear to be one there, also I can not find a POWER MANAGER as I had in Mint 17, thinking SCREENSAVER took its' place. So still stumped where to do this.
JazzAzz

Post by JazzAzz »

Sorry, I stand corrected. There is a POWER MANAGER, but no box to check requiring a password>>GRRRRRRRRRR.
JazzAzz

Post by JazzAzz »

LOL>>Don't know what I did, but I went into SUSPEND, and when I came out of it, it was on a LOCK screen and did ask me for my password, COOL.
JazzAzz

Post by JazzAzz »

Damn I feel like an IDIOT. I have been looking for "CLAM" and going down the list of, "ALL," it under, "Virus Scanner," unlike it was in Mint 17.

I am sorry guys!!
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Ahhh . . lol . The dreaded "Generic Names" in the menu syndrome! Right-click on the Menu button > choose Properties > then in the popup window, uncheck the "Use generic application names" checkbox.

Good luck, and have fun, :D
richy
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to Install ClamAV on Mint 17.3 xfce?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, JazzAzz.

Have you installed the software package clamtk, too? clamtk is the graphical user interface. It will have a launcher in the Mint Menu. Without clamtk, you will be left with commandline only.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

JazzAzz wrote:Damn I feel like an IDIOT. I have been looking for "CLAM" and going down the list of, "ALL," it under, "Virus Scanner," unlike it was in Mint 17.

I am sorry guys!!
Found here.

JazzAzz, when your issue is solved, please post that in all and any places where you posted about the problem... better yet, post about each problem only once. And now you can mark this thread as [SOLVED]! :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JazzAzz

Post by JazzAzz »

richyrich wrote:Ahhh . . lol . The dreaded "Generic Names" in the menu syndrome! Right-click on the Menu button > choose Properties > then in the popup window, uncheck the "Use generic application names" checkbox.

Good luck, and have fun, :D
richy

Nah, I know when to well enough leave things alone>>LOL
JazzAzz

Post by JazzAzz »

M0em wrote:
JazzAzz wrote:Damn I feel like an IDIOT. I have been looking for "CLAM" and going down the list of, "ALL," it under, "Virus Scanner," unlike it was in Mint 17.

I am sorry guys!!
Found here.

JazzAzz, when your issue is solved, please post that in all and any places where you posted about the problem... better yet, post about each problem only once. And now you can mark this thread as [SOLVED]! :)

I would>>LOL, but I am not sure which method installed it, using the Software manager, Package Manager, or those Sudo Commands in the terminal, since it could have been there at any time, since it was not listed in the menu under, "Clam," but under, "Virus Scanner." Who'd have thunk it :-). But here ya go>>>>>>"SOLVED.">> :-)
Last edited by JazzAzz on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to Install ClamAV on Mint 17.3 xfce? [solved]

Post by karlchen »

The term "Solved" has to be added to the title of the very first post in the thread.
Have done so already. :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
don250r

Post by don250r »

I would like to share a short story on my adventures with linux anti-virus.
I dual-boot win10 and LM17.3 Cinnamon.
I went looking for a copy of Star wars:The Force Awakens on TPB, on Windows(dont ask me why, im still wondering about that).
Of course, the odds were against me this time, and i DLed a virus,malware copy.
Tore my Win10 a new one :oops:
So i tried Windows Defender(no dice, it went after it,as well).
Tried deleting what i thought were infected files from LM on win partition.
Still, not good.
So i checked these out: http://www.networkworld.com/article/298 ... lware.html
Dont think ClamAV is a contender.
Tried sophos and escan. Sophos did not detect any Windows threats on the win partition.
However, escan found 26 threats and was able to quarantine/delete most of them, but made Win10 unusable.
So, im wondering if there really is a cross-platform scanner that is 100% effective?
I realize this is a Solved thread, and im hi-jacking, but it brings us back to why have AV on linux.
If you dual-boot, i would recommend having it for the above scenario, but only if you can get better results than me :cry:

EDIT:Sophos had issues with permissions on some folders, dont know why, but didnt investigate. Was looking for a quick fix :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

don250r wrote: So, im wondering if there really is a cross-platform scanner that is 100% effective?
No, there isn't. Simple as that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”